Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worlds best 11 post 1994 World Cup

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Oh and by the way, I'm not for one second questioning how great Makelele was at Real or how good of a player he is. I dunno though, I was in Landsdowne for Ireland / Portugal in June 2001 and it left a mark. Keane wanted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Then take these seasons;

98/99 29 goals
    99/00 29 goals
    00/01 32 goals

Only behind Shearer by 6 goals over there 3 year comparisons. Hardly like that's of a enough difference to not put him up there too.

If you look at league games only a more fair comparison due to blackburn not playing as often in europe
    Shearers best 3 year period compared to Rauls
    Shearer has 96 in 117 a 82% strike rate
    compared to 76 in 107 a 71% strike rate for raul

in retrospect Battigoal and Van Nistelroy probably come close to these stats
    but im not going to waste any more work time checking
    IMO despite his modest medal haul Shearer was probably the best out and out striker england ever produced and im neither a blackburn or newcastle fan to cloud my judgment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭weemcd

While i don't think he would start in a lineup with the likes of figo,zidane & co., i'm suprisded Pirlo hasnt been mentioned yet?

2 champions leagues, 1 world cup, 2 uefa super cups, scudetto, italian cup, italian super cup, world club championship, 2006 FIFA World Cup Final Man of the Match, 3 man of the match awards in the 2006 WC.

very decorated player, not even on anyones bench?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It is interesting how people are allowing their hatred of certain teams / players cloud their judgment and opinions. A bit sad really. I have two Utd players and no Liverpool players in my 11. :)

Well, I won't say I hate him, he was an absolutely fantastic player. Of course emotions cloud my judgement, I have bloody Guardiola in there, I bet alot of people here don't even know who he is. :D If I didn't have him there Id have put Redondo, but then it'd almost seem like Im a Blanco fan, and we can't have that now can we. =)

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

I totally agree that Keane was a better all round player then Makelele but again does anyone else think Redondo was better in his prime! the classic all round DFM! He could have played anywhere in midfield.

From the number of teams posted the majority of people have gone for Keane- Big fan of Pirlo, just too much competition for this position IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

weemcd wrote: »
    While i don't think he would start in a lineup with the likes of figo,zidane & co., i'm suprisded Pirlo hasnt been mentioned yet?

2 champions leagues, 1 world cup, 2 uefa super cups, scudetto, italian cup, italian super cup, world club championship, 2006 FIFA World Cup Final Man of the Match, 3 man of the match awards in the 2006 WC.

very decorated player, not even on anyones bench?

I recon he has missed out for 2 reasons
    1) His playmaker DMF role would mean for a balanced team you would need a Keane/Gatusso beside him so it means leaving out an attacking midfeilder winger or striker to facilitate him
    2) His form post world cup has been patchy at best

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

IMO Adams was far superior to Sol in terms of english CB's
    He wasnt as fast as Sol put read the game far better was at the top of his game for longer and won more throphies.
    Adams certainly beats Campbell in terms of longevity and trophies but at his peak, Campbell was better (although I realise that won’t be a popular opinion!). He was named in the Team of the Tournament at World Cup 98, World Cup 2002 and Euro 2004, and was simply an immense centre-half.

He should be more highly regarded but England's failures, combined with his controversial transfers and unusual off-the-pitch behaviour, have made him a derided figure.

ziggy wrote: »

Close the lid on that can sir!

I think Saipan is relevant, in so much that it meant that Keane did not play an international tournament at the very height of his footballing powers. He was at his very best coming into that tournament. If he had played, and played like he did in the preceding qualification campaign one is left to wonder how far he could have dragged us (obv taking nothing away from Kinsella and Holland who gave some career performances in the competition and worked their socks off in every game).

Because he didn't play though, I wonder if Keane will be mentioned in the conversation of best world 11 outside of Utd / premiership fans in 30 years time - when I think he should definitely be in any conversation along those lines. Having a great world cup or a European championship is key to being remembered long - term. They are such high profile tournaments - and they are written and talked about for years after, that not appearing in one at your peak means you do get forgotten about to an extent. Which is a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

ziggy wrote: »

Do Crash-test-dummies count as models? :confused:

Adams certainly beats Campbell in terms of longevity and trophies but at his peak, Campbell was better (although I realise that won’t be a popular opinion!). He was named in the Team of the Tournament at World Cup 98, World Cup 2002 and Euro 2004, and was simply an immense centre-half.

He should be more highly regarded but England's failures, combined with his controversial transfers and unusual off-the-pitch behaviour, have made him a derided figure.

Campell was an absolute beast (and is still one of the better centre halves in the premiership). And apart from a couple of patchy months towards the end at Arsenal when he seemed to struggle with some personal issues, I think he has been a model professional.

I think he is forgotten about a little because he played for many years at a spurs side that won nothing; then when he won trophies at Arsenal the concentration was on the flowing football that was been played by that side - and the fact that they could defend was kind of ignored to a certain extent.

It is worth noting that Campell put in a heroic performance in the Champions League final against Barcelona.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'm stunned Seedorf isn't in any of these teams...

4 Champions League medals with 3 clubs since 1994...

And a few championships thrown in there too...

--Cafu----Nesta
    Desailly----Maldini seems to be the most common defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

This selection is just a personal indulgence, YES I am playing players out of position but in their prime they would have been able to deal with it and still put in a performance. and also I just have to have them in my team.

..................SCHMEICHAEL..................

.......NESTA......DESAILLY.....MALDINI......

.......................KEANE.....................

........................ZIDANE.....................
    RONALDINLO.............................BERGKEMP
    ..........................HAGI.....................

........RONALDO..................RAUL................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

I'm suprsised albertini hasn't got more mentions. He was better than Pirlo.

tdv wrote: »
    I'm suprsised albertini hasn't got more mentions. He was better than Pirlo.

He's on my bench.

And to say he is better than prilo is kinda, I dunno, Harsh.

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    This selection is just a personal indulgence, YES I am playing players out of position but in their prime they would have been able to deal with it and still put in a performance. and also I just have to have them in my team.

..................SCHMEICHAEL..................

.......NESTA......DESAILLY.....MALDINI......

.......................KEANE.....................

........................ZIDANE.....................
    RONALDINLO.............................BERGKEMP
    ..........................HAGI.....................

........RONALDO..................RAUL................

Just move Hagi to the left; put Raul in the hole; and stick Berkamp up front and everyone is playing in positions that they are somewhat accomplished at.

• Advertisement

I'd put Bergkamp in the hole behind Raul and Ronaldo TBH...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Just move Hagi to the left; put Raul in the hole; and stick Berkamp up front and everyone is playing in positions that they are somewhat accomplished at.

True and point taken ,but with the movement I expect up front they will all be in and out of their first choice position through out the game ;)
    oh right , back to reality :mad:

Advertisement