Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BIG improvements in CO2 for Audi A3 and A4

Options
  • 24-04-2008 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

Well the first thing I should say is that the facelifted A3 has now officially been unveiled, and the CO2 improvements are coming in the A3 as part of that facelift.

The A4 has a host of new engines on the way as well.

It will get DRL's as standard and the fairy lights that look like a council house at Christmas at the front too(though I think it's only the models with Xenon that boast this dubious feature). There are other cosmetic changes and new bits here and there, but the big news is to do with the engines, cause that's where most of the changes are occuring.

The facelifted A3 will ditch the PD engine in favour of the new common rail unit, but oddly it's only for the current 2.0 PD engine. So the 140 and 170 TDI motors will have the brand new engine, and the entry level diesel will be the engine derived from the Audi 80 all those moons ago, which is extremely odd. They're saying in the UK that prices will more or less remain unchanged from today's model, which is good news too, especially for us as it means that the car should get cheaper for us.

The reason I'm hoping that the car will get a good bit cheaper is because the emissions have improved on most models, and as we'll see in a minute, in most cases enough to get the car down a VRT and road tax band from July.

The current crop of petrol engines are unchanged performance wise, except that the S3 is now available as a 5 door model, but there are big improvements to CO2 emissions.

The 1.6 is now 162 rather than 169 g/km, nothing dramatic there, but the Tiptronic gerbox has been replaced with a 7 speed S tonic gearbox, and CO2 goes down from 183 to 159 g/km, so it goes down to 24% VRT from 28%.

The 1.4 TFSI will I would say be the volume seller along with the diesels, because it's CO2 has gone down from 154 g/km to 140 g/km, which gets it into only 16% VRT(the same as the diesels). There will also be a 7 speed S tronic model, CO2 is even better at only 133 g/km.

The 1.8 TFSI also improves, from 171 to 159 g/km, so it's down into 24% VRT too. Go for the S tronic and you'll do even better, 179 g/km for the old one(though that was a proper slush box) now becomes 153 g/km, that's an improvememt of 2 VRT bands. The manual is also available with quattro 4 wheel drive(CO2 is 178 g/km).

The 2.0 improves, though not enough to reduce VRT, but it now does 171 g/km for both manual and 6 speed S tronic. If you want quattro 4 wheel drive, then you will have no VRT penalty, so that is unlike the pre facelift model(CO2 is 178 g/km).

FWIW the 3.2 goes down from 36% VRT to 32% VRT as well(S tronic only now).

Moving to the diesels, fortunately the new common rail motors are also much improved, so those wanting a diesel can go for some of these with no VRT/road tax penalty(excluding the 1.9TDI 105 e model which still does 119 g/km). The 140 bhp manual version is now good for 16% VRT, as is the non e version of the 1.9 TDI(previously the 2.0 got into 20%). The 2.0 S tronic is now 20% VRT, a big improvement on before, as the 140 and 170 were in the 24 and 28% VRT categories when equipped with this engine before. The 2.0TDI quattro is down 2 VRT categories with CO2 of 148 g/km.

That covers the 3 door A3.

The 5 door is pretty much the same(go to Audi.de, click on A3, then either choose "A3" or "A3 Sportback" and then look for "Preisliste" and click on that), except that the 1.4 TFSI manual is unfortunately in the 20% VRT rather than 16% with the 3 door model. The Sportback has higher emissions than the 3 door, but that's the only derivative that gets into a higher tax category as a result.

The S3 is now available as in Sportback format as well(CO2 improves from the pre facelift but it's still in 32% VRT).

Now, moving to the A4, and it's gonna give BMW a real good fight if Audi copy BMW and pass on the VRT savings, because most models in the range now match BMW for VRT(though BMW still have lower emissions in most cases).

The current crop of 1.8s remain unchanged, so BMW have nothing to worry about there, though the 1.8 Multitronic saloon and 1.8 manual Avant now also get into 24% VRT, and the 6 pot models still have some distance to go to catch BMW, but they most certainly have a lot to worry about with the 4 cylinder diesels and the brand new 2.0 TFSI petrol engine.

The 2.0 TFSI will presumably be a rival for the 320i and 325i, as it's available in both 180 bhp and 211 bhp power outputs.

Both produce just 154 g/km of CO2, so the lower power version will be in the same VRT category as the 320i and the higher powered version will have to contend with 20% VRT rather than 24% VRT like the BMW 325i has to(in saying that the BMW has 6 rather than 4 cylinders and 3.0 rather than 2.0 litres to be feeding, but the fact of the matter is that the Audi does better). What's even more impressive is the fact that it gets into a lower VRT category than it's sister 1.8TFSI. The 2.0 with quattro 4 wheel drive gets into 28% VRT though.

But of course, it's the diesels which will be of most interest to most people, and the good news is that ALL 2.0TDI versions(bar the 143 and 170 bhp Avant models) will be in 16% VRT, the same as the BMW 318d/320d.

There is also a new 120 bhp version of this engine. CO2 starts at 134 g/km for that power output, and rises to 140 g/km for the 170 bhp, with the 143 in the middle at 139 g/km. The multitronic predictably gets into a higher 20% VRT band. The 2.7TDI is now available with a manual gearbox, but BMW still have the edge here as that engine pollutes 159 g/km, so 24% VRT for that(compared to 155 and 20% for the 325d). The Multitronic is at 167 g/km, so that can compete fairly with the 325d Auto as both are in 24% VRT. The 3.0TDI is now available in both manual and Automatic guises, and CO2 is improved, but it still resides in 28% VRT.

Most Avant models are one band up in VRT from the saloon, but the following are not: 1.8TFSI manual, 2.0 TFSI quattro, 3.2FSI manual and Auto, 2.0TDI 120, TDI 143 Multitronic, 2.7 TDI(both) and lastly the 3.0TDI.

It was reported before that Audi were planning an e model for the A4, which was meant to be using the 2.0TDI 120 engine, but it's clear that it's not happening just yet.

Great to see that BMW aren't having a free run at this emissions business anyhow, I say that as a BMW fan, but since I like cars, I'm certainly not going to ignore what every make is up to, and I'll always post these kind of things especially as they are good as I believe in giving credit where credit is due. Most A3 and A4 versions now match their BMW rivals, and it's the consumer who benefits through a lower purchase price(at least in theory) the most.

The only question is and I hope AudiChris will answer this for me:D, when will we see all these lower emissions versions of the A4?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Just to add that all petrol A5's have had CO2 improvements(though VRT/road tax remains unchanged).

There are new additions and CO2 improvements to the diesels though.

The 2.7 TDI Multitronic does 167 g/km, down from 179 g/km, so that puts it into the 24% VRT category, or the same as the 1.8 TFSI.
    The 3.0 TDI now also fares better, CO2 is down from 191 g/km to 172 g/km, so that brings it down into the 28% VRT category rather than 32% as before. That brings a €400 road tax saving every year with it. And it's now finally available with an Automatic gearbox, which is also a 28% VRT car.

The A8 3.0 TDI now joins the 2.8 FSI e in avoiding 36% VRT and €2,000 road tax a year as well.

Back to the A4 though. In Germany the 2.0 TFSI 180 retails for €1,950 over the 1.8 TFSI 160. Given that we have the complication of VRT and the 2.0 getting into a lower VRT category, it's hard to know how much of a premium it will carry over the 1.8 160 bhp here, it may not carry any because of VRT. The more powerful 211 bhp version is selling for €2,600 over the 180 bhp version in Germany though. We'd be talking about a premium of around €3,300 post July for it here(emissions and road tax remain unchanged from the 180 version).

Moving to the diesels, the new 2.0 TDI 120 bhp version retails for €1,900 less than the current 143 bhp version, so that should come in at around €2,300 less for us, as all 2.0 TDI manuals will be in the same VRT category as the super clean BMW 318d/320d. The new 2.0 TDI 170 bhp is €1,800 dearer than the 143 version in Germany, and that should translate into a premium of around €2,150 for us(again all these are post July estimates).

The new 2.7 TDI 190 bhp manual is €2,600 dearer in Germany than the 2.0 TDI 170, hard to know how it will be priced here as it's in the 24% VRT category from July rather than the 16% that the 2.0 TDIs will be able to enjoy.

All price estimates are just that, I only did rough calculations and besides I never adjusted for the fact that Germany has lower VAT than we do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

WTF E92, i hope ur not reccommending another marque other than Bavarian Motor Works???
    Anyway i spose youve heard that bmw are trying to get the 318d below 120g/km.Now that really would be some achievement for a small executive saloon.It'll also be interesting to see if the facelifted A6 will be any competitor for the 520d come july.I f they could manage to get that 170ps CR TDI in the same bracket as the bmw, it really would give people a nice choice to make

Zonda999 wrote: »
    WTF E92, i hope ur not recommending another marque other than Bavarian Motor Works???
    Anyway i spose youve heard that bmw are trying to get the 318d below 120g/km.Now that really would be some achievement for a small executive saloon.It'll also be interesting to see if the facelifted A6 will be any competitor for the 520d come july.I f they could manage to get that 170ps CR TDI in the same bracket as the bmw, it really would give people a nice choice to make
    Yes, I've covered the 318d here;)! It's only 3 g/km off target as it is, so it shouldn't be too hard for them(hopefully).

As I've said above in post #1, Audi will be getting their 2.0 TDI into the 16% VRT bracket for ALL manual A4 saloons. The only thing I don't know is when we will get the lower CO2 versions of the 2.0 TDI, because the current 2.0 TDI is in 20% VRT, and the new lower CO2 ones are in 16% VRT, the same as the 318d and 320d. Perhaps AudiChris might tell us? The 2.0 TDI will also be available in 120 and 170 bhp formats in addition to the current 143 bhp version. It will be interesting to see how the Irish will respond to this. I suspect even though they'll all be in the same CO2/VRT bracket, that most people will go for the lowest powered 120 bhp version:(. I'd be rather hoping that people go for the 170 version obviously:D.

What really excites me is the new 2.0 TFSI engine. Only 20% VRT for this. The 211 bhp version will be a fair rival for the BMW 325i, but unlike the 325i, it's in one VRT band lower, which is very, very good considering how the 325i is more efficient than a 1.6 Avensis. Though having 1.0 litres and 2 cylinders less to be feeding does help! And not only 211 bhp, but 258 lb ft of torque at did I read somewhere only 2500 rpm? There are definately advantages to forced induction engines, even if you have to make do with only 4 rather than 6 cylinders as a compromise:D!

The facelifted A6 will have the new common rail 2.0 TDI 170 engine to go head to head with the 520d too. I don't know if they'll bother replacing the 140 bhp engine, 140 bhp in a car of that size must be seriously slow(though Volvo's S80 starts with a laughably low 136 bhp).

Why wouldn't I give Audi praise when they deserve it anyway? I'll recognise achievements by any marque that successfully deprives the Government of a tax that should never have been there in the first place. If there's one thing I don't want is people being all confused over VRT and making buying decisions on only certain information available, the more people know the better a choice they can make for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

TBH, i've found it strange that merc have made no significant inroads in cutting their co2 compared to ingolstadt and munich.Tis a shame because i really like the new c-class.Are they gonna go off the radar in this country??

As for that 211bhp tfsi, it sounds great and the torque at 256 lb/ft is very good when you consider that the current 197 tfsi puts out just 206 lb/ft.This really does give the new A4 an excellent engine line up.I'm not thrilled with the introduction of the 120ps tdi but it would probably be grand.Cant help but thinking that that engine would be better used to replace another particular VAG engine that always get a lot of stick in this forum!!!!!!!!

Zonda999 wrote: »
    TBH, i've found it strange that merc have made no significant inroads in cutting their co2 compared to ingolstadt and munich.Tis a shame because i really like the new c-class.Are they gonna go off the radar in this country??

As for that 211bhp tfsi, it sounds great and the torque at 256 lb/ft is very good when you consider that the current 197 tfsi puts out just 206 lb/ft.This really does give the new A4 an excellent engine line up.I'm not thrilled with the introduction of the 120ps tdi but it would probably be grand.Cant help but thinking that that engine would be better used to replace another particular VAG engine that always get a lot of stick in this forum!!!!!!!!
    The A and B class have recently been facelifted in Germany, and most models in those ranges have CO2 improvements. They will be here later on in the year. There are new BlueEFFICIENCY models as well, with further improvements. A150, A170, B150 and B170. The A160 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY gets into 14% VRT too.

The new CLC(C class sport Coupé, read 3 series Compact rival) also offers CO2 improvements compared to it's predcessor. No idea when we get that one either.

They have an E350 CGI on the way too, which gets into 32% VRT rather than 36% for the regular E350. It's a direct injection engine, with more power and better economy than the regular E350. The regular one continues to be sold in Germany.

The C-class has 3 BlueEFFICIENCY models, but apparently they won't be offered in RHD for the foreseeable future. C 180, C 200 CDI and C 350 CGI. 20%(rather than 28%), 16%(rather than 20%) and 32%(rather than 36%) VRT respectively. Manual Gearbox ONLY for all BlueEFFICIENCY models(who will buy a manual Merc? The whole point of a Merc is relaxation, not labour, as well as the fact that manual Mercs are meant to be useless). They're only a few hundred euro dearer in their native Germany than the regular versions.

Apart from those, with all the improvements from Audi in the A3, A4, more engine additions to the A5, as well as improvements to the existing versions of the A5, the facelifted A6 with a 12% reduction in CO2 compared to the present one, and of course the much publicised BMW EfficientDynamics which are on all BMWs bar the M models, Z4, X3 and 7 series, Mercs do badly compared to anything that's not BMW/Audi(which in turn are still well behind either of these 2 makes), let alone a BMW or an Audi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

E92 wrote: »
    ...Perhaps AudiChris might tell us?

Sorry, no idea at the moment. I've learned more from you here than I have from Audi - they keep their cards pretty close to their chests!

Afaik there's a retooling around week 26 in the factory, you'll probably see a lot of these changes coming through at the same time, but I don't know for definite.

AudiChris wrote: »
    Sorry, no idea at the moment. I've learned more from you here than I have from Audi - they keep their cards pretty close to their chests!

Afaik there's a retooling around week 26 in the factory, you'll probably see a lot of these changes coming through at the same time, but I don't know for definite.
    Well I gained all my info courtesy of Audi's German site:D. All you've got to do is select the model, then they show you the bodystyles, then you look for "Preise und Katalog"(prices and catalogues), click on "Preisliste"(self explanatory I think!) which opens a pdf file(it's underneath "Katalog bestellen" or order a catalogue), and you go down a few pages and you will come across "Benziner Modelle"(you'll figure it out when you see the marketing terms:D) and "Diesel Modelle"(well if you didn't get what Benziner Modelle meant then I think you'll find "Diesel Modelle" pretty much explains what we're talking about:D). They list prices, CO2, fuel consumption in litres per 100 km, power in bhp(or PS since it's German) and the gearbox. Schaltgetriebe=manual gearbox and "Gang"=gears or else speed since it's to do with a gearbox(it also means course when it's to do with meals but that's another story:D)!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Good news for the 1.8T I suppose, that got a bit of a pounding in the new tax system in its previous version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

E92 wrote: »
    Well I gained all my info courtesy of Audi's German site.

Yeah, a lot of this info is floating around, but you've actually gone to the trouble of checking it out and making it easy to see whats going on. It's appreciated!

No bother AudiChris!

Some more Audi info, just for you;)!

The B8 S4 will be using a 3.0 Supercharged TFSI V6 with 350 bhp. It's clear that Audi are very much intent on phasing out naturally aspirated petrol engines at this stage in favour of smaller turbo units (with fewer cylinders, why not just downsize and keep the number of cylinders alone:(?)

This engine will also replace the current V8 in the S5(eventually, pity because the S5's V8 makes such a good noise:().

The reason for the downsizing and forced induction is simple: similar power but far less fuel consumption. So that's some good news, though I would argue that if you're bothered about saving the planet, why are you buying a car with 350 bhp in the first place?

But if they can get it into 32% VRT and avoid €2k road tax a year then I'll forgive them:D!

We'll find out if this engine is any good later on this year, because it will make it's debut in the facelifted A6, which is coming in Autumn to Germany at the very least. In a detuned state of course:D! "Only" 290 bhp for the A6. And the Q5 will get this new engine in the fullness of time too.

Got all this info courtesy of WorldCarFans.com!

• Advertisement
Advertisement