Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what type of relationship should Ireland have with Britain?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

djpbarry wrote: »
    Anyone born anywhere in the world is entitled to Irish citizenship if one of their parents or grandparents is an Irish citizen; islands and seas have nothing to do with it.

I know sure even Tony Cascarino got an Irish Passport, and i'm sure if anyone from abroad knows Bertie Ahern, he can probably sort them out too, for a fee of course. :D

The argument is really one of Nation v State. The Nation covers all of this island, the state stops a bit North of Dundalk (at least until Unification anyway). Thats the point some people don't seem to comprehend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Ok, lets forget about Counties if it makes it easier for you. The Irish Nation consists of all the island of Ireland, including its islands and seas. Therefore anyone born on the island of Ireland is an Irish National should they so choose, and is entitled to an Irish Passport and Nationality.

Should they choose & Entitled . . . indeed they are, but if One Million people in Northern Ireland dont want an 'Irish' Passport because they are 'British' & hold British Passports then who are you to argue with that?

Our relationship with Britain is just fine, and getting better all the time thankfully, and if the North wishes to remain within the UK, then so be it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Ok, lets forget about Counties if it makes it easier for you. The Irish Nation consists of all the island of Ireland, including its islands and seas.
    Right, because that's completely different from what you said before. Not.

The Irish Nation consists of people, and has nothing to do with islands. Unless you want to claim that my brother is less Irish than a northern Unionist, just because he doesn't live here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

turgon wrote: »
    Tell me El Stuntman, are you a believer in democracy? Because you seem to be willing to ignore the will of the majority in the North because in your opinion what you think is better than them*. Which is dogmatic and by extension ignorant. Other examples of people with that thinking through history include Lenin and Stalin, under whose regime 1 person was murdered every 20 seconds. Your on the wrong side of the fence.

*Funny because the reason people originally fought for Irish Independence was disrespect for democracy.

I think he was being sarcastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

How very embarresing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I think he was being sarcastic.

Ha ha - never even said that ;)

I feel much like Stalin - the great ability to erase history detrimental to me as a person....

Advertisement