Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

He's just not that into you

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Someone once told me that the most important things to understand about men were immediately above and below their belts.;)
    Well they didn't have a very good understanding about men then. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

This isn't another one of those "10 steps to understand men" paperback books that sell at the market checkout beside the Red Tops?

Someone once told me that the most important things to understand about men were immediately above and below their belts.;)

Haha!...nice one B!ue!:p

It's called a joke, guys.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Possibly my favourite book ever. Great for reassuring yourself about guys you really know the answer about already, but don't want to acknowledge ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

that book was written by the writers of Sex in the City, so if you are in to the that kind of thing, i am sure you will find it great.

someone bought it for me, personally, i think its a load of crap. is it not common sense, if he doesnt phone you and you havent got the balls to call him, it isnt going to go away where?

i read about 2 chapters and gave it to a charity shop - waste of money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

irishbird wrote: »
    i read about 2 chapters and gave it to a charity shop - waste of money

I wish you had passed it to 'this' charity shop - it may have saved me a lot of time and heartache :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

SarahSassy wrote: »
    I wish you had passed it to 'this' charity shop - it may have saved me a lot of time and heartache :D:D

Use your common sense, you dont need books to tell you what men think. you need to have confidence in yourself.

Book companies are making a fortune out of these self-help books on how to get a man and how to get over a man. its all crap. What did people do before these books? they still managed to find men. The media keep bombarding women with these ideas that you have to play games to get a men. it is all such crap.

Learn to use your intutition, you know the voice inside your head, you should to it and forget these sh.ite books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

The easiest way to make money is to tell someone their is something they don't know. It gives you a lot of power over people.

The irony is that you could apply the majority of the things you are being told that men do to the publishing company who put that book out.

You call men bastard. They call is marketing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Dragan wrote: »
    The easiest way to make money is to tell someone their is something they don't know. It gives you a lot of power over people.

Okay, money please!

Rules are for fools. You'll know when they're interested, if you have to ask - they probably aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

People read books to educate themselves... some books don't make sense and others do... You can read a book and still not follow advice... no one should live by a book, no two situations are the same...
    I read the book doesn't mean i am biased! It means i am more educated about situations, and believe me if i read the book earlier it could have made my breakup easier(i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

MIN2511 wrote: »
    People read books to educate themselves... some books don't make sense and others do... You can read a book and still not follow advice... no one should live by a book, no two situations are the same...
    I read the book doesn't mean i am biased! It means i am more educated about situations, and believe me if i read the book earlier it could have made my breakup easier(i think)

Also, sometimes friends, family and mental health professionals can all tell someone something, but the 'a-ha!' moment of clarity will only follow when someone is ready. And, that ready could be the trigger to read one of those books. So, the 'a-ha' would have happened anyway, and just coincidentally occured when the book was read.

And, advice can occasionally be easier to take from complete strangers (or books) because we don't perceive an agenda there - "well, my friends never really liked him anyway", etc. So, a book can help with that.

There's also the reason that so many post here on PI, people don't always want to talk about personal problems with people they know, and might find it easier to read one of those books. Seeing so many of them on the shelves in a bookshop is sort of reasuring as well, if there is a viable market for them, well, then i'm not the only one with doubts, pain and uncertainty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

I have to admit. I read the book and loved it. It didn't contain any groundbreaking information that I didn't already know deep down. But it did remind me that makes excuses for behaviour will not get you anywhere in the long run. I thought it was a brilliant book and very enjoyable to read.

I also gave it to a friend of mine who is completely hopeless when it comes to men and making all kinds of excuses for them treating her like sh!t. She just didn't get it though! I guess you have to really believe it to get something out of the book and you can't believe it if you don't know somewhere deep down inside that what there saying is completely true.

The authors also have another book entitled "its called break-up because its broken". I read this while going through a particularly nasty break-up and I have to say it saved me a lot of unnecessary tears and time spent over-analysing the relationship and hoping he was going to come back to me. He really wasn't worth it but now I'm with someone wonderful who is. And guess what, I don't have any of this sh!t to be dealing with because there are no mind games and he treats me like a princess!!

Advertisement