Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DKIT 07/08 - How was it for you?

• 24-04-2008 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so the year is winding up now, I'm finishing up my 3rd year now, some people here have finished there 1st or 2nd year so I thought I'd Start a thread asking what people think of DKIT?

Whats do you think of the place in general? like it? or rather be somewhere else?

What annoys you about the place?

What was your highlight of the year?

and any other general comments welcome

Keep it clean, dont be slagging any lecturers or anything

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Boring and full of spa's really. Nice differently abled toilets though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I had a great year. Met a lot of really cool new friends.
    The one thing that annoyed me though is that our classes are all so far away from each other which is a bit of a pain.
    I'd change the approach that lecturers have towards teaching their class. Well some of my lecturers anyway. You can't really learn by just being handed sheets all the time.
    Other than that no real complaints well apart from a lot of sites in the library being blocked.

The dudes who sit in their cars in the carpark at lunch just revving their engines wreck my buzz. WHo are they trying to impress?

The food in the canteen is dreadful, the staff there are all really nice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

FX Meister wrote: »
    The food in the canteen is dreadful, the staff there are all really nice though.

I think it depends on what time you get food at and what you're getting. If you're getting hot food at around half three or so then it's not really gonna be that nice as it might have been earlier in the afternoon.
    It is nice though I think although I generally just get a sandwich or a roll from the deli counter.

• Advertisement

I get there about 1 and it's still not great. The deli counter has a poor selection. Salad bar is good. Except yesterday they were all out of chicken and she wouldnt let a guy take chicken from the deli counter as it would leave someone without chicken in their sandwich. So sanwiches before salads eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The dudes who sit in their cars in the carpark at lunch just revving their engines wreck my buzz. WHo are they trying to impress?

agreed, knobs looking for attention

agreed, its terrible, the old canteen was better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

heh good year all round really. only thing that wrecked my head was the IT guys not able to sort out my comp prob. im not to get onto any comp i want if it's free. some reason can't access google to look up stuff. am on placement now but it better be fixed by sept or there will be probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

The past several months have flown by, can't believe first year is over so soon.
    I loved the experience, the group I am in is fantastic and we all have a great laugh, I wish I had done this years ago.
    What p!$$ed me off the most was COD4 in S212, that really did my head in. We would have allocated study time in there and with pretty much all of first year gamers taking over, our class wouldn't have a chance to get any work done.
    The networking lab across from the coffee dock was a disgrace, cables not working, hubs/switches not working or not having a matching power cable, pc's that are so old restarting takes 15-20 minutes (not funny if you are in the middle of a 1 hour exam)
    The prices in the canteen are a joke, thank god for MACE lol.
    The lecturers were great and first year was one of the best experiences I have had.
    Looking forward to second year and even more youtube moments :D

The "gamers" playing in S212 are a joke, something seriously needs to be done about it, theres no point in threatening them with fines for playing games and then not following through with it.

If the problem persists next year I'll be goin to the head of the department about it, there the most annoying thing about the computer labs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

I really hate the gamers. It just seems to be the first years that take over S212, a couple of times we have told them to get out that we had a study hour and they just ignored us. We did complain to lecturers about it and they did what they could. You could wipe COD4 off every pc and they would have it back the next day.
    I have seen guys trying to work on assignments and they have had to give up because its like an arcade.
    Fines are a good idea but a lot of the gamers have laptops and will play on those, you can only fine the ones that actually use college computers.
    I would agree that going to the head is one way around it. If enough people knock on his door and complain he will eventually have to listen.
    Also having allocated study classes listed on the online timetable would help.
    I will not be as shy about complaining next semester.

jesus, some spa today in the library booking a diving holiday online and talking on the phone with her mate, was at it the whole half an hour I was there and when I came back at lunch still talking away. Jesus christ almighty

jesus, some spa today in the library booking a diving holiday online and talking on the phone with her mate, was at it the whole half an hour I was there and when I came back at lunch still talking away. Jesus christ almighty

you can go up to the front desk and complain and they'll be told to leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

draffodx wrote: »
    you can go up to the front desk and complain and they'll be told to leave
    Or even better, approach the culprit directly with your concerns. It usually embarrasses the student into ceasing whatever he/she was doing. There was a funny story in the library in my college, where some girl answered her phone by saying, "Hello, I'm in the library," and a guy turned to her and said, "So, shut the f*** up then." It caused quite a few giggles, and the fool ran away in a state of embarrassment. I had a recent experience of a rude and socially inept library student myself. Utter twats.

europerson wrote: »
    Or even better, approach the culprit directly with your concerns. It usually embarrasses the student into ceasing whatever he/she was doing. There was a funny story in the library in my college, where some girl answered her phone by saying, "Hello, I'm in the library," and a guy turned to her and said, "So, shut the f*** up then." It caused quite a few giggles, and the fool ran away in a state of embarrassment. I had a recent experience of a rude and socially inept library student myself. Utter twats.

I'd still say best to just complain that way there less likely to do it in future if they get a proper verbal warning than just off another student

::by the way I didn't edit your post i clicked edit instead of quote by mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Finishing third year and will be glad to see the back of the place.

I'm not sure what I'll miss most, the constantly crashing webmail server or the library computers which freeze if you click twice within the space of ten seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

looks like they are going to be replaced just as you leave!
    I think they believed that most people would have laptops and the need for PCS wouldnt be there but they were a bit previous.

Theres a huge pile of brand new PCs there now. A 2-3 years too late IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hmmm, maybe I will take the fourth year...

Advertisement