Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newegg are selling 4gb sticks.... 16gb you say?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Expect no overclock at all with 8Gb, never mind 16Gb, 2 hard on the northbridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

true. and cas @ 6-6-6-18 doesnt seem nice either.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What would anyone need 8GB or 16GBs of ram for (bar increasing your e-penis)?

What would anyone need 8GB or 16GBs of ram for (bar increasing your e-penis)?

Cubase, music production eats ram, although most of the pro's use macs.........not because macs are any better, but thats their epenis :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Would they really benefit from going from 4GBs to 8 or 16 though?

• Advertisement

If they were running out of ram, then yes. I've seen a friend eat 3-4 Gb quite easily with Cubase, Reason & Abelton etc all running together. Synths & wav files eat ram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

true. and cas @ 6-6-6-18 doesnt seem nice either.
    The difference is miniscule. 1% maybe ....

The difference is miniscule. 1% maybe ....

would there be that little difference between 4 4 4 12?

Well as ther ddr2 increases from ddr2 to ddr3 to ddr4 etc all them numbers are going up anyway.

Example
    You pay €60 for 4 gigs cas 6-6-6-18
    You pay $270 for 4 gigs cas 4-4-4-12
    So you have to wait 2 extra clock cycles for data to be ready big deal ?
    You won't notice a thing so keep your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Cubase, music production eats ram, although most of the pro's use macs.........not because macs are any better, but thats their epenis :p

So you think a windows Vista system wouldn't need 8 gigs for things like Crysis or Assasins Creed. 4 gigs would do?

• Advertisement

4 gigs is bucketloads remember ram and memory are to different things :)
    Most of it will be your hard disk being used anyway .

OmegaRed wrote: »
    So you think a windows Vista system wouldn't need 8 gigs for things like Crysis or Assasins Creed. 4 gigs would do?

Nope, 4Gb is loads. I got 4Gb here, 1.5Gb is eaten by vista, Av prog, dreamscene & gadgets etc.......2.5Gb left over is loads for anything you can throw at it.

Flight sim X on absolute full detail was the only application that I've seen nearly fill the 4gb.

what do you use to monitor the ram usage?

Task manager,

I've also got a gadget which displays each core load & ram usage, here, and another which displays temperatures on each core, everest runs on startup in the background, here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Is it not the case that vista can´t use anything more than 4 gig or so I´ve heard

:rolleyes: Nope,

Vista 64 bit max ram:
    Home Basic: 8 GB
    Home Premium: 16 GB
    Ultimate: 128+ GB
    Business: 128+ GB
    Enterprise: 128+ GB

From here

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

I thought newegg didn't ship internationaly

they dont. but for those who have family in the states, and id say a lot of people here do, its handy.

Advertisement