Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would it be doable... (xbox 360 mod)

Options
  • 25-04-2008 6:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭

to turn 2 xbox 360s into a single box with a customised case, 2 dvd drives (one modded one not), 2 fans, and sata power/data switches?

its something that just crossed my mind to attempt this evening, but just wanting to know if anyone can think of any reason straight off why it wouldnt be viable

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Having a quick think about i dont see why not.

Just a few points i can think of:

The case is going to need to be quite big and very weel cooled, the cpus and gpus of the diffrent consoles would certainly need to be kept as far as way as possible.

Its going to need the two power supplies plugged in, xboxs are power hungry and if you wanted the two of them on at the same time, even for a second you'd need the two

Without risking your console your going to need to use the two diffrent display ports.

Controllers, if there both on which one will it sync to?

Personal note: Too much hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

You can't share the motherboard between the joined 360s. Both DVDs and HDD are locked to the motherboard so it'll be basically 2 360s in one very large case with 2 different video outputs.

are you sure aobut the hard drives onagrite?

EDIT: actually now that i think about it more, your really only looking for two seperate DVD drives, one thats flashed and one that isnt.

###DISCLAIMER - i dont know for sure this will work

get a 360 then get a spare drive identical to the one thats in it (as in if your 360 has a BENQ, get a spare BENQ etc)

Use the original drives firmware dump to create a custom firmware. Then load that onto the spare drive

Then create some manner of switching between the two drives when the 360 is off

Cant see why it wouldnt work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Having a quick think about i dont see why not.

Just a few points i can think of:

The case is going to need to be quite big and very weel cooled, the cpus and gpus of the diffrent consoles would certainly need to be kept as far as way as possible.

Its going to need the two power supplies plugged in, xboxs are power hungry and if you wanted the two of them on at the same time, even for a second you'd need the two

Without risking your console your going to need to use the two diffrent display ports.

Controllers, if there both on which one will it sync to?

Personal note: Too much hassle!

you misunderstand

theres not going to be 2 working xboxes. theres going to be 1 xbox, and 1 empty xbox chassis with fan and dvd drive still there, the first xbox is the one thatll be doing all the processing and the other one wont have a gpu/mobo to heat things up, but it will have an additional fan to aid cooling of the first one

ongarite wrote: »
    You can't share the motherboard between the joined 360s. Both DVDs and HDD are locked to the motherboard so it'll be basically 2 360s in one very large case with 2 different video outputs.

again, youre missing the point

i dont want to share 2 xboxes

there will be 1 mobo, 1 hdd, 1 gpu

only 1 xbox will be plugged in, only 1 xbox will have anything to output as video. the second xbox is a chassis with a fan and a dvd drive connected to the first ones power supply, nothing else

• Advertisement

get a 360 then get a spare drive identical to the one thats in it (as in if your 360 has a BENQ, get a spare BENQ etc)

Use the original drives firmware dump to create a custom firmware. Then load that onto the spare drive

Then create some manner of switching between the two drives when the 360 is off

Cant see why it wouldnt work

thats precisely what im thinking

im sure there are some form of sata power/data cable switchers available somewhere on the great vastness of the web which would let me switch between drives when the box is off

sata cable is the only important thing i would think. The power cables could be literally doubled with any issue(again i would think!)

This guy has done something similar

I havent found a pre made one, and trust me i've searched.... im very bored at work!

EDIT: Your going to need a few of these! http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9858

Advertisement