Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thai Green Curry?

• 24-04-2008 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have their own recipes for green curry? I can never seem to get it right, it always turns out too bland and I have to stick in red curry paste to make it tastier.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What do you put in your green curry? It is certainly not a dish that should be "bland".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I use a ready made green curry paste but also add kaffir lime leaves, garlic, green chillies and lemongrass. Fresh lime juice and fish sauce finish the curry.

Fry four chichen thighs cut into strips in a little oil
    Add chopped garlic, whole lemongrass and lime leaves
    Add a large spoonful of green curry paste
    Add green chilli to taste
    Add 1 400ml can of coconut milk
    Cook for 15 minutes
    Add a squeeze of lime and fish sauce to taste
    Serve on jasmine rice with a pile of bean shoots and some chopped fresh coriander on top.

A few green beans, or pea aubergines will add another texture to the curry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Use "May Ploy" curry paste. Its the best.

Also try and get holy basil from an asian store. It'll make a big difference.
    Also a bit of caster sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Smash lemongrass stalks with the flat of a heavy knife before you put it in to release more of the flavour.

Where are people getting hold of kaffir lime leaves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Um, I'm growing mine, but when in the UK/Ireland I'd quest until I found a supermarket/online provider who sold fresh, buy a pillowcase-full and then freeze them. They freeze really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I don't have as much time these days to devote to my cooking, so rarely get to make my green curry from scratch, so use shop-bought paste. I'd generally do the following:

Fry for 2/3 mins 2 dessert spoons of curry paste with 4 or 5 garlic cloves, a thumb-sized piece of ginger & zest of a lemon or lime finely chopped.
    Add can of coconut milk & simmer for 10 minutes to allow to infuse with the aromatics.
    Then add chicken pieces (I usually slice mine very thinly) & simmer for 10 mins.
    Now add 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, same of fish sauce, juice of two limes, a chopped green chilli or 2 & 2 teaspoons of sugar.
    Then add whatever veg you fancy. I ususally throw in some bean sprouts, baby sweetcorn, a finely sliced green pepper, chopped whites of a bunch of scallions & finely chopped fresh coriander & basil stalks.
    Simmer for another 5 mins.
    Serve with chopped fresh coriander & basil, & the greens of the scallions.

rockbeer wrote: »
    I used to buy them in the asian market on Drury Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Cheers guys. Yes I can see where I'm going wrong now...off to the Asian market I go :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rockbeer wrote: »
    Tesco.
    What I can't seem to find in Tesco, or everywhere else (I even tried the asian market off georges' street but they were out) is thai basil.

I can't find fresh thai basil myself, but I have seen holy basil in a jar from the asian markets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

WindSock wrote: »
    I can't find fresh thai basil myself, but I have seen holy basil in a jar from the asian markets.

I sometimes use ordinary basil worked ok ,but i would prefer Thai if you could regularly get it

• Advertisement

Back home from Asian Market in Drury st. They sell fresh Thai Basil there, E1.50 for loads, couldn't find lime leaves though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

mr%20burns.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's so easy and fresher tasting to make your own green curry paste.

In food processor put;

Ginger
    Garlic
    Galangal (Asian store)
    Lemongrass
    Green Chili
    Corriander stalks ( keep leaves for serving)
    Corriander seed (toasted)
    Cumin seed (sparingly, toasted)

Blitz to paste

Also use coconut milk, fish sauce, soy sauce, and lime juice.

Garnish with, chopped spring onion and corriander leaf and lime wedge.

Advertisement