Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used RAV4 diesel

Options
  • 24-04-2008 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I've been keeping an eye out for one, something like a 2005, but there seems to be very very few available.

Does anyone know why this is? Are there not many around in general and if so why is this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Sending you a PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

You know what...........don't get sucked into the whole Toyota thing........they are good, but not Brilliant.
    I have a little Hyundai Tuscon that my wife drives and its just as good as a Rav4 anyday...........and a lot more reasonable.

While I agree that the Tuscon is a decent machine, and equally reliable, I found it less versatile than the RAV.

I felt the RAV had a bigger interior, better layed out.
    The sliding/Reclining rear seats are handy, if you need to make the boot a few inches bigger.
    Also, because the Tuscon has the spare wheel in the boot floor, that means heavy objects have to be lifted higher into a smaller boot.

MTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

one of my mates hired out a Tucson for a few days and it was borderline awful. I would definitely not recommend one.

As for the Rav4, they look very small for what you pay for them.

They are very expensive and to get a good spec you pay a lot which is why they are very rare.

I would opt for a Honda CR-V instead. Same money, better engine (2.2 diesel) and bigger.

With the new model out, the previous model should be good 2nd hand value.

More diesels available across the border though and better priced too. Go for the Executive Spec

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Unless you're towing or soft roading, consider a 1.8 VVT-i, there's very little difference in the fuel economy as the D-4D is running permanent 4WD, the 1.8 is good on juice with mid 30's entirely do-able.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭cutback

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    one of my mates hired out a Tucson for a few days and it was borderline awful. I would definitely not recommend one.

As for the Rav4, they look very small for what you pay for them.

They are very expensive and to get a good spec you pay a lot which is why they are very rare.

I would opt for a Honda CR-V instead. Same money, better engine (2.2 diesel) and bigger.

With the new model out, the previous model should be good 2nd hand value.

More diesels available across the border though and better priced too. Go for the Executive Spec

The CR-V gives more for the money but I just keep thinking it's not an attractive looking car and I'm not sure I'd be prepared to spend my money on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nissan X-Trail looks like a pretty decent package.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Unless you're towing or soft roading, consider a 1.8 VVT-i, there's very little difference in the fuel economy as the D-4D is running permanent 4WD, the 1.8 is good on juice with mid 30's entirely do-able.

My D4D does an average of nearly 38mpg in 60:40 city/country driving.
    On a recent holiday, I got over 43MPG average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

bazz26 wrote: »
    Nissan X-Trail looks like a pretty decent package.

I think it looks like a 'box' :)

The old CRV is much cheaper than the new model CRV as they changed the
    pricing point and target market for it. Whilst I like the exterior of the old model
    CRV I find the interior a tad van-like.

A Toyota dealer told me some years back that most of the RAV4 sold in South
    Dublin were the 1.8 petrol 2WD model - mainly used for the school run.

If comparing the old 1.8 petrol RAV to a Tuscon I'd say the Tuscon is
    worth considering, but if comparing a new model RAV 4WD to the current
    2 l petrol 2WD Tuscon the RAV would be my choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

prospect wrote: »
    My D4D does an average of nearly 38mpg in 60:40 city/country driving.
    On a recent holiday, I got over 43MPG average.

Exactly! In 2005, the D-4D was €6,500 more than the identically specced 1.8 VVT-i.
    My point is, don't pay over the odds for a used D-4D on the basis of making big savings on fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Whilst the Rav and the Tucson are not the same vehicle......my point is that for the money the Toyota is overpriced.

Advertisement