Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi Allroad or alternative ?

Options
  • 24-04-2008 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭

My Dad is thinking of buying the above . Its a 2.5TDI quattro tiptronic .

The vendor is looking for €20 k , 2002 year and it has 130 k miles with full known service history.

Has anyone any experience of these cars or whats the general consesus regarding realibity, value etc

Maybe someone could offer a better alternative .

Must have criteria

be 4wd (Dad a Builder)
    Diesel
    Auto
    €20 k circa

His presently driving 2002 Santa Fe Auto Diesel

Your opinions welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

If thats the same engine as the one in the transporter I've just been given , its fast but the power band is very narrow and its very loud. Also 20 grand for something that age and with that mileage is mad money. If it was a prestige car I would say ok but for a glorified VW -crazy.
    When you say he's a builder , do you mean he's going to use it for work because they are no work vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The only real alternatives to the Allroader that come to mind would be the Subaru Legacy Outback or Forester. Unfortunately neither were available with a diesel engine. Bloody good cars though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

20 K for a 2002 car with 130,000 miles.

Outrageous price.

think again.

sorry I can't give more specific ideas but that price is just amazing.

Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Don't volvo have a 4wd estate.

Also, Skoda have the Octavia Combi Scout. Doubt you'll get a second hand one yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

If it was a prestige car I would say ok but for a glorified VW -crazy.

One could certainly argue about the price, 20 k seems a bit much. But apart from that, there are nice cars, and I certainly wouldn't call them a glorified VW.

Volvos answer to the allroad is the XC 70

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volvo/XC70/2.5-diesel/861980/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd buy a Forester and swallow the fuel bills. A 130k big Audi is going to be a money pit in terms of maintenance, even with a FSH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I've owned a Allroad 2.5 TDi from new (2003). They are a great car. I would agree that the engine is a bit noisy, but extremely reliable. It's also pretty powerful considering the weight of the car.

They are generally pretty bullet proof. One problem that is pretty consistent is that the air bags on the suspension go (mainly the front) causing the suspension to sag. These are expensive to replace - around €500 each. Put the suspension on the lowest setting and wait a few minutes. If it sags, then you know you have a problem.

I would agree that €20k for a car with that milage seems high. However, if it's in good condition and has a full service history then it's probably not too far off the mark. There's a lot more miles left in it once it's been serviced properly.

At 130k miles, it's due a timing belt shortly. That will be at least €1,200 at an Audi dealer as it's almost an engine out job.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Barr wrote: »
    My Dad is thinking of buying the above . Its a 2.5TDI quattro tiptronic .

The vendor is looking for €20 k , 2002 year and it has 130 k miles with full known service history.

Has anyone any experience of these cars or whats the general consesus regarding realibity, value etc

Maybe someone could offer a better alternative .

Must have criteria

be 4wd (Dad a Builder)
    Diesel
    Auto
    €20 k circa

His presently driving 2002 Santa Fe Auto Diesel

Your opinions welcome

Reports of them blowing their air suspension bladders:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=24&

Also the 2.5tdi engine is a bit of a 'mare to change the timing belts on, there are defo two belts and maybe two tensioners. VAG tensioners are not the best. Also an old collegue of mine had that engine and the alternator mount casting broke off, as the alt is driven by the timing belt on these cars (wierd I know) this caused the belt to go slack - :eek: - new valves anyone.

Also why buy such a high mileage one? I'd look in the uk for one of these, they are meant to be good tho.

• Advertisement
Advertisement