Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband being Interupted By Phone Calls.

Options
  • 24-04-2008 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hi,

Apologies If this has been asked before and if the mods feel the need to move it to the proper thread.

I couldnt find a thread dealing with my specific problem.

I have Eircom Broadband with a netopia 2247NWG modem (if that helps) Im using cables and not wireless.

After months of problems, re~wired cable the outcome has been that....

When a phone call comes in, the dsl light that was steady on starts to flash and the internet light goes from green to red. Then when i use the phone to call my mobile (as a test to fix the dsl connection), the dsl light is steady on again and the internet light turns back green.

Has anyone come across this problem before and if so can you please help.

The modem is located in a bedroom and connected into a phone point upstairs. It's too far away for the hall to be plugged into the main socket. Can i leave the modem where it is? or do I need to plug it in the main hall socket and use a router. (i seen this mentioned in another thread)

I do have filters on the phones, but there is so noise "leaking" through.

Other than that the broadband is working fine.

Sorry again if ive repeated a thread.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Could be dodgy wiring or a bad dsl filter/splitter. As a test connect the dsl modem directly where your phone point comes in the house, using a dsl filter, and connect a phone to the 'phone' output of the filter. Test this with all your filters in turn and see if you can pinpoint a potentially bad microfilter. Disconnect all other phone/faxes when doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

Thanks degsie.

It seems it was a dodgy filter on the main phone in hall.

If I had known this would have saved a LOT of work and months of cursing eircom!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need a filter on the Modem too (use "Modem" socket )

All the phones and any fax, phone alarm watch, Skydigibox, analog Modems etc all need plugged into phone socket of DSL filters.

If you hear DSL noise on phone the DSL filters you have are not very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

watty wrote: »
    You need a filter on the Modem too (use "Modem" socket )

Eh, the op knows this and it was part of my post also ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sorry.. I had my PC on too long without hitting "refresh" Only had the OP up :)

BTW there are 10 kinds of people that understand Fuzzy logic (or Ternary).

Those that do, that don't and those that arn't sure. :) You should get a new sig :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement