Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worlds best 11 post 1994 World Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fair enough :) I just remember seeing him play and he was amazing :)

I shall take him out, but I'm unsure who to put in in his stead.

I don't think Cannavaro is that amazing. He only joined Inter at the age of 29, didn't win much, then went to Juve, where he won 2 leagues which were bought. Then he went to Madrid and has been crap. The one thing that puts him up there was his amazing performance in a world cup winning side, but imo that isn't enough to put him ahead of other defenders.

Hierro is a pretty good bet to be honest. 5 league titles and 3 CL's is just an amazing feat. I'm going to throw out a bit of an oddball here, but Sol Campbell could but a good bet to. He was an amazing defender not just for Arsenal, but for England aswell when he was constantly their best defender.

If I was changing my team, I utterly forgot about Raul, one of my favorite players, I'd pop him in ahead of the great dutchman, but only just.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Buffon
    Cafu---Nesta---Hierro---Maldini
    Keane---Redondo

Zidane
    ----Messi
    Ronaldinho---
    Ronaldo

Fair enough, Messi has much to prove and he might well be made of glass, but when he gets the ball you can but hold your breath and watch. That's what makes an attacking great IMO and all four of that front 4 had that ability at their peak. Ronaldo is the best striker I've ever seen, watching clips from that season he had at Barca is just a joy. Ronaldinho too, for the two or three seasons when he was the best player on earth, could do things no other player in history was able to do - unbelievable stuff. Zidane is the best player of his generation and quite possibly the best of all time IMO.

Cafu and Maldini pick themselves, but tbh I only started paying enough attention to football recently to be able to pick the centre backs, so I dunno about them really. Buffon is pure class - though I expect if you ask me in 5 years time Casillas will be ahead of him, absolutely wonderful keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Buffon

Went for Totti ahead of Zidane because Zizou was so inconsistent in Serie A. As a Juve fan I would get so frustrated with him. Totti performs week in week out

You cannot be a Juve fan if you've left out Alessandro Del Piero. Shame on you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNVxpMUUnB8&feature=related

One of the greatest goals ever scored.

PHB wrote: »
    For me, Irwin has to go in there. I think Maldini has been the better LB, but imo Irwin was better than Cafu.
    I think Cannavaro is somewhat overrated, i.e. still amazing but not quite up there with say Nesta or Baresi.

You managed to include to pearlers here.

Cannavaro not up there with Nesta?

Irwin in a world eleven? You are having a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Schmeichael

Roberto Carlos
    Hierro
    Desailly
    Cafu

Giggs
    Redondo
    Zidane
    Beckham

Raul
    Ronaldo

I've even managed to leave favourites like Shearer, Ginola and Luis Enrique out! No fücking team would come close to beating that group of players!!!

On the bench,

Casillas
    Batistuta
    Nesta
    Keane
    Henry

Rivaldo, Ronaldinho and one or two others were just unlucky or too lazy. Enrique should probably be on the bench as he could play literally any outfield position and look world class.

Edit: forgot about Figo, have him ahead of Becks or Giggs.

Buffon

Tassotti
    Hierro
    Costacurta
    Maldini

Nedved
    Zidane
    Desailly
    Boban

Del Piero
    Raul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Hierro band wagon jumpers. :p:p:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

People putting Messi into there teams, need a stern talking to. Maybe when ye are playing this game in 5 years time he might make in.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Hierro band wagon jumpers. :p:p:p:p
    The "Spanish Baresi" according to Capello. And a hero of mine ever since Euro 96. Passing, shooting, heading, timing, awareness, composure, leadership etc. all outstanding. Discipline was erratic. Most booked player in La Liga history.

• Advertisement

kinaldo wrote: »
    The "Spanish Baresi" according to Capello. And a hero of mine ever since Euro 96.

Im just saying, nowhere to be seen for 4 pages, and then poof he has a 100% record once I mention him. Hahaha, no seriously though, there was NEVER a centre back who had as much talent on the ball, his passes were Riquelme esque at times, I absolutely hated him, but he was just so so good. I mean, 100 goals in 450 games in the league is ridiculous for a defender, as well as 30 in 90 for Spain.

Luis Enrique is a great shout actually. I saw someone with a lovely formation on the previous page and I just might have to knick it off them... =) The rapidly disappearing 3-5-2 formation.

Boggles wrote: »
    People putting Messi into there teams, need a stern talking to. Maybe when ye are playing this game in 5 years time he might make in.

I agree.

Actually, Laudrup would be a pretty good shout too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

Buffon

Zambrotta Nesta Cannavaro Maldini

Del Piero Kaka Zidane Nedved

Baggio Ronaldo(mc donalds)

Cech
    Thuram
    Davids
    Henry
    Trezeguet
    Terry
    Gabriel Batistuta ( GOD ) *bows*

Manager - Lippi (no doubt)

seems to be alot of people connected to Juve in alot peoples teams ;)

Del piero is a great role model, what a legend, 17 goals this season in serie A, he never ever slowed down. Perfectionist is an understatement. makes my top 11 without a doubt.european player of year 97/98 ish too? and still poppin them in. wish i could shake hands with the man , maybe some day i will!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

spiderdan wrote: »
    Left winger- I found it the hardest position- no one really stood out- I went for Messi as he has that bit of magic in him, we could/ probably will be talking about him being an all time great!

Anyone disagree that Zidane is by far the greatest of his generation??

I can't choose between him and Ronaldo. It genuinely saddens me that we don't get to see them astonish us anymore.
    Agreed. I saw through page four Ronaldo mentioned in many teams and hoped to **** they didn't mean Cristiano so I had to read through the previous pages to confirm just to retain my sanity.

Schmeichel (his value in United winning the treble in 99 deserves more attention)

Cafu (crazy ****er who never stopped running)
    Cannavaro (the rest of the italian job)
    Nesta (the rest of the italian job)
    Maldini (true professional. Elegant)

Figo
    Zidane (God post Ronaldo injury)
    Keane (go on ya good thing)
    Ronaldinho (genius with the ball)

Ronaldo (God)
    Shevchenko (fantastic striker)

Subs:
    Buffon
    Kaka (put keane ahead of him because you need someone who isn't primarily offensive in midfield)
    Rivaldo (tough choice between him and Ronaldinho)
    Batistuta (the goal machine)
    Redondo (another elegant player)

I mean, 100 goals in 450 games in the league is ridiculous for a defender, as well as 30 in 90 for Spain.
    He played one season for Madrid mostly up front and scored over 20 goals. I think that was the year Toshack won the title with the team scoring over 100 goals in the league. Maybe it was after that. He also played in midfield a lot, took all their penalties and scored many free kicks.

• Advertisement

kinaldo wrote: »
    He played one season for Madrid mostly up front and scored over 20 goals. I think that was the year Toshack won the title with the team scoring over 100 goals in the league. Maybe it was after that. He also played in midfield a lot, took all their penalties and scored many free kicks.

Ya, but when in Midfield he was still a DMF, I dont think Ive heard stats like that for any other defender to play the game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Schmeichel

--Cafu----Nesta
    Desailly----Maldini-

Keane
    Zidane

-Figo
    Ronaldinho-
    Baggio

Ronaldo

reckon between zidane and baggio you could expect some magic to happen. and ronaldo is the best finisher of his generation... and if they dont score Roy Keane would EAT THEM!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7zTDASWiGY&NR=1

DSB wrote: »
    Schmeichel

Cafu
    Maldini
    McGrath
    Cannavaro

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Zidane
    Vieira
    Giggs

Ronaldo
    Henry

Are you an Arsenal fan? Obviously this is a subjective thing and people are entitled to their opinions. However, I cannot see how Vieira could possibly get into this team. He was owned constantly by Keane during his career.

I think Redondo is a good shout and can still remember the Real / Utd game from a few years back which I think was one of the few occasions where Keane came up short in a pressure tie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taoUoCzZPpE

I originally stuck Messi in on my time but I think Boggles is right. The more I think about the left wing position the more I think you have to stick Nedved in.

He could do it all in many ways - tough competitor; great team player; very useful from set pieces; able to score sublime goals; able to beat people with the ball at feet. I think he has an edge over Giggs in that he was a more rounded footballer and had a better ability to come inside and play from the centre of the pitch. Plus, if you are going to have a team of superstars and a midfield that has versatile players like Zidane and Figo who can switch and interchange then I think Nedved is a better fit than Giggs.

The thought of Figo; Zidane; Keane; Nedved all at their peaks in the one midfield is a bit terrifying. How would you stop them? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Schmeichel

Cafu
    Desailly
    Nesta
    Maldini

Hierro

Zidane
    Figo

Del Piero---Bergkamp

Ronaldo

Subs:

Buffon
    Batistuta
    Ronaldinho
    Totti
    Cannavaro
    Redondo
    Henry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Jazzy wrote: »
    --Cafu----Nesta
    Nesta----Maldini-

So good you named him twice?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

The more I think about the left wing position the more I think you have to stick Nedved in.

He could do it all in many ways - tough competitor; great team player; very useful from set pieces; able to score sublime goals; able to beat people with the ball at feet. I think he has an edge over Giggs in that he was a more rounded footballer and had a better ability to come inside and play from the centre of the pitch. Plus, if you are going to have a team of superstars and a midfield that has versatile players like Zidane and Figo who can switch and interchange then I think Nedved is a better fit than Giggs.

The thought of Figo; Zidane; Keane; Nedved all at their peaks in the one midfield is a bit terrifying. How would you stop them? :confused:

Couldn't agree more about Pavel. He's 35 and has been playing at the top level since joining Lazio in '96. It's no wonder that the Czech Rep. has punched above its weight for the last few tournaments. He is such a consummate professional (in the keane mode) and such a role model off the pitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDUgTwF3eLs&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Schmeichel

Cafu---Cannavaro---Adams----Maldini

Figo
    Möller*
    Zidane
    Giggs

Ronaldo
    Shearer

Subs
    Kahn
    Nesta
    Keane
    Bergkamp
    Del Piero
    Zola
    Makelele

*I know Möller wouldn't be most people top choice, but he's one of my favourite players ever and he was brilliant for both Dortmund and Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Schmeicel
    Cafu
    McGrath
    Nesta
    Maldini

Figo
    Zidame
    Keane
    Ronaldinho

Ronaldo
    Baggio

Subs:
    Buffon
    Scholes
    Nedved
    Romario
    Hierro
    Giggs
    Dessaily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Buffon

Thuram - Nesta - Cannavaro - Maldini

Makelele - Redondo 

Figo - Zidane - Ronaldiho

(Real)Ronaldo

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Sol Campbell is a good shout. Probably England's best defender in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

It'll be interesting to see the best overall based on the number of votes- from a quick glance through I'd say a few are shoo ins...

Based on 4.4.2. system! that is

Schmeichael
    Cafu
    Maldini
    Figo
    Keane
    Zidane (C)
    Ronaldo

A few interesting debates of note! Not so sure, I personally based much of my decisions on achievement i.e. International as well as club, too many players especially Spanish have consistently failed on the international stage, i.e. players like Raul, Hiero, etc undoubtedly great players but they haven't even come close to any international success.

I find the Cannavaoro, Nesta, Dessaily, debate extremely hard to call all of which are proven winners with World Cups, chams league, etc! Nedved on the left is a great choice IMO what a player!! I can see why Giggs is getting a few mentions, dominated the English league, but 1 champs league and Wales did him no favors, Nedved and Roaldinho and Rivaldo all ahead IMO.

One player I’m surprised to see not getting much of a mention is Kaka, he's had a poor season but he's been on fire the past 2 years!! And Steffen Effenberg too, B Munich did win a chaps league, Ballack another great player, dragged Germany through so many matches!

I'm very happy to see Redondo getting a few shouts- I mean I've never seen Keane look as clueless in a match before. And the back heel on Berg!! My god!!!

A few quotes.

“What does this player have in his boots? A magnet?” . Alex Ferguson

“a tactically perfect player.” Fabio Capello

Plus the fact when he moved to A.C. Milan he refused to take his first 2 years wages as he was constantly injured! What a legend, a true pro!!

Best DM- so close to call, can you choose him and Keane?? I personally like one DM along with an AM, with 2 upfront, but today 2DM and an AM with one upfront seems to be the most common- Chelsea, Barca, Utd, Liverpool!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

JimiTime wrote: »
    Schmeicel
    Cafu
    McGrath
    Nesta
    Maldini

Figo
    Zidame
    Keane
    Ronaldinho

Ronaldo
    Baggio

almost snap!
    Desailly > McGrath imo but its close :p
    i appreciate Baggio fans :pac:

Couldn't agree more about Pavel. He's 35 and has been playing at the top level since joining Lazio in '96. It's no wonder that the Czech Rep. has punched above its weight for the last few tournaments. He is such a consummate professional (in the keane mode) and such a role model off the pitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDUgTwF3eLs&feature=related

nice clip, Nedved is amazing and still is, i think hes about to sign a new 1 year contract at juventus. playing great this year. great at long shots! seen him score a cracker earlier in the season . amazing!

Jazzy wrote: »
    almost snap!
    Desailly > McGrath imo but its close :p
    i appreciate Baggio fans :pac:

Can't say I'm not being biased. For me, Keane and McGrath are just the greatest:D I think if this was realistic, taking into account McGraths injury and drink issues, Desailly would get it. But he was just my fav player in his day. Awesome.

Funnily enough, I don't see any England player bar Shearer. Has there really been none that could make it. I have Scholes in mine, allbeit on the bench, can't say I'd have anyone else though.

• Advertisement

In terms of England players, once again I think Campbell deserves a shout at CB. Ashley Cole also would be up there for LBs were it not for Maldini being just perfect.

In terms of England players, once again I think Campbell deserves a shout at CB. Ashley Cole also would be up there for LBs were it not for Maldini being just perfect.

But they're just not quite good enough. Kind of like the story of the England team really:D

Irwin although not English, but this is a world 11, would be streets ahead of Cole, not quite near Maldini thou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

IMO Adams was far superior to Sol in terms of english CB's
    He wasnt as fast as Sol put read the game far better was at the top of his game for longer and won more throphies.

Scholes was a great player and the best english midfeilder of the last 15 years but there is just to much competition in midfeild for him to make it

Blackburn era Shearer was the kind of goal machine you rarely see 110 goals in 130 appearances or something like that only pre injury ronaldo can compare to a 3-4 year spell of goalscoring like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Schmeichel

Irwin
    Desailly
    Nesta
    Maldini

Keane (c)

----Figo
    Stoichkov

Bergkamp

Ronaldo
    Romario

Subs:

Taffarel
    Thuram
    Ronaldinho
    Beckham (pre-circus)
    Roberto Baggio
    Ruud Van Nistelrooy
    Thierry Henry

Blackburn era Shearer was the kind of goal machine you rarely see 110 goals in 130 appearances or something like that only pre injury ronaldo can compare to a 3-4 year spell of goalscoring like that.

Do you mean he's the only one who can compare in that period of time of one of the only people ever? I disagree with both.

Of all time;
    Alfredo Di Stefano;
    Apps Goals
    River Plate
    Huracan
    Millonarios
    Real Madrid
    Espanyol

Primera División Argentina: 1945, 1947
    Copa Bodas de Oro del Real Madrid: 1952
    Colombian Championship: 1949, 1951, 1952, 1953
    Colombian Cup: 1953
    La Liga: 1954, 1955, 1957, 1958, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964
    Copa del Rey: 1962
    European Cup: 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960
    Intercontinental Cup: 1960
    Pequeña Copa del Mundo de Clubes: 1953, 1956
    Latin Cup: 1955, 1957

His goal scoring ratio is only bettered by Puskas as I know, who scored 589 goals in 529 games domestically, and 84 goals in 85 games for the Hungary national side.

Recent times;
    Raul Gonzalez;

95/96 26 goals
    96/97 22 goals
    97/98 15 goals
    98/99 29 goals
    99/00 29 goals
    00/01 32 goals
    01/02 29 goals
    02/03 25 goals
    03/04 20 goals

If thats not up there with Shearer's/ Ronaldo's record then I dont know what is tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Do you mean he's the only one who can compare in that period of time of one of the only people ever? I disagree with both.

I meant in this generation as that is what this thread is specifically about
    Raul does have a fantastic record and have scored 20+ goals for many seaosn consecutively but not as many over a three-4 year spell as shearer
    93-94 P 40 S31
    94-95 P 42 S 34
    95-96 P 35 S 31
    in the 3 seasons following a cruitiate
    Raul is/was a great player but he shearers slightly better

Also Di Stefano's 76% strike rate for Real is trumped by Gunnar Northals 82% strike rate for milan 210 goals in 257 games

I meant in this generation as that is what this thread is specifically about
    Raul does have a fantastic record and have scored 20+ goals for many seaosn consecutively but not as many over a three-4 year spell as shearer
    93-94 P 40 S31
    94-95 P 42 S 34
    95-96 P 35 S 31
    in the 3 seasons following a cruitiate
    Raul is/was a great player but he shearers slightly better

Also Di Stefano's 76% strike rate for Real is trumped by Gunnar Northals 82% strike rate for milan 210 goals in 257 games

Then take these seasons;

98/99 29 goals
    99/00 29 goals
    00/01 32 goals

Only behind Shearer by 6 goals over there 3 year comparisons. Hardly like that's of a enough difference to not put him up there too.

• Advertisement

*I know Möller wouldn't be most people top choice, but he's one of my favourite players ever and he was brilliant for both Dortmund and Germany.

Good shout! I wouldn't stick him in ahead of Keane but he was sooooome player.

I'm really enjoying this thread.

Stoichkov has been mentioned a few times, but I wonder if he played his best football before and during 1994? Hagi stuck around for about 6 years after and I remember him captaining Romania against Italy in Euro 2000. Italy won but Hagi was the best player on the pitch and hit the bar and went close a couple of times creating chances from nothing. I think I'd have him on my bench because he could turn a game in a second. There were questions about his consistency and temperament - but when he wanted it, he could destroy.

A player who hasn't been mentioned (probably rightly) is Marc Wilmots. He was never a superstar and played most of his career in Germany / Belguim so fans over here wouldn't have heard of him. But he was a hell of a player. Exceptional technically with a great competitive attitude.

To people who still put Makelele and Vieria in ahead of Keane. Consider that the video of Keane vs France at Lansdowne in Sep 2005 is used by many academies in the UK as an example training video of how to play defensive midfield.

To people who still put Makelele and Vieria in ahead of Keane. Consider that the video of Keane vs France at Lansdowne in Sep 2005 is used by many academies in the UK as an example training video of how to play defensive midfield.

Well why don't YOU consider that Makelele basically invented and perfected the position of DMF in world football.

Raul scored big goals in big games when it mattered, and dragged his teams to victory in the CL and the league.

His medal collection shows how great a player he is, imo better than Shearer by some distance.

Here are some of his honours:

La Liga: (5) : 1995, 1997, 2001, 2003 and 2007
    Spanish Super Cup: (3) : 1997, 2001 and 2003
    Champions League: (3) : 1998, 2000 and 2002
    Intercontinental Cup: (2) : 1998 and 2002

Individual

Pichichi Trophy: : 1999 and 2001
    Spanish Player of the Year: : 1996-97 season
    UEFA Club Football Best Forward Award: : 2000, 2001 and 2002
    Champions League Top Scorer: 1999-2000, 2000-2001
    World Player of the Year, Bronze award: 2001
    European Footballer of the Year, Silver award: 2001

Its almost idiotic that he has never won World Player of the Year. I'm not complaining though, Barca have more World Player of the Years than Madrid by 1, so I get to taunt them with that. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Stoichkov has been mentioned a few times, but I wonder if he played his best football before and during 1994? Hagi stuck around for about 6 years after and I remember him captaining Romania against Italy in Euro 2000. Italy won but Hagi was the best player on the pitch and hit the bar and went close a couple of times creating chances from nothing. I think I'd have him on my bench because he could turn a game in a second. There were questions about his consistency and temperament - but when he wanted it, he could destroy.

Agree with you there. I mainly included Stoichkov for how he captured my imagination during the 94 WC and Hagi was super in that event too. I was close to including Hagi in my team. Both top players.

Now that I think back to the 94 WC there were so many great players on show. Maybe nostalgia is getting the better of me but it doesn't seem to me that we see players announcing themselves on the world stage the way they used to in previous World Cups.

Well why don't YOU consider that Makelele basically invented and perfected the position of DMF in world football.

I have seen you say that a couple of times, it's pure nonsense. The Brazilians are credited with inventing it, Dunga been a prime example.

Makelele perfected how to spend most time in the centre cirle and offer nothing going forward midfielder!

• Advertisement

I have seen you say that a couple of times, it's pure nonsense. The Brazilians are credited with inventing it, Dunga been a prime example.

Makelele perfected how to spend most time in the centre cirle and offer nothing going forward midfielder!

Makelele was the greatest DMF ever imo, he perfected the modern defensive midfield role, Dunga wasn't solely employed to screen the back four. Thats enough for me to justify his place ahead of Keane or any other defensive midfielder.

Agree with you there. I mainly included Stoichkov for how he captured my imagination during the 94 WC and Hagi was super in that event too. I was close to including Hagi in my team. Both top players.

Now that I think back to the 94 WC there were so many great players on show. Maybe nostalgia is getting the better of me but it doesn't seem to me that we see players announcing themselves on the world stage the way they used to in previous World Cups.

Well, I think part of it is to do with the fact that today we have much better access to clips / news from other leagues around the world. If there is a Stoichkov like player out there we get to read about him in our Irish Times WC / EC preview pull - out guide and then just need to google him to see what he looks like / get some clips of him in action.

I think it was Phil Babb who talked about the awe he felt in the tunnel at Giants stadium in 94 when the Italians walked up alongside him. Eventhough Babb played at an equivalent level he didn't know half their names and got a bit of stage fright for a few seconds thinking how am I going to match up against these guys - they look so professional!!

Makelele was the greatest DMF ever imo, he perfected the modern defensive midfield role, Dunga wasn't solely employed to screen the back four. Thats enough for me to justify his place ahead of Keane or any other defensive midfielder.

For the last two or three years of his career Keane sat as a defensive midfielder. And stuffed the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal (Makelele, Vieria, Gerrard) doing it - as well as being money in the Ireland / France game (seriously folks, it was an incredible performance).

But in Keane's prime when he turned in some of the most breathtaking individual performances ever put in by a European footballer he played box to box and was a destructive energetic presence all over the pitch. Makelele in his prime was very good at protecting the back four and playing a simple pass - but Keane gave you so much more than that. Additionally, he would stand out as a leader and the hungriest player on a team of superstars. And if we are going to have a team of 11 dynamic footballers I think Keane is so much more deserving and fitting to be there than a limited player like Makelele - even if he does those limited things as well as anyone.

Ok ok ok, for my team, I needed a player who was SPECIFICALLY just going to defend to screen the back 4, Dunga could yes do this, but Dunga was also partial to getting himself forward every now and then. With Figo, Zidane, Ronaldo, Romario and Guardiola, I needed someone who's sole purpose on the pitch was to hassle the **** out of the oppositions midfield. It was a toss up between Gatusso and Makelele, and since Mak is basically the perfect example of that position, I picked him.

You just have to look at Madrids achievements with him and without him to see his presence. Also, wiki have some nice quotes on the whole Makelele leaving Madrid debacle;

Club president Florentino Pérez infamously poured scorn on Makélélé's footballing abilities and proclaimed that Makélélé would not be missed:

“ We will not miss Makélélé. His technique is average, he lacks the speed and skill to take the ball past opponents, and ninety percent of his distribution either goes backwards or sideways. He wasn't a header of the ball and he rarely passed the ball more than three metres. Younger players will arrive who will cause Makelele to be forgotten. ”

His opinion differred from that of players like Zinedine Zidane, who remarked the following after Makélélé' was sold and Beckham was bought:
    “ Why put another layer of gold paint on the Bentley when you are losing the entire engine?”

In his autobiography, published in 2006, McManaman described Makélélé as the most important and yet least appreciated midfielder at Real. Retired former Real Madrid player and captain Fernando Hierro also criticised Perez for both Makélélé's departure and the manner of his departure, saying:
    “ I think Claude has this kind of gift - he's been the best player in the team for years but people just don't notice him, don't notice what he does. But you ask anyone at Real Madrid during the years we were talking about and they will tell you he was the best player at Real. We all knew, the players all knew he was the most important. The loss of Makélélé was the beginning of the end for Los Galacticos... You can see that it was also the beginning of a new dawn for Chelsea. He was the base, the key and I think he is the same to Chelsea now."

Also, I never really liked Keane.

Also, I never really liked Keane.

Ah, should have just said that. I won't waste any more of your time sir - we'll have to agree to disagree.

It is interesting how people are allowing their hatred of certain teams / players cloud their judgment and opinions. A bit sad really. I have two Utd players and no Liverpool players in my 11. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement