Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another reason to love Japanese innovation

Options
  • 24-04-2008 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

The Japanese Bike Tower

Ok, c'mon, it's nearly friday and the world is filled with bad news, so why not brighten up your day with this little YouTube nugget.

Maybe Dublin City Council should consider installing one of these at the Carlton site on O'Connell Street, to make up for the loss of bike parking up there. Should sit nicely underneath the 'sky park'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

unionman wrote: »
    The Japanese Bike Tower

Ok, c'mon, it's nearly friday and the world is filled with bad news, so why not brighten up your day with this little YouTube nugget.

Maybe Dublin City Council should consider installing one of these at the Carlton site on O'Connell Street, to make up for the loss of bike parking up there. Should sit nicely underneath the 'sky park'.

Thats a great idea for storing bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Brilliant.
    unionman wrote: »
    The Japanese Bike Tower

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Those Cheeky Little Chaps!!

Volkswagen Have an almost Identical system in Germany For where you go to collect your BRAND NEW CAR and when it comes to you it has exactly ZERO km on it..

However Since it is Nearly Friday I will participate in the fun and say
    (in the tone of Homer Simpson)

"What will they think of next?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭proteus

The rails holding the bike in place in the tower look a bit dodgy. I can't see anything to stop a bike rolling forward and then falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

that might be the most over engineered solution to a problem i've ever seen.

it's hard not to think that sooner or later that contraption will mince your bike and bring it's pretzeled remains back to you with stunning efficiency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

niceonetom wrote: »
    that might be the most over engineered solution to a problem i've ever seen.

it's hard not to think that sooner or later that contraption will mince your bike and bring it's pretzeled remains back to you with stunning efficiency.

I wouldn't like to see what happens if an earthquake was to rock the joint....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

My guess is your bike would be 100% safe in that system. But my guess is a ban on cycling in Dublin (between the canals) is more likely than that being installed. Not public transport, and yeah, we didn't think about it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

There are a fair few of these for cars; the main advantage is that they can pack the vehicles much more closely and achieve a far higher density than a traditional car park. They can also be much quicker than manually finding a space in a large multi-storey. Of course sometimes they do go wrong, although the technology is pretty mature now.

Here's the VW example

For bikes I am not sure it makes so much sense given how little space they take up to begin with.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the system grabs the front wheel for stability so the bikes are parked with handle bars to the centre

if you parked the handle bars first you could fit twice as many bikes on a carsole type system or have the rails move left /right to open up to allow the next bike on

speed would be a problem 22 seconds would be hard to beat.

with that system you couldn't leave panniers on the bike as the support at the rear wheel looks a little light

Advertisement