Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for tiling on a sloped shower wall and other Qs

Options
  • 24-04-2008 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all,

We have an attic bathroom that I will soon be tiling. I haven't tiled myself before although I helped the father-in-law to tile our kitchen and bathroom floors a couple of years back. Reckon the only way is to try myself and would not really trust someone else to waterproof the shower area properly.

A few questions:
    • Is there any extra considerations needed to tile an inward sloping wall? Should this even be tiled at all or is there a special paint/sealant that can be used?
    • I was thinking of using 'Dunlop Shower Waterproofing Kit' to prep the shower area. Anyone used this or have a better suggestion?
    • Tools. I was thinking that a regular tile cutter (non-power) will do 99% of the cutting. Should I buy one from the likes of B&Q or should I rent a better tool? For the other parts I was thinking of using an angle grinder - would a diy type like bosch or black decker do the job?
    • The plumber cut a small section (maybe 20cmX10cm)of plasterboard out when connecting the shower pipes and after he screwed back in, it is not flush with the existing wall, but is a few mm deeper. Can I just use extra tile adhesive when tiling to rectify?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 overworked82

I followed this websites advice and my shower came out immaculate.It is a little more expensive this way, but it will garuantee a leak free shower. http://ezinearticles.com/?Installing-Ceramic-Tile-in-a-Shower&id=189181

If this way is to expensive for you the dunlop should do the job, although don't forget to wait 24 hours before tiling. The slope should be tiled, but you might find it difficult, especially the cutting. A suggestion, if the slope is small, take measurement, get some different tiles with accent designs, and have them shaped for you, unless your good at cutting you might waste some money cutting tiles the wrong way(speaking from experience). As for the wall not being flush, you can add extra tile adhesive, just remember this area may need more time to dry. You might
    want to apply enough adhesive to bring the wall flush, allow it to dry completely, and then use a sander to lightly sand it down, so you will have a smooth surface when applying adhesive for the tile job. If you want something qiucker try expanding foam, it comes in a spray can, and is completly dry in four hours, very easy to sand or scrape. Some pretty strong stuff, it can be used pretty much everywhere. It can tolerate temps between -40 -90 c. Very afforadable too. Hope this helps:D

Advertisement