Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€250,000 win for punter

Options
  • 24-04-2008 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the details of the bet done by a punter in Tullys Bookmakers, Cork that won him €250K ?

It was mentioned on the radio Sunday as part of a review of papers (Sunday Daily Star I think).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Paddy Irishman

I think I found what you're looking for. It was a doctor who did a permutation bet involving a horse race and 2 golfers in a tournament in Hawaii, 2 golfers in a tournament in South Africa and 5 golfers in the US Masters. He gave an interview on the radio. You'll need Realplayer to hear it. The link is about half way down the page http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0418/news1pm.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Indeed it was a doctor. He only staked €30 and one of the golfers in SA came from 7 shots down on the last day and won it in a playoff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was listening to him on RTE last week, it was a complex bet. 1 in a million chance of coming off. The bastrad! :p

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

Was there a limit applied by Tully (i.e. €250k) and if so what was the true return that would have been due?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

THanks. I got the impression they paid out full amount. I would expect Tullys to have small maximum payout limit, but it possibly does not apply to multi bets. Maybe someone else can clarify?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Paddy Irishman

I just listened to the interview again. He doesn't name the horse that started the bet rolling but the 2 golfers that obliged were KJ Choi in Hawaii and Richard Sterne in South Africa, both of whom played in early January and Trevor Immelman won the Masters a few weeks back at an SP of 125/1! The bet actually cost €60. The man from Tullys sounded alright about it considering the circumstances. He said they'd be doing a Lotto style presentation with some local press.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

That's a lot of money to put on such a bet. He must be a top doc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

if it was 1mill to one, id say he's sick he put so much on it, considerin the max poss paout ofr the comapny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

semibluff wrote: »
    if it was 1mill to one, id say he's sick he put so much on it, considerin the max poss paout ofr the comapny

Yeah I'd say that's eating him up alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Max payout as per T&C are seldom adhered to.

The bookies liability in this bet would have been very small as the duration of the various bets easily allows the bet to be layed off at various stages, thus covering potential losses.

Large paying out bets like this are used for publicity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dsmythy wrote: »
    That's a lot of money to put on such a bet. He must be a top doc!
    The amount of money is relative,
    some people put €1 on accums, others put €20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

Bluetonic wrote: »

The bookies liability in this bet would have been very small as the duration of the various bets easily allows the bet to be layed off at various stages, thus covering potential losses.

Does this bookmaker still use the old system for taking bets? i.e the sports bets are put into manual. Considering the bet was placed some time ago it may have just been left to rot in the system with neither head office nor the staff copping on to it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Verbal_Kint

when its put into manual it doesnt flash a warning that a large potential payout is possible. small bookies could have been stung badly but a small bookies can make 4000/5000 a day. Still would have stung

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

The doctors bet came to pay out €248,000. Tully Bookmakers payout limit is €250,000. Just under but a hell of a nice win,well done to him.

Advertisement