Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Early Street Releases

• 25-04-2008 12:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭

With all the hype and possible confusion out there, I thought it might be worth starting a thread so that if anyone knows if a shop has broken the street date.

The most likely candidates f this will be the Supermarkets, particularly the 24hr ones.

So, has anyone got any info?

If I had a car, I would be upto Tesco Clarehall right now, seeing if I could fool some McJobber into selling me one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

With all the hype and possible confusion out there, I thought it might be worth starting a thread so that if anyone knows if a shop has broken the street date.

The most likely candidates f this will be the Supermarkets, particularly the 24hr ones.

So, has anyone got any info?

If I had a car, I would be upto Tesco Clarehall right now, seeing if I could fool some McJobber into selling me one.

Ring them now and ask if you can collect it in the morning. Then you will know if they can be fooled. I have a similar plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Just rang them there. Some aul biddy said i'd have to call during the day when someone from the electrical department is there, didn't seem to have a clue. Is this a good thing me thinks? If they have them in stock, theres probably a fair chance you could get someone like her to unknowingly sell you one.

Grrrrr if only I could go up and check.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Tesco are generally pretty strict on this type of thing. I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't actually put it through the till untill release date. Things like this are usually blocked by the software on the till until release date. I could be wrong though.

Tesco are generally pretty strict on this type of thing. I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't actually put it through the till untill release date. Things like this are usually blocked by the software on the till until release date. I could be wrong though.

I see.

We can live in hope though.

The lads over on AVforums seem to be saying that, the chap who runs shopto has said that if someone can email him pics of a street bought game and receipt, then he'll get on to R* and try and get the green light to release (seems like they have told him he can do so if he can provide proof of another retailer breaking the release date). Seems to be that once someone has broken it, all bets are off and early releases are fair game.

I want this fro the weekend so badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

You are right.No way it would scan and I'd say they are WELL locked away with all the hype about this game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

A while back Tesco had MGS for the PSP out a day early. Went to the checkout scaned it in and it did not register. Said it to the girl and she took it off me and said it was not suppose to be out yet. Had to come back the next day for it. So unless you know someone or have some elaborate plan to pretend to be from head office and say you have to do a fire drill so you can take one in the confusion(that sounds good actually:-) ), Dont hold your breath.

Not long left anywayz.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Gonna ask a friend who works in Tesco to try and sort me out tomorrow, i cant wait until Monday to get my CE from GameStop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Bros123 wrote: »
    You are right.No way it would scan and I'd say they are WELL locked away with all the hype about this game!

99% of games are on file before release, so they would scan, The only time it wouldn't scan would be due to human error in the head offices, we couldn't sell mario kart wii until Monday because of it. And besides, GTA hasn't even arrived yet, probably won't get there till Monday, anyway if you want to chance your arm that someone in your local tesco is thick enough to sell it to you, be my guest :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Will the larger stores have it out @ midnight Shane?

When Halo3 launched, my local store had lots of big master chief displays and "Coming 28th," etc.

When I rocked in at midnight, nothing on the shelfs, nothing in the Halo displays and the staff had no idea what I was on about as no one had told them anything!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

My friend in xtra vision had to sign a wavier that he wouldnt sell the game before release or he would loose his job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

My friend in xtra vision had to sign a wavier that he wouldnt sell the game before release or he would loose his job!

damn, thats strict. imagine the shame of losing your job at xtravision;)

*its "lose" by the way. sorry, couldn't stop myself:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

If anyone knows of a place selling the game early do tell!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Tescos in Athlone sold one of the Harry Potter books a few days before release a couple of years ago..... we can live in hope

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Frelance

Big Stores such as ASDA or TESCO's get Music and Video delivery's generally between 9am-2pm. Often loaded on cage's in sealed boxe's.

Delivery notes are contained within each box which list the contents of each box, These have to be given to the warehouse manager so the boxes are often open when brought out to the shop floor.
    An Asda Box containing GTA 4 is plain brown with Caution may weigh more then 5 kilo's printed on the top. It will also have a sticker listing that it contains new releases for 29th and Do not sell until this date.

They will probably be receiving large numbers of the game and often times these cages are left unattended. People grab stuff out of the cages all the time in the store where i work. if you do obtain a copy best plan is to bring it to an old/female checkout worker who wont know its not released yet.

as of yet, our store has not received a delivery..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

The lads over on AVforums seem to be saying that, the chap who runs shopto has said that if someone can email him pics of a street bought game and receipt, then he'll get on to R* and try and get the green light to release (seems like they have told him he can do so if he can provide proof of another retailer breaking the release date). Seems to be that once someone has broken it, all bets are off and early releases are fair game.

this is the case with all releases. if one retailer sells before another, in order to promote competition everyone else is able to sell it. it's called "breaking" the release date.

i worked in xtra-vision for the guts of 2 years, and the amount of times this happened was ridiculous... though with a major title like GTA, any retailer will be treading on eggshells with their stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

HMV in Belfast has it already. Tried to chance my arm but the guy phoned someone and they told him not to sell it. You can still preorder and they claim to have hundreds for launch day they just havent decided if they are opening midnight yet. I am gonna keep ringing asking so they do open for the launch.

Looking on various forums, it seems that Morrissons in the UK may have broken the release. I'm just praying that all panic ensues, and that the king of the Supermarkets, Tescos, is not prepared to stand by and get jumped by a rival retailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Frelance

Ok, if you live in the fermanagh region.

give me a pm ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ponchosucks

I see.

We can live in hope though.

I want this fro the weekend so badly.

Anyone wanna start faking up a receipt and game case in photoshop?

Some Sainsburys in the UK have supposedly broken it aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Anyone wanna start faking up a receipt and game case in photoshop?

Some Sainsburys in the UK have supposedly broken it aswell.

if two stores break it then two things may happen:

1. they pull the stock and stop selling it by order of take-two
    or
    2. everyone else breaks the release date too, screwing up midnight launches etc.

though even people looking forward to their midnight launch party stuff must be wishing for a break!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mcbingocaller

There's a few people on avforums have picked up a copy. If anyone knows of anyone in the north or or just over the border please let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

haha god the [anic that is insueing to get this game :)

hopefully when i stroll into work today we will have our delivery and ill get my copy :)

have an idea that will let me get the game and not have anything show on the system.

heres to hoping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

haha god the [anic that is insueing to get this game :)

hopefully when i stroll into work today we will have our delivery and ill get my copy :)

have an idea that will let me get the game and not have anything show on the system.

heres to hoping :)

where you work;) and will you do me an under the counter copy for €100?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Its on the shelves in Zavvi and HMV in Blanch but they wouldn't sell it do me. Doh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Frelance wrote: »
    Ok, if you live in the fermanagh region.

give me a pm ;)

Wow someone else from the Lakelands. Do you know if game are doing a midnight release in Skintown?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

To buy something off system from a mate one only has to put a full deposit on the game, take it home then on the official launch date the transaction is put through as a sale.
    Easy!

Had a long long stroll through town today and no joy :( Here's where I tried:

- HMV Grafton (Think they had copies, but didn't bother asking because the whole place was plastered with midnight launch and April 29th notices)
    - Golden Discs St. Stephens Green (Said its not on sale yet)
    - Tesco Jervis St. (Said they werent getting their delivery till the 29th :rolleyes:)
    - HMV Henry St. (Again, think they had copies, but said it was on sale on Tuesday)
    - Golden Discs Henry St. (Said it wasn't on sale yet)
    - Golden Discs Jervis (Ditto)
    - Dixons Jervis (Ditto)
    - Argos Jervis (System said its not availble yet)

I had a mosey in a few Game branches, Gamestops and Smyths to see if there was any activity (there wasn't) Wasn't even bothered asking in those places for fear of a mercin.

Looks like it will have to be Monday night, boo-urns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Had a long long stroll through town today and no joy :( Here's where I tried:

- HMV Grafton (Think they had copies, but didn't bother asking because the whole place was plastered with midnight launch and April 29th notices)
    - Golden Discs St. Stephens Green (Said its not on sale yet)
    - Tesco Jervis St. (Said they werent getting their delivery till the 29th :rolleyes:)
    - HMV Henry St. (Again, think they had copies, but said it was on sale on Tuesday)
    - Golden Discs Henry St. (Said it wasn't on sale yet)
    - Golden Discs Jervis (Ditto)
    - Dixons Jervis (Ditto)
    - Argos Jervis (System said its not availble yet)

I had a mosey in a few Game branches, Gamestops and Smyths to see if there was any activity (there wasn't) Wasn't even bothered asking in those places for fear of a mercin.

Looks like it will have to be Monday night, boo-urns.

Ok, so whats a mercin?
    I have it prebooked in smyths, so going to check it out tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

Work in Gamestop. We wont be selling it before the 29th. Told even if street date is broken by a rival that we are sticking to the 29th

• Advertisement

Work in Gamestop. We wont be selling it before the 29th. Told even if street date is broken by a rival that we are sticking to the 29th

Are they not letting you buy it early?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

They have the real xbox and ps3 cases out in zavvi but said it's not on sale till Tuesday. Teasing b@stards!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

29xcef5.jpg

hwcnk2.jpg

Asda in the UK are suppose to have sold a few.
    Duncan Cross of ASDA has released this statement:

This is an isolated incident, we had a clear message to stores not to sell early, and so any copies that have gone on sale are miniscule. We have no policy to sell before the street date, and we'll make sure this doesn't happen again.

Linky

Hmmm the reciept doesn't say GTA on it! Pics look convincing tho!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Popped into Smyths Bray there and no midnight opening, just morning of the 29th. Said they were getting in one hundred copies of each version, which sounds decent enough..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Quote from similar thread on AVforums.

Posted yesterday....
    The following is a transcript from a phone conversation I had with my girlfriend about an hour ago:

Me: Hi, did you have any joy at Sainsburys?
    GF: Yeah, I got it
    Me:..........Really? You got it?
    GF: Yeah, i have it here for you
    Me: Seriously? You're not winding me up?
    GF: Dave I've got it right here - Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare

Call ended

Women! For a second I thought she'd somehow done it! Instead she's got me a game I already have!

She's taking it back to another store where we live and gonna ask if she can change it for Grand Theft Auto 4.

Gotta love her though, she thought she'd done good.

Gotta good laugh out of it.:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hard to stay ones dagger if your missus did that.

I remember a little ****e in the old Virgin Megastore selling my better half a Sherlock Holmes adventure game for the 3DO assuring her it was awesome, little turd!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

ShaneU wrote: »
    Are they not letting you buy it early?

No Shane I wish, not allowed out of the store til tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

im surprised that it could get out anywhere. whenever a harry potter book comes out, theres paper work to be signed that state massive fines if its released early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dlane99

When street dates are broken its mostly just the day before in my experience.
    I wasnt expecting to get it days ago but am hoping that somewhere in cork will sell it today.
    Anyone else think some shops will start selling it today or am i just all hepped up on goofballs?

dlane99 wrote: »
    Anyone else think some shops will start selling it today or am i just all hepped up on goofballs?
    Erm...the second one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Normally I'd say you're right, it would go on sale today (san andreas and vice city both went on sale the day before). What might be different this time though is the amount of pre-orders and lack of free stock. From reading threads here it sounds like the major gaming chains at least won't have any unallocated stock to sell, it's all pre-ordered, so there's no benefit to them to break release date. And they'll want to keep their midnight launches intact, very little point having a midnight launch for a game that's been on sale for hours already ;). For the places most likely to have available stock, tesco or argos or places like that, gaming is a small part of their business so it's not worth them risking the fines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I might stop off in a Tescos on the way home from college to see if they have it, but I'm not going to go out of my way to try get it when most places will probably not be selling it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

theliam wrote: »
    im surprised that it could get out anywhere. whenever a harry potter book comes out, theres paper work to be signed that state massive fines if its released early.
    yeh but in fairness fans of that book are mad they'll sit out in line and dress up as a little boy magician despite them being in their forties.

GTA fans aren't as sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

This probably won't happen, but...

If I was in charge of when this game was sold in Tesco or some other such chain I would definitely be tempted to release it for sale today. As somebody else mentioned, most game shops seem to have all of their capacity of GTA tied up in pre-orders. So surely it makes sense for somebody like to Tesco to undercut them all (which they seem to be doing price wise anyway) and encourage all of the hardcore gamers into Tesco today. Even if it is only a small percentage of their sales, they would still be attracting all of those gamers into a Tesco where they might be tempted to buy other things.

And really how bad could the consequences be for Tesco? Its not like game companies can afford to boycott them.

Like I said it is unlikely to happen but it makes sense to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Cremo wrote: »
    yeh but in fairness fans of that book are mad they'll sit out in line and dress up as a little boy magician despite them being in their forties.

GTA fans aren't as sad.

Speak for yourself, I'm going to be in the queue tonight with a prostitue I've recently beaten to death with a baseball bat, an AK-47 and a stolen car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Cremo wrote: »

GTA fans aren't as sad.

if a sad 40 year old role plays a a little magician who care he can't hurt anyone

if we role play a cj nikko or any one blood lots of blood
    a cars theft more blood

it was quite obivously a joke, relax the cacks there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

What are the chances that the 24hour Tesco stores will have this out at midnight? I hesitate to make the comparison again but my GF went into our local Tesco the night the last Harry Potter was released and it was out at midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Varik wrote: »
    if a sad 40 year old role plays a a little magician who care he can't hurt anyone

He would most likely be a pedoa

What are the chances that the 24hour Tesco stores will have this out at midnight? I hesitate to make the comparison again but my GF went into our local Tesco the night the last Harry Potter was released and it was out at midnight.
    harry potter is a whole different kettle of fish though, it wasn't seen as nerdy as it probably should of been to queue for it or that there was such a demand for it.

i was banking on tesco bray having it out on the shelves but a recent visit showed me they don't stock any ps3 games at all.

i'm going to try dundrum tonight hopefully i'll pick one up there, wave to me if you see me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Tesco on the ennis road in Limerick has a full range of Ps3 games so im praying they have it at midnight tonight! If they dont i'll call in to them on the way to work tommorrow morning, but that days work will be the longest i've ever had in my life!! I dunno will the people at tesco understand this herd of 15-30 year olds(or what ever age you may be!) at 12 o'clock looking for a game!

• Advertisement
Advertisement