Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

video censored in politics for no stated reason

Options
  • 24-04-2008 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi
    this video, which shows a protest for Lisbon Treaty referenda by MEPs in the eu parliament, has been banned from being posted or discussed in the politics forum, for no stated reason.

Can anyone tell me why?

for info, the question has been asked a number of times in this (now long winded and unwieldy meandering off topic) thread but not answered by any mods.

I've started this new thread to simplify matters and get away from the multiple other non related conversations going on in the original

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

That's 194 posts, that thread. What exactly has been said wrt no discussion of this video in the politics forum? Can you post links please?

It could be possible that you want to post this video and not discuss it by simply soapboxing, which is not allowed on politics. Has this been discussed on the thread? Do the mods think that you have done this or will do it?

Have you tried to post the video prior to today? If so when exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭jessop1

Gordon wrote: »
    That's 194 posts, that thread. What exactly has been said wrt no discussion of this video in the politics forum? Can you post links please?
    I originally posted the video and my comments in the lisbon treaty mega thread a couple of days ago. I wanted to start a new thread but mod oscarbravo had previously stipulated that all lisbon treaty conversations had to happen in the mega thread. Mod moriarty then advised that the video could not be discussed in the mega thread because it was not related to the lisbon treaty (baring in mind the video shows a protest for referenda on the treaty). confusing signals. Anyhoo, the posts you ask about were subsequently deleted from the politics forum so I cant post links.
    It could be possible that you want to post this video and not discuss it by simply soapboxing, which is not allowed on politics. Has this been discussed on the thread? Do the mods think that you have done this or will do it?
    This is the closest thing to a reason that has been given but it doesnt make sense to me that they would delete the posts, ban re-posting on the matter and then accuse me soap-boxing/not wanting to debate the matter. I've asked for evidence or reasons to believe I am soapboxing but none has been given.

Isnt the best way to determine if soapboxing is happening to let the conversation develop somewhat (ie further than the 4/5 posts it got to before being deleted) see what my arguments/opinions on the video are, if I am willing to engage in debate on the matter etc... thats the only way to determine if soapboxing is going on. How can I soapbox on a topic I am not allowed post?
    Have you tried to post the video prior to today? If so when exactly?
    Only as described above. I havent re-attempted to post it due to risk of ban

any help appreciated

thanks

jessop1 wrote: »
    I originally posted the video and my comments in the lisbon treaty mega thread a couple of days ago. I wanted to start a new thread but mod oscarbravo had previously stipulated that all lisbon treaty conversations had to happen in the mega thread. Mod moriarty then advised that the video could not be discussed in the mega thread because it was not related to the lisbon treaty (baring in mind the video shows a protest for referenda on the treaty). confusing signals. Anyhoo, the posts you ask about were subsequently deleted from the politics forum so I cant post links.
    That's an 805 post thread and you say that oscarbravo and Moriarty both told you something. When? Where?
    This is the closest thing to a reason that has been given but it doesnt make sense to me that they would delete the posts, ban re-posting on the matter and then accuse me soap-boxing/not wanting to debate the matter. I've asked for evidence or reasons to believe I am soapboxing but none has been given.

Isnt the best way to determine if soapboxing is happening to let the conversation develop somewhat (ie further than the 4/5 posts it got to before being deleted) see what my arguments/opinions on the video are, if I am willing to engage in debate on the matter etc... thats the only way to determine if soapboxing is going on. How can I soapbox on a topic I am not allowed post?
    I can't find the needle in that haystack, sorry.
    Only as described above. I havent re-attempted to post it due to risk of ban

any help appreciated

thanks
    When exactly?

That's an 805 post thread and you say that oscarbravo and Moriarty both told you something. When? Where?

I can't find the needle in that haystack, sorry.

When exactly?

Aye thats the problem with mega threads, too unwieldy, as you seem to agree.

I can go and find the exact posts to show exactly what was said and I will do that if needed. But I think it makes more sense to PM Oscar and Moriarty and ask them to state their current positions on this thread as soon as they can. If they refuse to post on this thread for some reason, I will dig out the links for you.

I will PM them and get back to you

Incidentally, I tried watching that video and it's really sore on my eyes. Half the text scrolls too fast while the camera jumps about and half of the text is really slow while the camera jumps about.

As far as I can tell - this is the european parliament and many people seem to be unhappy and start protesting. Is this correct?

• Advertisement

Only admins/smods and you can post here.
    jessop1 wrote: »
    Aye thats the problem with mega threads, too unwieldy, as you seem to agree.
    No I don't agree. It depends on what you want to do. In this case you need to back your statements up and you don't know when you made these statements. Which is better - large threads on a clear forum or a forum with many many threads of smaller chunks? Both ways have their advantages and disadvantages.
    I can go and find the exact posts to show exactly what was said and I will do that if needed. But I think it makes more sense to PM Oscar and Moriarty and ask them to state their current positions on this thread as soon as they can. If they refuse to post on this thread for some reason, I will dig out the links for you.

I will PM them and get back to you
    You don't need to do that. Instead you can clearly state a timeline giving me a detailed description of what exactly has happened.

Incidentally, I tried watching that video and it's really sore on my eyes. Half the text scrolls too fast while the camera jumps about and half of the text is really slow while the camera jumps about.

As far as I can tell - this is the european parliament and many people seem to be unhappy and start protesting. Is this correct?

Aye crap quality video from a phone I think. Yes you are correct. heres a report from an MEP who participated.

Hopefully we can discuss this matter further in the politics forum if this issue gets resolved.

Anyhoo, as it is getting late, I will post the links to oscar and moriarty's comments tomorrow

cheers

Advertisement