Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time Arts Degree UCD

Options
  • 24-04-2008 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi all

just looking for some info.
    im thinking of doing a part time degree in UCD and looking to do economics.

do you have to do 2 subjects or can i do economics on its own?
    how many years does it take? i imagine 4 yrs part time..

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

In arts there are only a limited number of places for going into pure History and pure English. 12 for both if I remember. As a result I'd say it would be hard for a part-time student to get that and you may have to go full time. Ask the economics department, they will tell you for deffo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

It is possible to do Single Major Economics. They take 20 from CAO applicants and another 20 (could be 10) from 1st year Arts Omnibus applicants.

You should ring or email the School of Economics about the part-time thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gudbuzz

is there anyone doing the part time course this year? i got a place as a mature student through the cao, think you can only choose from art history, french and philosophy... do you get to choose from more subjects next year does anyone know? the prospectus is very confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Are you doing the part-time course at night or during the day?

Hi,
    I'm doing the part time course at night time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If you're doing an Arts degree in the evening, the choice of subjects is much more limited than those on offer to day students.

There are only a certain number of courses on offer at each level (i.e. year) each year. For example, this year the subjects mentioned above are available to Level 1 (1st year) students, while a completely different subjects are on offer to Level 2 (2nd year) students. This is because the subjects are only on offer at a certain level on alternative years.

So, for example, this year philosophy is on offer to Level 1 and Level 3 students. Next year it will only be available to Level 2 students.

Off the top of my head, I can't remember if the choice is extended next year. If you take a look at the Level 3 options, it might give you an impression of what to expect. But, as I said, courses and subjects on offer vary from year to year and cycle to cycle.

I just finished the evening degree and the choice at night was rather limited, on the one hand by the subjects that were offered each year, but also by the courses that were offered within each subject (you had very little choice in what courses you select).
    In the year before last I was able to choose some of the day courses, but that was in the middle of the evening degree being switched over to the new degree and I'm not sure if that was just an anomaly or if they still allow this.
    Best thing is to contact the Program office and ask them. They were always quite helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 johnjoe29

hi everyone

I'm thinking of applying for this course next year and was just wondering what the course fees are per year. Also how many years does it take to complete the course.

I paid a little bit above 12.000 for the whole course.

The minimum time is 4 years, if you do 4 evenings a week for 3 years and 2 evenings for 1 year.
    The maximum up to now was 7 years (2 evenings a week), but that might have changed, as I think that now you can take just 1 evening a week (but I'm not too sure about this).

wowsers that is a long time... am reconsidering even doing it now! really want to become a secondary school teacher though... if english doesnt come up next year I wonder if it is possible to transfer from being a part time evening student to the part time day course?
    am i right in saying that you need 20extra credits on your degree in any other random subject/s than you are majoring in? does anyone have any thoughts on the course as a whole i.e. is it worth 12,000??!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 55chevy

Take a look on cao: http://www.cao.ie/courses.php

Hi
    I'm definitely thinking about applying for the part time arts course for next year. Can anyone tell me how the course is timetabled for part time students. Are part time students in for a few hours every day or would they be in for one or two full days a week. Also are part time students mixed in with the full time students. Finally could anyone recommend me a text book for the following first year subjects as i'd just like to see what level the course is pitched at. I'm thinking of economics history politics statistics and philosophy. thanks anyone in advance.
    JJ

If you do the evening course, you have lectures either 2 or 4 evenings a week (depending on if you do 1 or 2 subjects per year). In this case, you are only with part-time students.
    If you do the day time option, I think you just take some of the classes, the full-time students are taking and I think the only difference here is that you take less credits per year than the full-time students.

I can't really suggest any textbooks, as I only took history out of your choice and there we didn't had any real textbook. It also depends on what courses they offer when you start.
    The only one that comes near being a textbook would be Alvin Jackson Ireland 1798-1998 for the 'Ireland from Act of Union to Independence' course.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

The main text in first year economics is Principles of Economics by McDowell, Thom, Frank and Bernanke. I believe there is a new edition out this year, so picking up the older version to have a look may not be too difficult.

Sorry about reactivating this thread but i just wanted peoples opion on one more topic. I'm currently working shift work in my job and am thinking of this course for next year. looking at the timetables i reckon i'd be able to attend about 80 to 85% of my lectures and tutorials. Do present/former arts students think it possible to complete the course successfully by doing this. Just looking for other peoples opiion.
    JJ

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If you manage to attend most of your lectures/tutorials, submit coursework and do some reading around the course, you should be fine.

Just to put it in perspective... Some day students can pass by attending less than 50% of lectures and/or tutorials...

It shouldn't be a problem, if you can't attend all courses, but put in all the effort o therwise needed, but there are 2 things to consider.
    Some courses (e.g. History) have marks for attendance so you could lose marks if you don't attend every lecture (should only really be a problem if you are borderline and really need that extra 1%.
    In the evening course you are much more visible to the lecturers than the normal daytime student, due to the smaller number of students (especially in 2nd and 3rd year). It might therefor good, if you go to the lecturer beforehand and tell him this, so that he doesn't think you do it because you don't like his subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭insafehands

Anyone able to give me an idea of the times involved? I'm doing the evening course but what would the earliest class be? Would it be 6-10 or 4-6 or something like that? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Is Stage 2 open yet?:confused:

Anyone able to give me an idea of the times involved? I'm doing the evening course but what would the earliest class be? Would it be 6-10 or 4-6 or something like that? Cheers.

Lectures are normally from 18:00-20:30. Some have Tutorials after that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement