Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightmares after accident

• 24-04-2008 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hi all

I was involved in a bad car accident 10 days ago with a non national on the wrong side of the road on a bend. It was head on and the car tumbled through a ditch into a field. Guards recon it was 140 mph impact. I walked away with busted tows and the other guy was in hospital for a few days. Any one experience nightmares after an accident? How long will they last etc.

Dara.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Hi all

I was involved in a bad car accident 10 days ago with a non national on the wrong side of the road on a bend. It was head on and the car tumbled through a ditch into a field. Guards recon it was 140 mph impact. I walked away with busted tows and the other guy was in hospital for a few days. Any one experience nightmares after an accident? How long will they last etc.

Dara.

Hi, Im very sorry to hear about the accident. It must have been a horrible shock for you :( What are the police doing about the matter? It might be worth mentioning to your own GP. See it he/she can prescribe you something to give you restful sleep, and perhaps refer you to someone you can talk it through with.

This thread might have had a better response in PI perhaps? /shrug.

I hope you feel better soon. Its so annoying when we go out everyday and do our best to respect other drivers, when some fcuktard gets into a car and completely disregards our rules of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

Thanks for that Abigayle as for rules of the road the police are on his case he was drunk at the time but the doc in the hospital wouldn't let them take a breath sample due to his bad condition. He has no insurance "only in Ireland" if that was you or me we'd be in jail. I expct him to do a Ryanair runner before the court date.

Been to my GP all ready and he said it was quite common to have nightmares and flashbacks after a bad accident but their seems to be no time frame as to when they wil go away.

I'm just about to tuck in to a nice glass of vino, dam it's good to be alive:rolleyes:

D.

Thanks for that Abigayle as for rules of the road the police are on his case he was drunk at the time but the doc in the hospital wouldn't let them take a breath sample due to his bad condition. He has no insurance "only in Ireland" if that was you or me we'd be in jail. I expct him to do a Ryanair runner before the court date.

Been to my GP all ready and he said it was quite common to have nightmares and flashbacks after a bad accident but their seems to be no time frame as to when they wil go away.

I'm just about to tuck in to a nice glass of vino, dam it's good to be alive:rolleyes:D.
    Drink driving? I was afraid of that. Im sorry, but what a fcuking ars.ehole. Something has to be brought together to protect the Irish from these people. You dont s.hit in your own nest. Im so angry for you. I see them on the road myself and they scare the life out of me. Im no driving miss daisy, but these are mentalists going around in one of the biggest weapons you could have. Something HAS to be done.

Everyone is different, but I know that I would tap the doctor for something to help me sleep right. Something mild. Although the vino is soothing, its not a long term solution. Yes you are very lucky, but try not to over think it. At times like this your mortality smacks you right in the face. I agree, the odds on him being brought to justice are slim, but dont let him have any more of your time, hes taken enough from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭karynp

Talking about it till your blue in the face helps,i was involved in a horrible accident when i was 17 and couldnt even get on the bus afterwards out of fear. At night i would relive it all and think of the what ifs quite a lot. However i did change my mindset and came to the conclusion that i was very lucky to be alive for one and very thankful it had been me in the accident and not somebody else who maybe wouldnt have been so lucky. I also found writing down my thoughts and fears helped quite a lot and found that as i write i felt better about it and more and more fear and anger poured onto the paper for the person responsible for what happened,it was my debs night and i was very lucky to be alive. Its a horrific time,and i think its a little harder when it was out of your control to begin with,it makes you realise that your life lies in the hands of many people.
    Something from your doctor to sleep may help but is a quick fix and you really should try to work through the fears you have as a result of the accident. I hope justice is served for the person involved and if they had no insurance dont forget to log a claim with the insurance bureau who have a fund set up for people like you,it goes through your own insurance initially,it also takes time to come back but at the end of the day it will go back to your insurer wiping the slate clean for you.
    hope you feel better soon and the night mares go away.

" i think its a little harder when it was out of your control to begin with,it makes you realise that your life lies in the hands of many people."

You are bang on karynp that is the hardest part espically scence i've started driving again, you look for everything and trust no one on the road.

Thank's for that Abigayle and karynp have a nice weekend and be safe

Dara.

• Advertisement

Thank's for that Abigayle and karynp have a nice weekend and be safe

Dara.

You too Dara. Dont forget to post back and let us know how you are getting on. :)

Well Monday things got much better no flashbacks/nightmares now for days and even sleeping better.

Was in town to day (Dublin) in a borrowed auto micra its brand new, it's really to small didn't feel safe in it! From now on it's the usual big car with at least 9 air bags, it's all I can trust now bar buying a truck or even a tank wrapped in bubble wrap.

I think i'm back, dam it's good to be back!:)

Now I have the energy to fight with my insurance company to get the best deal as he had none.

Hope ye had a good and safe weekend D.:)

Well Monday things got much better no flashbacks/nightmares now for days and even sleeping better.

I think i'm back, dam it's good to be back!:)

Now I have the energy to fight with my insurance company to get the best deal as he had none.

You sound much stronger! delighted for you. And even more so that you got back into a car as soon as you did. :) Any news on the scum that hit you?

And of all things you braved the world again in a Micra :D hearing about your ordeal makes me want a tank. Fair dues to ya all the same, sounds like you are fighting fit ;)

The guy did a ryan air special he's gone! I was sent his fire brigade bill €1080 can u believe it. Called the county council told them i'm not paying his bills so they told me to hand it to my insurance company, I said I will but I will instruct them not to pay it.

Cheerz Dara.

The guy did a ryan air special he's gone! I was sent his fire brigade bill €1080 can u believe it. Called the county council told them i'm not paying his bills so they told me to hand it to my insurance company, I said I will but I will instruct them not to pay it.

Cheerz Dara.

Omg.. Im so annoyed for you. Something has to be done to protect us from fcukers like that. In light of being handed that bill, hope you are sleeping ok..

• Advertisement
Advertisement