Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

22 primary schools sanctioned

• 24-04-2008 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0424/education.html

Full press release is below if you want to read it. Obviously being on the Board of one of them I'm delighted :)
    22 New Primary schools receive recognition from September 2008

Statement from Mary Hanafin T.D. Minister for Education & Science

Following consideration of the report and recommendations of the New Schools Advisory Committee on the recognition of new primary schools, the Minister for Education and Science, Mary Hanafin, TD, has given approval for the establishment of 22 new schools - 18 new primary schools and 4 special schools - from September 2008 in accordance with Section 10 of the Education Act 1998 and the published criteria for recognition of new schools.

The 22 new schools include
    12 Multi-Denominational,
    5 Catholic Denominational, three of which are Gaelscoileanna
    1 Inter-Denominational
    4 Special Schools, including a special school for children with Autism

Details of the schools to be recognised are as follows:

Characteristic Spirit
    Rush
    Co Dublin
    Foras Pátrúnachta na Scoileanna Lán Ghaeilge
    Gaelscoil
    Catholic
    Edenderry Town
    Offaly
    Gaelscoil
    Catholic
    Greystones
    Wicklow
    Inter - Denominational Gaelscoil
    Belmayne North
    Dublin 13
    Archbishop of Dublin

Catholic
    English Medium
    Castleblayney
    Monaghan
    Bishop of Clogher

Gaelscoil
    Catholic
    Rochestown
    Cork
    Bishop of Cork and Ross

Catholic
    English Medium
    Carlow Town
    Carlow
    Educate Together

Multi-Denominational
    English Medium
    Carrigaline
    Cork
    Educate Together

Multi-Denominational
    English Medium
    Drogheda North
    Louth
    Educate Together

Multi-Denominational
    English Medium
    Belmayne North
    Dublin 13
    Educate Together

Multi-Denominational
    English Medium
    Greystones
    Wicklow
    Educate Together

Multi-Denominational
    English Medium
    Kincolgan-Clarinbridge
    Galway
    Educate Together

Multi-Denominational
    English Medium
    Lucan East
    Dublin
    Educate Together

Multi-Denominational
    English Medium
    Maynooth
    Kildare
    Educate Together

Multi-Denominational
    English Medium
    Midleton
    Cork
    Educate Together

Multi-Denominational
    English Medium
    North Swords
    Co Dublin
    Educate Together

Multi-Denominational
    English Medium
    Skerries
    Co Dublin
    Educate Together

Multi-Denominational
    English Medium
    Wexford Town
    Wexford
    Educate Together

Multi-Denominational
    English Medium
    Ballinasloe
    Galway
    Ability West
    Special School for children with severe and profound learning disabilities and
    attendant physical and sensory needs
    Aged 4 – 18
    Carraroe
    Galway
    Ability West
    Aged 4 – 18
    Tuam
    Galway
    Ability West
    Aged 4 – 18
    Cork City
    Cork
    The Cope Foundation
    Special School for children with autism

In relation to the application made by Educate Together in respect of a proposed school in Carpenterstown, the Minister has indicated that because the new model of primary schools patronage is be piloted in this area from September 2008, it is not proposed to approve this application from September of this year. However, given the anticipated continuing increase in primary enrolments in the area, this does not preclude the approval of such an application at a later date.

The Minister has decided to grant recognition to the Educate Together application in respect of Belmayne North in recognition of the population growth in this area, despite the fact that this application was not recommended by the New Schools Advisory Committee. The granting of recognition in this case is due to the expectation that there will be sufficient pupils in the area to warrant the establishment of a new school from September 2008.

The Minister has not granted recognition to the proposed Interdenominational Primary school in the Curragh, Co. Kildare pending the outcome of the Department’s assessment of the proposed patron body.

ENDS

24th April 2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

When are the above schools expected to be completed and opened??

Im currently on the job hunt and would love to try educate together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

They're all to open this September. But a word of warning - don't bother sending your CV in yet. We can't accept job applications until they've been advertised. And they won't be advertised until there's a principal in place. Ads for principals will be advertised next week I think. That could take a month to 6 weeks to fill the positions. So watch the papers and ed. job sites. I'll post here when the ads are in the papers too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Macros42 wrote: »
    I'll post here when the ads are in the papers too.

just in case you dont think it, I'm cool with that.

yes, i do read all the posts, eventually.

apologies for the spamming last week, sorted now i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

When are the above schools expected to be completed and opened??

Im currently on the job hunt and would love to try educate together

The Educate together panel is already cleared for existing schools - so check out the usual websites cos some posts have already been advertised.

For the 12 new schools there won't be any advertisements for teaching posts until after principals are hired. Of course existing schools could well be advertising for teachers.

• Advertisement

They're all to open this September. But a word of warning - don't bother sending your CV in yet. We can't accept job applications until they've been advertised. And they won't be advertised until there's a principal in place. Ads for principals will be advertised next week I think. That could take a month to 6 weeks to fill the positions. So watch the papers and ed. job sites. I'll post here when the ads are in the papers too.

Excellent thanks!!
    Im watching educationposts and the paper like a hawk so i probably wont miss it.

ArthurDent wrote: »
    The Educate together panel is already cleared for existing schools - so check out the usual websites cos some posts have already been advertised.

What are the unusual websites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

as some of you may know I am trying to get an autism unit for Balbriggan.So I will ask , if possible would any of the above schools consider a asd class within their school.For their area, so that parents dont have to do what parents of asd children have to do here beg for a place in theri community/travel for miles to a school.
    just a thought.
    cathy

Ad in paper for principals today. when an i expect to see ad's for teachers?

Teacher's posts won't be advertised until the principals are in place. Closing date for principal's applications is 15th May. Allow at least a month I'd say before they're filled. Then watch out for ads. I'll post here when I have further info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

how many of them have proper buildings?

Well the one for Lucan East/clonburris is being built at the moment and will be ready for Sept. 16 Classroom school

not too sure about the others though

Found this on the Educate Together website

Belmayne
    8 Classroom school at Belmayne on Malahide Road, Planning Permission granted.

Carlow
    Temporary accommodation being organised by the Department of Education and Science.

Carrigaline, Co. Cork
    Temporary accommodation to be confirmed, Planning Permission required.

Clonburris, Lucan, Co. Dublin
    8 Classroom near Oldbridge Estate, to be supplied by the Department of Education and Science.

Aston Gate - Drogheda North
    8 Classroom school at Ashton Gate, North Drogheda, on the Termonfeckin Road, Planning Permission granted.

Greystones, Co. Wicklow
    To be confirmed

Kilcolgan/Clarenbridge, Co. Galway

Maynooth, Co. Kildare
    8 Classroom school at Railpark, Celbridge Road, Maynooth, Planning Permission granted.

Midleton, Co. Cork

Skerries, Co. Dublin
    8 Classroom school in Kelly's Bay, Skerries, Planning Permission granted.

Swords (Thornleigh)
    8 Classroom School, to be located near Applewood Village, Planning Permission granted.

Wexford Town

I can't speak for other schools but Maynooth is getting a modular prefab temporary building initially. Some schools are getting repeat design buildings - these are also prefabricated but permanent buildings.

cathy01 wrote: »
    as some of you may know I am trying to get an autism unit for Balbriggan.So I will ask , if possible would any of the above schools consider a asd class within their school.For their area, so that parents dont have to do what parents of asd children have to do here beg for a place in theri community/travel for miles to a school.
    just a thought.
    cathy
    I can say with a fair degree of certainty that no school (apart from the designated special schools) will have an autism unit or probably even an SNA on day 1. That's not the fault of the school or the respective patrons - it's just the way the Department works. SNAs etc are allocated as needed and until a child is actually attending/enrolled the need isn't there. It's crazy but that's the way it is.

I think I should point out my own personal disclaimer here now - I do not work for Educate Together or any educational establishment. I'm not a teacher or civil servant. I'm merely a parent who is involved with other local parents and Educate Together to get our school up and running. Anything I say here should not be taken as gospel. You will need to check with your local schools to get a definitive answer.

Teacher's posts won't be advertised until the principals are in place. Closing date for principal's applications is 15th May. Allow at least a month I'd say before they're filled. Then watch out for ads. I'll post here when I have further info.

Maynooth ETNS now has a principal and teaching posts are advertised. Some people here expressed an interest so here's a link to the ad.

http://www.educationposts.ie/primary/employee/searchvacancies2.php?id=12556&county1=Kildare&type1=Mainstream%20Teacher&status1=Any%20Status

Best of Luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

There's approx 11 new ETNS been advertised on there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MidletonHero

hey there, rumour has it that there's a principal appointed in Midleton and the school will open in September....however they do need some more pupils enroled to open. I think they need bout 20 pupils. Can anyone confirm this? All schools in the town seem to be getting really busy and full so this might ease the conjestion in schools. Does anyone know who the Principal is? Heard it was male.

This is their permanent mainstream vacancy as advertised on educationposts.ie

I don't suppose you know where in Midleton this new ETNS is being located?

apparently they have temporary accomodation at the town's Rugby Club until portacabins arrive. They'll be getting permanent structure in the next few years hopefully. Sounds like an exciting time.

• Advertisement

The Gaelscoil in Midleton still has no signs of getting a permanent structure.

Yeah but not sure what exactly the ins and outs of that saga is. Think it was an ugly threesome between the dept, builder and school. I know they've tried hard to get it. Hopefully having Midleton Educate Together in the town will assist in getting permanent buildings. What do you know about it?

Wasn't the Gaelscoil suppose to be built where Castlelands Construction built all those new houses over the flyover?

Oh I don't know much about it all I'm afraid.

Neither do i. Hopefully though the new school will start up. Seems all that is needed is word of mouth and they'll be up and running in no time. Suppose as they hadn't a principal appointed there was some uncertainty but now.....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 METLobbyist

Midleton Educate Together Start up Committee is please to announce that Rhodri Mears has accepted the position as M.E.T.N.S Principal, the school will open on the 29th of August in the Grounds of Midleton Rugby Club, 22 children will be starting school in August. We are also now able to announce that due to the number of children starting school we have been able to bring on board a second teacher, Any Martin has accepted the post and will be teaching Senior Infants, First & Second class and Rhodri junior Infants. The school has had 134 pre-enrolments for the next four years. If you want to pre-enrol your child go to www.midletonet.com, you will also find all the news and updates at this address. As a new school we are drastically under funded by the department of Education & Science, if you would like to lend your support to the school then come along to our fund razing Table Quiz in Wallis Bar @ 8:30pm on the 11th of August Tables are 30 euros the prizes are great and the crack will be mighty Dave Mac from Red FM will be the DJ for the night.
    The future looks good for M.E.T.N.S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 METLobbyist

Lobbying Our 166 T.D.'s on Behalf of Educate Together Secound Level Project

Hello All
    I have been lobbying our 166 T.D.’s to put pressure on Batt O’Keeffe to give Educate Together the go ahead to start opening Second Level schools. At this time I have received 17 responses to my e-mail, most of them have made a written representation to the Minister on my behalf. Olivia Mitchell has promised to bring it up with Batt O’Keeffe in September during Parliamentary Question time. I found all the e-mail addresses on Google, just search for e-mail addresses T.D. 30th Dail and a Doc file should come up. You can down load a standard letter from www.educatetogether.ie in the second level project tab or copy and paste it from this blog. Please support this campaign it only takes five minutes to send an e-mail to your local T.D. Thanks for your Help.

Dear Deputy
    When the first Educate Together primary school opened in South Dublin thirty years ago, it was as a result of a prolonged campaign by pioneering parents determined to exercise their constitutional and human right to choose a multi-denominational, democratic ethos for their children’s education. As you know, there are now 44 Educate Together primary schools established, with 12 more to open in September 2008.
    Since the right to choice in education does not cease when children reach the age of twelve, pressure has been mounting on Educate Together to expand its successful model into the post-primary sphere ever since, and the organisation is now ready to extend the positive contribution it is making to the second-level sector.
    Educate Together’s equality-based, innovative, learner-centred educational approach, (which my child benefits from in Midleton Educate Together national school) is ideally suited to preparing young people to live in 21st century Ireland (and I want my child(ren) to continue within this ethos at second-level).
    In December 2007 Educate Together applied to the Minister for Education and Science to be registered as a patron of second-level schools, based on its outstanding track record at primary level. I ask for your support in lobbying the Minister to confirm this registration as a matter of urgency so that Educate Together can proceed to work with families (like mine) at local level to provide for the type of modern, holistic, multi-denominational, education (we/they) want.
    I therefore ask you to contact the Minister for Education and Science directly on my behalf to ask him to confirm this registration without further delay.
    Many thanks,
    Kevin J, Lucey
    www.midletonet.com
    metlobbyist@gmail.com
    www.educatetogether.ie

Advertisement