Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i determine if i have a leak between oil tank and house?

Options
  • 24-04-2008 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hey all,

I noticed last night I was out of oil after only putting half a tank in in January. Normally half a tank in January should last me until the end of summer. The previous few evenings were mild, so I may have been out for a few days before noticing. Since I wasn't using it excessively there seem 2 primary possible options:

1; Theft, about which there seems much discussion. Since I'm home more than most, have 2 dogs (inside), and my neighbours haven't had problem..this seems possible but less likely.

2: A possible leak between the tank and the boiler in the house. I don't get any definite smell in the utulity room where the boiler is. Nor does there seem any strong smell around the tank outlet/valve. Which leaves the possibility of a leak in the pipe from the tank to the house.

I will be getting another half tank tomorrow. Any suggestions about what I should do?

(I will look at getting a steel shed and installing a PIR Security light around the tank this summer just in case it is theft.)

Thanks for any suggestions....
    Donal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 overworked82

:)How will I know if my tank is leaking or is near the end of its useful life?img_5.jpgYou may not. [SIZE=-1]If your tank is leaking, it is very possible you won't know it. An unexplained increase in fuel consumption can be an indication.[/SIZE]
    No early warning signs. [SIZE=-1]Fuel tanks generally corrode from the inside out so there will not necessarily be any visual evidence of an impending leak.
    [/SIZE] Soil speeds corrosion. [SIZE=-1]Steel tanks corrode much more quickly when they are unprotected and buried, than when situated above ground or specially protected before burying. Buried tanks can corrode and leak without obvious signs on the surface.[/SIZE]
    In some cases, you may be able to identify a leaking oil tank.
    [SIZE=-1]See the box on the next page for

Talk to the experts.
    [SIZE=-1]Most oil companies will be pleased to evaluate your tank at no cost to you.[/SIZE]
    What are my legal responsibilities in the
    event of a leak or spill?
    Potentially enormous.
    [SIZE=-1]Once a tank fails, it can be a homeowner's worst nightmare. Not only is the owner ofthe tank liable for cleanup costs, but also because of the "absolute pollution exclusion" clause in virtually all policies, their insurance company will not cover them. If a spill occurs through the negligence of another party, they may be compelled to pay all or part of the costs.[/SIZE]
    How can I best avoid this possibility?
    Replace your oil tank before the end of its expected life span.
    [SIZE=-1]Remember, the life expectancy of a buried oil tank is no more than 10 to 15 years. Timely replacement now will avoid the cost of cleaning up a spill later. Many oil companies will spread the cost of removing and replacing your tank over several years at no interest. Ask your service provider.[/SIZE]
    If you suspect you may have a leak, don't panic!
    [SIZE=-1]Get help right away. If you find contamination or even a sign that there has been a leak, call your service provider immediately. They have the expertise to deal quickly with the situation. You can also contact the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Spill Incident Hotline anytime, at (800) 457-7362. They will guide and assist you.[/SIZE]
    Take your responsibility seriously.
    [SIZE=-1]In New York State, failure to report or clean up a petroleum spill can be subject to heavy penalties, sometimes for every day that the spill is not cleaned up.[/SIZE]
    Can I just empty my old tank and leave it in the ground?
    When in doubt, take it out.
    [SIZE=-1]The best choice is to remove the tank. There are however, correct abandonment procedures that can be undertaken by certified professionals. Your oil supplier can provide details.[/SIZE]
    Is the Town requiring me to take action?
    No.
    [SIZE=-1]If you store a total of less than 1,100 gallons of fuel oil on your property, your tank or tanks are not regulated. But as a homeowner, you are responsible for keeping your oil tank and related fixtures well maintained and free of leaks.img_7.jpg[/SIZE]
    What can I do to protect my aboveground tank?
    Place your oil tank on a stable foundation and anchor it.
    [SIZE=-1]A poured concrete base for example, will prevent your outdoor tank from buckling or tipping due to frost heaving, soft ground or flooding.[/SIZE]
    Check your fuel lines.
    [SIZE=-1]Fuel lines from your tank to your furnace are the most common sources of leaks. Frost, vehicle traffic and corrosion can cause damage. Fuel lines buried in a basement floor can corrode from contact with the surrounding concrete.[/SIZE]
    (Here is a website that explains testing http://www.inspect-ny.com/oiltanks/tanktest.htm)
    Keep pipe connections and fittings clean and tight.img_9.jpg
    [SIZE=-1]Poor maintenance of tank, pipes and fill port as well as badly fitted connections can cause leaks.[/SIZE]
    Provide additional containment.
    [SIZE=-1]Consider placing the tank within a fuel-resistant storage bin.[/SIZE]
    Let it breathe. [SIZE=-1]Clear ice, snow, leaves and debris from around the tank, allowing it to properly breathe. [/SIZE]
    Make sure that the vent alarm is working.
    [SIZE=-1]All indoor tanks must be fitted with a vent alarm that alerts the oil delivery driver when the correct fill level is reached.
    You can ask your driver to verify if yours is operating properly.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Tips for identifying an oil leak.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Quite often a leaking oil tank will show no signs of a problem. In many cases however, one or more of the following clues are a good indication that immediate attention is required.

[*]Excessive water in the tank (this is often accompanied by knocking sounds in the pipes).
      [*]Dead vegetation around the tank area or fill port.
      [*]Oil odor in the home, crawl space or basement.
      [*]Oily stains around the fill port, vent lines or tank.
      [*]Signs of oil in the sump pump or floor drains.
      [*]Small amounts of oil leaking from fittings, valves, filters, piping or tank gauge.
      [*]In the case of an above ground tank, also check for surface rust, wet spots and dents.

If any of these conditions are present, you should contact your oil service supplier for a more thorough inspection. They will advise you on your best course of action.[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=+2]Do you suspect that you may have an oil leak, or that the condition of your tank is marginal? If so, call your service provider now and find out what your options are.[/SIZE]
      img_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Call plumber and ask if they would carry out a pressure test on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

DonalB wrote: »
      Hey all,

I noticed last night I was out of oil after only putting half a tank in in January. Normally half a tank in January should last me until the end of summer. The previous few evenings were mild, so I may have been out for a few days before noticing. Since I wasn't using it excessively there seem 2 primary possible options:

1; Theft, about which there seems much discussion. Since I'm home more than most, have 2 dogs (inside), and my neighbours haven't had problem..this seems possible but less likely.

2: A possible leak between the tank and the boiler in the house. I don't get any definite smell in the utulity room where the boiler is. Nor does there seem any strong smell around the tank outlet/valve. Which leaves the possibility of a leak in the pipe from the tank to the house.

I will be getting another half tank tomorrow. Any suggestions about what I should do?

(I will look at getting a steel shed and installing a PIR Security light around the tank this summer just in case it is theft.)

Thanks for any suggestions....
      Donal

I have known lots of people to use a lot more than 500 litres in 4 months.

This year many people, including myself, have had to get refills earlier than usual - It's been cold and miserable.

Unless the pipe is very deep in the garden, if there is a leak, the oil will usually come to the surface, especially with all the rain we have had - oil sits on water, and will come to the surface.
      Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

My parents run an oil business and it's been much busier than normal for this time of year as people have been using more due to the weather. TBH I'd leave well enough alone for this round and just keep an eye on the usage.

If you're thinking back to last year you can't compare as the weather was much better and there was little or no oil being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭DonalB

Thanks guys.

In terms of usage, I'm actually talking about my usage pattern over the last 8 years. Plus this year I'm training to swim the english channel, so I've been trying habituate to colder temperatures (only a summer duvet in the bedroom, windows open most of the winter, etc). Granted it's driving my girlfriend mad when she stays over. So I'm pretty sure about my usage.

Anyway, I think I'll just keep it simple and monitor this tank more closely. I like the idea of watching for the oil on the surface, adn as it's pissing today I'm off out for a look later, though since the tank drop to boiler drop is a couple of feet under a concrete slab covered area I think the pipe is pretty deep and this won't be conclusive if I see nothing.

Appreciate the help.

Regards
      Donal

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Have you had your boiler serviced? An unserviced boiler will burn much more oil for any given amount of heat than a well serviced boiler. Just a thought.

Advertisement