Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ive got a bit of a semi....(Uefa Cup)

• 24-04-2008 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

Yep, its hard to believe but tonight my beloved Rangers go up against Fiorentina in their first european semi final in 36 years.
    We certainly dont have our problems to seek going into it mind you, with McGregor, McCulloch, Burke and Naismith all ruled out through injury and Thomson and Ferguson suspended we really could be looking at a very different team from the one ive been watching all season.

In all honesty, im not massivly confident given the players missing and our awful record against Italian teams, but this is completely unchartered territory for me and i am determined to enjoy every second of it.
    At least untill kick off!

Bayern play Zenit in the other game, oh how nice a final against wee dick and fernando would be.........:rolleyes:

Im not even going to attempt a prediction tonight, ill leave that to you guys

Rangers V Fiorentina
    Bayern V Zenit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Fiorentina and Bayern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I'm gonna say Rangers and Bayern to make the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I read today that Zenit have that Arshamvin chap but play counter attacking football and are somewhat languishing in their league after winning it last year so Bayern have to be favourites

this is Rangers hardest tie so far in the UEFA cup but Fiorentina have Mutu & Vieri and have injuries to key players, but its the S/F maybe there's some magic to happen.

Either way lets hope for Goals after the low scoring C/L Semi finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Gwan The Gers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I read today that Zenit have that Arshamvin chap but play counter attacking football and are somewhat languishing in their league after winning it last year so Bayern have to be favourites

this is Rangers hardest tie so far in the UEFA cup but Fiorentina have Mutu & Vieri and have injuries to key players, but its the S/F maybe there's some magic to happen.

Either way lets hope for Goals after the low scoring C/L Semi finals.

If your wanting goals i would suggest you watch the Bayern game and not the Rangers game going by our record this season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Eirebear wrote: »
    If your wanting goals i would suggest you watch the Bayern game and not the Rangers game going by our record this season!

True enough, even though you guys have a lot of injuries, you still have 11 players to sit in front of your own goal :p Fair play though it has gotten you this far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

hoping rangers do it, they've been superb this season

True enough, even though you guys have a lot of injuries, you still have 11 players to sit in front of your own goal :p Fair play though it has gotten you this far.

Anti-Football at its finest! :D

Its weird, should the unthinkable happen and we do actually go on to win all 4guys like Broadfoot and Dailly will go down in history with some of the greatest Rangers players in history...... :eek::eek:

i'll watch if it isnt blocked on STV on Irish Sky. And to see how good this Cuellar guy is.

i'll watch if it isnt blocked on STV on Irish Sky.

Its on ITV4 also, coverage actually starts earlier on ITV4 due to the lack of soaps to get in the way.

• Advertisement

Its on ITV4 also, coverage actually starts earlier on ITV4 due to the lack of soaps to get in the way.

Is ITV4 on Sky? cant find it

Is ITV4 on Sky? cant find it

Not sure mate, im sure my old man gets it through his....possibly need to tune it in though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Hope the dark side make the final to push up the Scottish European rating. However it will be interesting to see how they do in a competition not governed by there "friends" in Scotland.

Hope the dark side make the final to push up the Scottish European rating. However it will be interesting to see how they do in a competition not governed by there "friends" in Scotland.

Well it seems we have done ok so far....:rolleyes:

Yep and fair dues. Of course you had the Gretna game moved to help you along...

Yep and fair dues. Of course you had the Gretna game moved to help you along...

Nope, we had the Gretna game moved in order to help us lose 3-0 to Lyon in a completely different competition.
    But hey!
    Why let the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory eh?

Nope, we had the Gretna game moved in order to help us lose 3-0 to Lyon in a completely different competition.
    But hey!

The only reason your in the UEFA cup is because of that "completely different competition" so easy there tiger.

But hey!

Well if you hadn't lost 3-0 to Lyon you wouldn't be in the UEFA Cup semi-final would you :p

The only reason your in the UEFA cup is because of that "completely different competition" so easy there tiger.
    Well if you hadn't lost 3-0 to Lyon you wouldn't be in the UEFA Cup semi-final would you :p

Considering that before that game we had already qualified for at least the UEFA cup, its impossible to say that getting the Gretna game moved has helped us progress in any way whatsoever.

And dont worry CountingCrows, im perfectly relaxed about this as ive said, im determined to enjoy the build up to this.

On a serious note if you had to choose between the League and the UEFA cup - which would you take?

• Advertisement

On a serious note if you had to choose between the League and the UEFA cup - which would you take?

Ive said the league all along, because all along ive never really believed we could win the UEFA cup.

But the closer we get to the final, the more im unsure because i honestly believe that it could be a "once in a lifetime" occasion.

The league however is our bread and butter, and after a seriously painful couple of years it would be hugely gratifying to win it this year.

At the start of the season the only thing i wanted was to challenge Celtic this season, by that i mean to still be involved in the league at this stage. Everything else was a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

What are you suggesting? that Darth Vader supports Rangers?

Got ITV4 on other channels, await tonights epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Not sure mate, im sure my old man gets it through his....possibly need to tune it in though?

yep then accessed tru "other channels"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

What are you suggesting? that Darth Vader supports Rangers?

Why do you think he wears that breathing apparatus ?
    His throat was slit by a celtic fan as he tried to help a kitten down from a tree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Think that Rangers will get through to the final by the skin of their teeth. 1-0 tonight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

gonna be up for rangers if not only for the brilliant thread title :p

Rangers have announced their line up early, they name two strikers, but I guess Novo will play out wide

Rangers: Alexander, Broadfoot, Cuellar, Weir, Papac, Dailly, Whittaker, Davis, Hemdani, Novo, Darcheville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Hopefully Rangers will get skelped and add a couple more to that injury list

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

And to see how good this Cuellar guy is.

Smith should have stuck Cuellar in goals while McGregor is out. Going on last week's game, he'd make a better keeper than Alexander. ;)

I'll watch the game in Mordor tonight, if only to see the rare sight that is a Rangers player getting a yellow card. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Bayern 1-0 at half time.
    Ribery scored rebound from his own missed pen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

rangers getting dominated but feck all chances really.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What are the commentators on Setanta on about ? (Macari & ?) saying if Fiorentina had Toni tonight it could all be so different, they sold him ffs, it's not like he's injured. In that case if the had Batistuta they would probably have scored too :rolleyes:.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

They introduced the game as "Scottish league leaders Rangers up against...". Great work there Setanta *thumbs up*

If there's any justice in football then Fiorentina will win this, and hopefully some of this evil bunch get injured. Wouldn't mind seeing Novo get his jaw broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Bayern 1-1, og Lucio

• Advertisement

They introduced the game as "Scottish league leaders Rangers up against...". Great work there Setanta *thumbs up*

If there's any justice in football then Fiorentina will win this, and hopefully some of this evil bunch get injured. Wouldn't mind seeing Novo get his jaw broken.

A big giant :rolleyes: to you.

There is always one, back to the barstool with you!

if the first leg was in Tuscany i'd be more confident of Rangers getting to Manchester

What's your problem sonshine? Nacho Novo is a scumbag, I wouldn't mind seeing him injured because he's a nasty little man, not very complex logic there.

Nacho Novo is a scumbag,.

Not sure if standard rules apply to Novo, but thats a bannable offence for anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Co-sign Fionn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Stekelly wrote: »
    Not sure if standard rules apply to Novo, but thats a bannable offence for anyone else.

back seat moderating ftw!

You must be joking? If that really is a bannable offence here then I won't even bother posting on these boards again anyway.

Unearthly wrote: »
    back seat moderating ftw!

Yep. It's the best place to do it from.

Just because this is Ireland and Rangers is the subject doesnt mean anything goes.

Another fantastic advert for eh... anti-football

You must be joking? If that really is a bannable offence here then I won't even bother posting on these boards again anyway.

Just made it easier for you, banned.

kdjac

another 0-0 in Tuscany and penalty win for Rangers methinks!

Maybe Celtic should try it. They might be still in Europe then.:p

Maybe Celtic should try it. They might be still in Europe then.:p

Nah, would not go down well playing 8-1-1

Nah, would not go down well playing 8-1-1

yeah cos playing a 118 really wins the fans over, strachan is a legend for his football eh?

kdjac

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Have to admit, I'd been inclined to defend how Rangers had played in this competition up to now, but that was awful crap tonight. They should have well beaten Fiorentina who looked more like Gretna than a Serie A side.

Ugly Betty deserved MOTM. The rest were poor, aside from Alexander who was pretty good.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement