Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We need a funny chatshow

• 24-04-2008 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭

We need a funny Chatshow. In England they have Jonathan Ross and in America they have Conan O Brien, why can't Ireland have a chatshow like these. The Late Late Show and Ryan Tubrity are borefests and have no real audience other then old timers. Podge and Rodge are grand but i'd still feel a little better if we had a Human face to do a comedy chatshow. I've always felt guys like Jason Byrne, Ed Byrne or even Ardal O` Hanlon could pull off a good chatshow that has comedy to it but normal issues as well. What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Riddle101 wrote: »
    We need a funny Chatshow. In England they have Jonathan Ross and in America they have Conan O Brien, why can't Ireland have a chatshow like these. The Late Late Show and Ryan Tubrity are borefests and have no real audience other then old timers. Podge and Rodge are grand but i'd still feel a little better if we had a Human face to do a comedy chatshow. I've always felt guys like Jason Byrne, Ed Byrne or even Ardal O` Hanlon could pull off a good chatshow that has comedy to it but normal issues as well. What do you think?

Could be good, but I wouldn't trust rte not to make a complete dogs of it.

But there is no way any of those three you mentioned should be let allowed near it, although rte would probably bring one of them in to do it. Which brings me back to my first point.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

orestes wrote: »
    Could be good, but I wouldn't trust rte not to make a complete dogs of it.

But there is no way any of those three you mentioned should be let allowed near it, although rte would probably bring one of them in to do it. Which brings me back to my first point.....

Dosen't have to be RTE, could be TV3 or Channel 6 depending on which one is more independant

BTW what's wrong with Jason, Ed and Ardal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 kovski

Jason Byrne did have a chatshow acouple of years ago. It was called The Jason Byrne Show and predictably it was terrible. All Irish chatshows run into the same problem: a lack of decent guests. Even Jonathon Ross has problems trying to drag a decent interview out of a zelebrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Ryan Tubridy does offer a good show,His audience is well mixed from all age groups..

We dont have any person who can do a show in the same way as Jonathan Ross Or Michael Parkinson can..

I would think that maybe Des Cahill or Even Tom Dunne could do a fairly good job..
    Tom Dunne Does a great job when he covers for Ray D'acy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 kovski

What about Sean Moncrief? His show from the mid nineties was okay. Ryan Tubridy makes me want to hit things. The word smarmy could have been invented especially for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Ryan Tubridy reminds me of someone I really despise. True story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

No, he IS someone you despise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Delganys Finest

I think Ryan Tubridy does well .I don't imagine rte give him or anyone else much rein in the running of things.I mean look at the format ffs.Not exactly cutting edge stuff.
    Jonathan Ross is pretty brutal these days compared to how he was imo
    shlurp shlurp your new film plug plug blah blah I think you're deadly *applause *next yadda yadda yadda I like your shoes *innuendo etc
    I liked the way Parkinson actually let the guest speak without interrupting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Dara O'Brien would be a good choice. Struggling to think of anyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Podge (but not rodge)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Bring back Brendan Courtney! He delivered the sort of lighthearted chat and entertainment that was just the ticket to brighten up the mid week. Come on TV3 - give him a new series. It'll get the nation through these dark, uncertain times

<runs for dear life>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Bushalicious

cosgrove80 wrote: »

Dara is the worst. Cant stand the man. Same with the other "comedians" mentioned in previous posts. We need to find some new blood with talent. Not those idiots who present on rte two though. Zero personality,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

cosgrove80 wrote: »
    Are you serious? He's a boring ****. As for the other three idiots it's bad enough that they give them air time as it is, never mind giving them their own show. That Jason Byrne should be put down, his program disguising people is the same sh1t over and over. He's like a giddy overgrown ten year old in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

MoominPapa wrote: »
    Bring back Brendan Courtney! He delivered the sort of lighthearted chat and entertainment that was just the ticket to brighten up the mid week. Come on TV3 - give him a new series. It'll get the nation through these dark, uncertain times

<runs for dear life>
    Not him, send him packing with his makeup bag. They are talking about comedy not BB rejects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

derek davis

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Graham Norton is irish and his chat shows are muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Not him, send him packing with his makeup bag. They are talking about comedy not BB rejects.
    Not him indeed. He said Bendan Courtney not Brian Dowling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

The problem with chat shows in ireland is that traditionally they have had to be everything to everyone. The Late Late has had to broadcast a show suitable for all viewers. Which is why you'd get acts who's target audience would be teenage girls, mixed in with acts aimed towards oaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

We need a funny Chatshow. In England they have Jonathan Ross and in America they have Conan O Brien, why can't Ireland have a chatshow like these.

Rte's whole light entertainment budget would be swallowed up making a show like the Conan O'Brien show
    Writers/researchers etc

+ I think the chat show is on its last legs, The Ross show is getting old, same old same old, grand slouch friday night tv but when he quits who bbc gonna put in his place.
    Its all about product placement, never ask them anything of note. Tubs having yer wan off Podge and Rodge on "did you like school?" LOL
    Why would any big star want to go on Irish tv, the market isnt big enough to reach an auidence for what ever they are selling, spend same time on Ross and reach nation of 70 million instead of 4 million

Even though it must be hard for Rte to attract guests its still no excuse for the "Celibritiesss" they get on, z listers from mags that 13 yr old girls buy, or MEDIAaaa types, NOT the auidence for the shows they are on, so whats the point of getting them on in first place?
    +Still no excuse for paying Tubs/Kenny the money they do for the tripe they serve up

Friday/Saturday nights should become DVD nights for all!?
    Well for all who stay in anyhu:D

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Ed Byrne is the worst comedian (if thats what he calls himself these days) ever to come out of Ireland and there have been some bad ones over the years. God he is annoying!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

graham nortens back and his shows are great, the one with tony curtis kevien bacon and this week with martin sheen we're quite brill, although they sorta were telling old stories. as talk shows goes graham nortens gets the best out of em.

Advertisement