Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Care to reccommend some books?

Options
  • 25-04-2008 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hello.

Would anyone care to reccommend me some good books.

The Bob Katz is gonna be bought at some stage, but Im also interested in hopefully finding a good book on *beginners* music theory (covering things like chords, scales, song structure, basic composition ideas etc)

Also if anyone knows of a kind of all-round *intermediate* tips book on electronic dance/hip-hop production covering composition/sampling/effects/mixing techniques etc.

One love. :cool:

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

The dance music manual is good. It's by Rick Snoman and it is on Focal Press. I did a review on it, but the text is accessible by paid membership only on the site I reviewed it for, unfortunately.

Suffice to say- good sections on music theory, the gear, the effects, mixing mastering and distribution. A chapter each dissecting the main dance genres as well. And it manages to be a fun read - the tech stuff is mixed with anecdotes, asides and humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

i've found every book on electronic music to be hopelessly out of date.

Maybe i should write one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

jtsuited wrote: »
    i've found every book on electronic music to be hopelessly out of date.

Maybe i should write one!!

QFT. They're either hopelessly academic or they just deal with personalities/the industry rather than talking about music. Ever browse the "music" section of any bookshop and notice that few if any of the books are actually about music? I'd love to read books about theory/technique, or anything that makes a good dissection/analysis of interesting pieces of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

while there is a serious lack of books that are up to date or relevant when it comes to dance/electronic music production, there are quite a few decent Future Music 'in the studio with....' videos.

If you're looking for a good rhythm production tutorial check out this
    d ramirez in the studio
    (this is part 1. there are a few parts, you'll see them on the page).

If you're looking to see a more engineering perspective on production, check out the freemasons one. The Russel guy was the guy from Phats and Small (remember them) and is a real tech-head and knows what he's talking about. also a small section with their mastering engineer that's quite interesting.
    a bit all over the place but you should be able to find the relevant parts

And the Steve Angello one is ok for seeing how to start a track. And how to use reverb feeds for swells, fx, etc.
    steve angello

and the ian carey one is not great but worth a look just for how he layers kicks etc.
    ian carey

hope this helps anyone with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Cheers. I buy FM almost every month but missed that Steve Angelo one. Didnt know it was online. Ill have a look at that now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 blackbagtrack

Eric Taylor - The AB guide to music theory-part 1.
    This is essential for covering everything you need to know, theory wise.
    It's not too elementary, or too intense, but comprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Sounds great! Thanks a million. Ill check that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

S Angello & D.Ramirez FM Vid's are class.

I'm not particularly huge fan of their music - bit too commercial for me..but their techniques are great to watch.

D.Ramirez espcially. Its really interesting to see how he feeds a bassline as audio into "glitch/grain delay" devices in Reaktor - then chops up the results and uses them as fills.

You could do the same thing with Audio Damages Replicant or a Supertrigga..

+1 for the Dance Music Manual by Rick Snoman. GREAT book!

Advertisement