Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to Oh my God

Options
  • 24-04-2008 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

anyone got any good alternatives to Oh my God , for Gods sake, Holy hour , Jesus Christ, for Christ sake etc etc

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

MooseJam wrote: »
    anyone got any good alternatives to Oh my God , for Gods sake, Holy hour , Jesus Christ, for Christ sake etc etc

Oh my dog, for dogs sake, by the gods, by thor, by zeus, jeebus's sake, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Oh my Gawd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Science H. Logic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

gee wizz=)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

My Cock in a breadbun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

My Cock in a breadbun.

My hotdog down a hallway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Heavens above! = Stratosphere above!
    For Christs sake = For pitys sake
    Oh my god = Oh my word

Keep it clean :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Zamboni wrote: »
    Keep it clean :-)

Pff, I usually just swap "God" for "Fuck".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Holy Dawkins

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Good question. But after x amount of years of using the above, it's automatic with me and I will probably need to be re-programmed at this stage.

I blame my parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

"By Bonaparts balls!" - Thanks to Ben Elton

"By Odin's beard!" - Thanks Marvel comics

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

"By Bonaparts balls!" - Thanks to Ben Elton

"By Odin's beard!" - Thanks Marvel comics

By the hoary hosts!!! by the eye of agamotto!!

Ah, I miss those crazy psycadelic 60's comics

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Oh your god?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Funny, was thinking about this a few weeks ago in relation to sci-fi.

What will people say in 1,000 years (when presumably modern day religions will be a distant memory)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

"After I shut the door and started back to the living room, he yelled something at me, but I couldn't exactly hear him. I'm pretty sure he yelled "Good luck!" at me. I hope not. I hope to hell not. I'd never yell "Good luck!" at anybody. It sounds terrible, when you think about it." The Catcher in the Rye

I have stopped wishing people “good luck”. Luck does not exist and claiming it does is irrational. People who are what we think of as lucky are just more observant and open to new things. So instead of "Good luck" you really are just wishing for them "Be observant and open to new experiences".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Wicknight wrote: »
    What will people say in 1,000 years (when presumably modern day religions will be a distant memory)

Well if the history of Christianity is anything to go by, it'll probably be "In the Name of Xenu" :D Plus the Crusades were about 1,000 years AD, so.......... should we expect a load of Tom Cruises riding flying around Europe killing heretics? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

i dont think we need to replace these sayings, as Kruschev said "We say the name of God, but that is only out of habit."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The young wan's nowaday's say it like this, ooh! MY God. As in long oh big pause follow by my god said fast and loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Holy Sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Frack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

i dont think we need to replace these sayings, as Kruschev said "We say the name of God, but that is only out of habit."
    This is a cool thread, after 30 years away from my Christian inheritance I still automatically say "Thank God" or "Oh my God". I guess I am doomed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

For "Thank God" I usually say "Thank the universe"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'll often say "Jeebus".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

cavedave wrote: »
    "After I shut the door and started back to the living room, he yelled something at me, but I couldn't exactly hear him. I'm pretty sure he yelled "Good luck!" at me. I hope not. I hope to hell not. I'd never yell "Good luck!" at anybody. It sounds terrible, when you think about it." The Catcher in the Rye

I have stopped wishing people “good luck”. Luck does not exist and claiming it does is irrational. People who are what we think of as lucky are just more observant and open to new things. So instead of "Good luck" you really are just wishing for them "Be observant and open to new experiences".

You should go to BINGO sometime. Luck exists there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I sometimes lapse in to Scots venacular: "Jings!" "Crivens!" "Help Ma Boab!"- but these are just polite versions of the J- and C-words, and "help me gawd". So I go South: "Bloody Hell!", and its little brother, "Bloomn' 'Eck!" :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

Personally, I have no problem saying "Oh my god", or "Thank god" ... or anything like that. They're just common everyday phrases even if I don't believe in god.

Just like I don't have a problem saying "Thursday" ... it gets it name from an ancient god Thor, and there are countless other examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Personally, I have no problem saying "Oh my god", or "Thank god" ... or anything like that. They're just common everyday phrases even if I don't believe in god.

Just like I don't have a problem saying "Thursday" ... it gets it name from an ancient god Thor, and there are countless other examples.

Yup...I agree. But it's fun to speculate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

We could stop saying "goodbye", which is short for "god be with ye". When you get down to it, though, I think any theist who picks a fight over the use of customary words and phrases really needs to get out more... say, Saudi Arabia. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Oh my Ford!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

cavedave wrote: »

Hmm, luck exists ex post but not ex ante. Highly improbable events have occured in the past which could be described as luck. But of course what probability we assign to luck is our decision.

Advertisement