Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice white wine

Options
  • 24-04-2008 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi If anyone can help I would really appreciate it. I dont like drinking wine much but would love to find a nice bottle like a peachy sweet wine, dont get me wrong I dont like desert wines but a nice sweet white that someone can recommend would be great.
    thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭user_name_d

hey.. i'm fairly new to wines myself, but i think if i was to recommend something "sweet" - and not a dessert wine - how about trying a [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gewürztraminer - usually French Alsace wine. This would be known to have a spicyness to it - but i find it has a real flowery punch - much sweeter than a Riesling(another sweet wine worth a try!) this wine is full of flavours and certainly unlike a white wine you may have tried before. I know for sure Tesco stock it at a nice price of around 9 euros. Hope this helps.. you should defininitely give it try!
    [/FONT]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭hcnyla

I find Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc very sweet. It's available for €10.99 in Super Valu at the moment and is a very nice white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Sweet Wine = Dessert Wine

That said, some regular wines are sweeter (or at least less dry) than others.

Gewurztraminer is a really good option. I think it's such a great wine. I think for E9 though, you might not be seeing the best of this grape. It might be a bit dilute at this kind of price. Go to E15 or so if you can. Hugel or Trimbach are decent, widely-available brands.

Someone mentioned Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc and, while dry, this style of wine (Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc) is very extroverted and fruity (Passionfruit / Herbs) and so can give the impression of sweetness. These wines are really in vogue now. Cost is E12-E18.

Some German Rieslings are off-dry (sweetish). It might not be apparent from looking at the label whether it is sweet or dry but the alcohol level can be a useful indicator. If it's as low as 8% or 9%, it's because all of the grape sugars haven't been converted to alcohol, and so the finished wine still has some residual sugar in it. Dr. Loosen has a lovely one for about E11.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

If you don't mind a little fizz, try Prosecco - a mildly sparkling white wine from Italy. It has a peachy flavour, so much so that it is mixed with peach juice to make a summer cocktail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Minder wrote: »
    If you don't mind a little fizz, try Prosecco - a mildly sparkling white wine from Italy. It has a peachy flavour, so much so that it is mixed with peach juice to make a summer cocktail.

very nice stuff alright

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Minder wrote: »
    so much so that it is mixed with peach juice to make a summer cocktail.
    A bellini. And not just summer: they were handing out free ones on New Year's Eve in St Mark's Square in Venice :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Another fan of Prosecco here. I must try a bellini, never had one. I have some peaches at home so I might pick up a bottle and have a go this evening. Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Another fan of Prosecco here. I must try a bellini, never had one. I have some peaches at home so I might pick up a bottle and have a go this evening. Thanks folks.

Might be better trying it this afternoon:D, meant to piss to night:(

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭ash xxx

I love my white wines and the best one I've found by far is Stoneleigh Sauv Blanc. Its a Malborough wine and I've found it to be nicer than any of the rest from the region, and I've drank most of them :D Its very easy to drink.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

BeerNut wrote: »
    A bellini. And not just summer: they were handing out free ones on New Year's Eve in St Mark's Square in Venice :)

Tried at the weekend. I did enjoy it and will have it again. I tried the Tesco Prosecco and for the money, it's hard to pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

you should try a Vouvray from the Loire Valley in France. Its made from the Chenin Blanc grape and comes in an off dry style, its sweet without being too sweet. Its got decent honeysuckle, apple and peach character.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

M&S do a nice Vouvray, good at the price (under a tenner).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭zenzen

where have ye found Stoneleigh Sauv Blanc for sale? have been looking around and haven't found it in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

zenzen wrote: »
    where have ye found Stoneleigh Sauv Blanc for sale? have been looking around and haven't found it in a while!

Me too - haven't seen that wine in years!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

also, and probably the biggest grey market import in this country is the Louis Latour Macon lugny which is sold in most shops/off licenses (even some spars).

it usually sells for 9.99 and is a very nice wine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Oyster Bay Sav Blanc is a lovely fruity white wine but even nicer is the Cloudy Bay Sav Blanc also from NZ.
    It used to be very expensive, years ago, but the price is fairly reasonable now. Although not every store will have it.

Advertisement