Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wild camping - Wicklow / Wexford

• 25-04-2008 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

does anyone know of any good wild camping spots in Wicklow / wexford or surrounding counties?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Kilmore Quay in Wexford seems to be quit popular, There's a couple of nice spots there overlooking the sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Not totally "wild", but the carpark at the upper lake in Glendalough (€4 charge) allows campers to stay overnight. You'll be locked in until morning so don't plan an early departure. On the plus side the night time barriers keep the boy racers away. Magnificent setting, picnic tables, I think even BBQ facilities. Toilet block will be locked overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Goldigga

Thanks Guys for your replies..... Keep em coming. Would be great to have a big database of spots for camping!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Goldigga wrote: »
    Would be great to have a big database of spots for camping!!

This is a contentious issue on many camping fora ...to publicise the "good spots" or not.

Oficially, according to act soandso (no time to dig it up at the moment) there is to be no roadside camping /overnight parking anywhere...something to do with giving the gardai the power to move on travellers.

So ...oficially ...wild camping is illegal.

Now we all know spots (some of them even very nice) where it is tolerated and no problem, as long as you behave yourself.

Publicising a list of good overnight spots has the potential to ruin them for everybody though. There's always a few people out there who don't know how to behave, who leave litter or other waste behind, who have open fires or loud parties, etc.

And all of a sudden, you will find those nice spots blocked off or decorated by one of those height restricting bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

There's a quiet spot in Rosslare village (not the port).
    Go into Rosslare Village - go left (North) and just keep going till it gets quiet and the road starts to look dodgy. It's between the golf course and an inlet of the sea - possibly a nature reserve though there are no signs saying you can park or anything. Spent a nice peaceful night there in Feb - nothing but sea and bird noises. Well at 1 am and at 3 am (on the way back) a courting couple thought it would be hilarious to "beep" going past but don't they always.......:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Goldigga

Thanks Dowtchaboy... I will keep that one in mind!!!

I can see your point peasant, but it seems like most of the posts in this forum come from reasonably sensible people........ All I know is that there must be loads of these spots around the country and I would to explore them as I dont rate a lot of the so called campsites around the country. Too expensive with sub standard Facilities!!!

Advertisement