Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passports - Are they illegal to carry around?

• 24-04-2008 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

Just a question that popped up elsewhere and has me curious...

Under what law would carrying an Irish passport on your person (you being Irish) be illegal? And the same for a colour photocopy of your passport?. I've searched but I can't find any material relating to this.

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

What makes you think either is illegal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I went into a Garda station before with a colour photocopy and they gave me a signed, stamped B&W copy and kept the colour one, telling me I shouldn't be carrying it around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

All passport photos are now black and white. It's to do with those new biometric things. Or so I'm told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

nothing illegal with carrying around a passport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Their concern might have been that it was a colour copy. There is of course the matter of falsifying an ID or 'uttering it so'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I went into a Garda station before with a colour photocopy and they gave me a signed, stamped B&W copy and kept the colour one, telling me I shouldn't be carrying it around.

Sorry, I think I misread your post - you went in with a colour photocopy or the actual passport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Speaking from personal experience, I went into the Garda Station with a colour photocopy to be stamped and signed and was given a black & white one in return and told that colour photocopies are illegal.

I have heard from other sources though that carrying one around (if you're Irish) while in Ireland is against the law - I was just wondering what law because I couldn't find any :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Out of curiosity, why did you want the Gardai to stamp a copy of your passport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

cushtac wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why did you want the Gardai to stamp a copy of your passport?

People do that regular. For example I know someone who was applying to a university abroad and they needed several original or verified copies of certain documentation. Though the passport was not explicitly required, given that most students don't receive the same number of utility bills and so on as other members of society it was a natural choice to use for this person. They obviously did not want to send their passport off in the post so they photocopied it and got the Gardaí to stamp and sign the copy for verification purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

I have heard from other sources though that carrying one around (if you're Irish) while in Ireland is against the law - I was just wondering what law because I couldn't find any :o

I highly doubt that is true. I mean how is it enforceable? Do you have to prove that you are on your way to the airport en route to leaving the country in order for it to be permissible to have your passport on you? Seems very far fetched.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 AceofSpades001

I can't think of any reason why having a passport on you would be illegal. Maybe if you were under investigation in a criminal matter or being charged but then wouldn't your passport be seized? It's probably just not advisable to carry it around as a form of ID, it's a pain losing them and after you lose two you can be issued a passport with limited validity i.e. a 2 year passport instead of a 10 year one. Haven't a clue why colour and black and white has anything to do with the legality of the copy.

Advertisement