Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Genesis Night BBC4

• 24-04-2008 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Straight from the bbc press office.
    RETURN OF GENESIS NIGHT
    Genesis – Come Rain Or Shine
    Friday 16 May
    9.00-10.00pm BBC FOUR

This intimate, behind-the-scenes documentary has extraordinary access to the musicians in the run-up to last year's European stadium tour. With the first show in Helsinki only eight months away, Tony, Phil and Mike get together in a rehearsal studio with the rest of the band to see if they can recapture the old magic.

With a £10m stage production and a huge, expectant fan base, the stakes are high. As the countdown begins, the preparations are dogged by technical problems and creative challenges, but there's a lot of merriment, too.

The camera follows the band through design meetings and rehearsals. Backstage and archive clips illustrate their reflections upon Genesis, past and present, their hopes and their frustrations. Phil, in particular, struggles to balance the demands of a musical career as a famous front man with his private life as a dedicated father.

The film is a fascinating insight into these professional, intelligent and likeable men whose lives combine the extraordinary and the everyday.

When In Rome
    Friday 16 May
    10.00-11.30pm BBC FOUR

After the re-formed Genesis found their 2007, 22-date European tour lashed by electric storms, the sun came out for the finale – a free concert open to 500,000 fans in Rome's ancient Circo Massimo. As darkness descends, it's a breathtaking spectacle, with a sweeping, curvaceous stage and huge graphics screens failing to dwarf the sound of a super-group reborn.

It's their first tour since splitting up, 15 years previously, and the fans are not to be disappointed. The band serves up plenty of old favourites, including Land Of Confusion, No Son Of Mine, Follow You, Follow Me, and the band's first charting single in 1973, I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe).

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Well theres 2 and a half hours of tv I'll be avoiding like the plague:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

I don't think this should be in the rock & metal forum, then again there isn't a forum entitled 'pure sh1t'- so I guess you were left with no choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ouch! I'm not thier biggest fan but harsh, very harsh.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

ZakAttak wrote: »
    I don't think this should be in the rock & metal forum, then again there isn't a forum entitled 'pure sh1t'- so I guess you were left with no choice.

Every comment I've seen by you so far has been of this ilk. Why don't you seriously get lost, you seem like a real Kevin the Teenager whingebag.

Den_M wrote: »
    Every comment I've seen by you so far has been of this ilk. Why don't you seriously get lost, you seem like a real Kevin the Teenager whingebag.

99.9% of all music is absolute bollocks. In fact 99.9% off all art is like this. Theres a little tiny bit of great stuff sitting on the top, it takes a while to find it but it is there. Think about all the albums, films, books etc. that have been published- how many of them are any good? very few, in fact the 00.1% might even be an overestimation.

There is so much music out there that its not necessary to waste your time listening to sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Thanks for the heads-up, Mike. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

99.9% of all music is absolute bollocks. In fact 99.9% off all art is like this. Theres a little tiny bit of great stuff sitting on the top, it takes a while to find it but it is there. Think about all the albums, films, books etc. that have been published- how many of them are any good? very few, in fact the 00.1% might even be an overestimation.

There is so much music out there that its not necessary to waste your time listening to sh1t.

It could be that only .1% of all music is good, or maybe that .1% is what you like, ie. your own preference?

He sounds like a stroppy 17 year old!

Mike.

Den_M wrote: »
    It could be that only .1% of all music is good, or maybe that .1% is what you like, ie. your own preference?

No, artistic talent- real artistic talent is extremely rare. Its as rare as other types of geniuses- how many mathematicians and nuclear physicists do you know? I doubt you know many, thats because intelligent brains such as this are a one in a million phenomenon.

This is funneh! Most of us do not know nuclear physicists cos they are a rare breed, a bit like B2 pilots or F1 drivers.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Best Genesis thread ever:pac::pac::pac:

mike65 wrote: »
    This is funneh! Most of us do not know nuclear physicists cos they are a rare breed, a bit like B2 pilots or F1 drivers.

Mike.

My point exactly. The one advantage music has is that it will be able to produce a few more geniuses because its a much less expensive enterprise than flying planes or F1. Still though, they're very rare.

Think of Johnny Cash- now think of all the Country and western singers there has been down through the years, he's clearly the best one, by a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

There's so many threads on here that you don't have to waste your time posting to ones about topics you don't like. :pac:

There's so many threads on here that you don't have to waste your time posting to ones about topics you don't like. :pac:

I love any topic that gives me the opportunity to have a go at Phil Fathead Collins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Wow how dissappointing , I thought interesting until I read the programme descriptions. I don't mind Genesis, in fact I quite like the early albums (Trespass, Foxtrot etc). But this is a wasted opportunity, unlike the great Who documentary last week which showed us all the facets of the Who through the ages this just seems to focus on modern genesis which lets face it is pure sh1te. at least with early genesis you could have a laugh at Peter Gabriel Dancing around in a flower costume.

By the way ZakAttak who do you recommend?

By the way ZakAttak who do you recommend?[/quote]

If its prog rock that you're after I'd have to say Emerson, Lake and Palmer. They've a very hit and miss catalogue but Tarkus and Brain Salad Surgery are pretty good.

If you want something even more far out I'd suggest 'In search of Space' by Hawkwind.

'Fanfare for the common man' (Em,L & K) is probably the best prog rock song ever written. (They play the intro to this song at the start of every game for some club in the Premiership, I keep forgetting to find out who).

But I belive that ever since the advent of Dance music and electronic artists (people like Van Gelis for example-he did the soundtrack for Blade Runner) prog rock now sounds a bit dated and jaded; sometimes it even begins to sound a bit like jazz- the ultimate sin, as Roddy Doyle once wrote; "Jazz is musical wank1ng". With technology and new musical inventions these artists were able to create works that were highly complex and sometimes very abstract- but it didn't cost a big heap of money and take 2 years to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

And heres me expecting some massive insight, well

Aaron Copland actually wrote Fanfare for a common man ELP just jazzed it up. And if this for you is the high watermark of Prog then I guess you need to listen to the other 99.9% a bit more.

Gong, Van der Graff Generator, Floyd, Soft Machine, Amon Duul, King Crimson, triumvarat, throbbing gristle, henry cow, Focus, Faust, third ear band etc have all released stuff thats streets ahead of ELP.

And whats wrong with Jazz, fvck what Roddy Doyle says on the subject, ELP are 'musical w@nking' in my opinion. Check out Miles Davis Sketches of Spain.

'Fanfare for the common man' (Em,L & K) is probably the best prog rock song ever written

This may come as news to Aaron Copland! :p

Tis a great version though.

Mike.

back in the real world, and on topic...........

for any of you who liked Genesis at some stage, this should be a good insight as to how they got together again, came up with a set-list, a new stage design, and ultimately played to 500,000 people in Rome last summer.

The set-list was, imho, the best since the Duke tour - a decent mix of songs from the 70's albums as well as the 80's hits.

damonjewel wrote: »
    And heres me expecting some massive insight, well

Aaron Copland actually wrote Fanfare for a common man ELP just jazzed it up. And if this for you is the high watermark of Prog then I guess you need to listen to the other 99.9% a bit more.

==>I knew someone else wrote it, but couldn't remember who- but I think they're version of it was very much an E.L.P. song.

Gong, Van der Graff Generator, Floyd, Soft Machine, Amon Duul, King Crimson, triumvarat, throbbing gristle, henry cow, Focus, Faust, third ear band etc have all released stuff thats streets ahead of ELP.

==> Pink Floyd are great, but I didn't want to get into some debate about what their best stuff is. I think Floyd are better than E.L.P. and lots of other prog rock bands- but I think E.L.P. defined the sound alot more, when you think of Prog rock you almost immediately have an image of some bloke in a crazy costume mashing away on a synthesiser. E.L.P. definitely had the best drummer though.

And whats wrong with Jazz, fvck what Roddy Doyle says on the subject, ELP are 'musical w@nking' in my opinion. Check out Miles Davis Sketches of Spain.

==>I like Miles Davis, I only know a bit of his stuff (and I'm gonna check out the album you mentioned)- To be fair, maybe I was a bit harsh on Jazz there (I own a Jazz box-set would you believe) but what I was trying to say was this; You can listen to a jazz musician (some of them anyway) doing a 20 minute solo 'cos they're good at it and have been doing it for years~ this wasn't always the case with prog rockers, mainly 'cos they always tried to make everything sound really big and dramatic (Jazz guys knew when and when not to do that- plus, they were better musicians).

But in the end, twiddling away on a saxofone may 'cos you to stroke your beard and take another sip on your nice glass of red- but it will never carry the impact and imagination involved in a very good rock album.

Modern bands (1960+) should stay away from jazz- they just don't have the feel for it.

• Advertisement

From the 1976 album Trick of the Tail

Los Endos, on last summers tour.

Er bump.

Mike.

Advertisement