Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High Res Royalty Free Images online for free?

• 24-04-2008 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a site where I can find some high res royalty free images for free? Something along the lines of istockphoto but without the price tag? I have come across a few sites but the images are fairly crap and limited?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

You have answered your own question in the last sentence... What sort of shots are you looking for? Its only $20 for the hi-res shots on istock...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ladyA

Borderfox wrote: »
    Its only $20 for the hi-res shots on istock...

But its $20 I don't have. Thanks sxc did the job - can't thank you enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

google?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Use Creative Commons licensed images, if it's non-commercial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭siralan

Hi, Im currently setting up a new business which is environmental consultancy and need some images for my website. My designer told me I would need to purchase images online to avoid copyright issues. Im fine with that, but when I started looking online I found it very confusing to buy images. Some sites sell you credits to use and others dont tell you the exact price straight away. Basically I am looking for an image of green grass with a bright blue sky in the distance. Only for Irelands crappy climate I would try and take my own photo. Can anyone tell me the best way of going about getting the right photo? As it will form the complete background to the site it has to be crystal clear in high definition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

siralan wrote: »
    Hi, Im currently setting up a new business which is environmental consultancy and need some images for my website. My designer told me I would need to purchase images online to avoid copyright issues. Im fine with that, but when I started looking online I found it very confusing to buy images. Some sites sell you credits to use and others dont tell you the exact price straight away. Basically I am looking for an image of green grass with a bright blue sky in the distance. Only for Irelands crappy climate I would try and take my own photo. Can anyone tell me the best way of going about getting the right photo? As it will form the complete background to the site it has to be crystal clear in high definition.

Fair play to the designer for not directing you to google image search.

There are loads of different stock photography sites and they all have different rules. Some sell you images individually, some sell you credits that you use to "buy" images. Some sell you a number of downloads for a fixed price.

On this one you can get 5 full-sized jpegs for 50 US dollars.
    http://www.shutterstock.com/subscribe.mhtml

As part of a commercial enterprise that's a very small amount of money for high quality artwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

siralan wrote: »

http://photodune.net/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&term=grass

Don't know why your designer isn't sourcing images for you though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Did wonder the same thing. Figured it's a "mates rates" job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Or here:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=grass+blue+sky&l=comm&ss=2&ct=0&mt=all&adv=1&s=int

flickr search for Creative Commons with commercial use allowed. Note that some if not all of these require at least attribution, click on the 'some rights reserved' to see exactly what type of CC license is on the shot.

-edit- also, I doubt the photographers have model or property releases for the shots where it might be necessary so that's something you'll have to take into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Chochese wrote: »

This. Pay attention to the licence for any additional stipulations but i've found lots of usable stuff there on previous occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭siralan

Thanks for the advice guys it's not a mates rate job but I'm already getting a good deal for the design so I don't want to push my luck too much !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

How does that work? Would the designer pay the license fee and factor it into their own fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Zillah wrote: »
    How does that work? Would the designer pay the license fee and factor it into their own fee?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 allfred

Were pics part of the contract with the designer?

Personally I prefer that the cost of the image is separated from the cost of the work, as the client can choose, since there is a wide range of costs for pictures, from getty images $$$$$$ to istock $$$ e thinkstock $

Preference

Advertisement