Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightlife Limerick

Options
  • 25-04-2008 8:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Heading up for weekend soon any recomendations on pubs niteclubs cheap accomadation ha!!?!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Hi, try the Limerick City forum.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Moved to Limerick city.
    B

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

After my experience in Molly's last night I would advise anyone going out in Limerick to avoid it. The place used to be fantastic but it's really going downhill fast this year. They played the same 7 songs on a loop for two hours last night, crap like Britney Spears and Soulja Boy over and over again.

Charlie's (just off Cruises Street) is good craic, The Wicked Chicken in Baker's Place is very cool and Trinity Rooms is usually worth paying into, even if it does have its occasional off-nights too.

Expect recommendations for Nancy Blakes, The Icon, Cloghessy's, etc too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Costelloe's near the Wicked Chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

agree with costelloes.
    Depends if thats what your after tho. It wouldnt be your average niteclub!

start off with pints in the chicken, wander into bakers to catch some live music, then to costelloes to dance your socks off!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭moomoo2007

RINO87 wrote: »
    agree with costelloes.
    Depends if thats what your after tho. It wouldnt be your average niteclub!

start off with pints in the chicken, wander into bakers to catch some live music, then to costelloes to dance your socks off!

So how do you mean its not your average niteclub??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

moomoo2007 wrote: »
    So how do you mean its not your average niteclub??

It's smelly and dingy....it's mainly indie. I've been once and never returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

ninty9er wrote: »

Yeah its not for preening posers alright. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

I go to college Limerick, however myself and my friends had to stay down one weekend to do a course. Friends of ours from Dublin also came down (they stayed in the quality hotel)
    We were in Nancys, Flannerys and Icon. Great night in all.
    I hate Icon during college week, but it was excellent on the fri and sat night we were there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭moomoo2007

Dead on cheers guys for yer tips on where to go ye's will have to join us for few social beverages :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Yeah.. full of people who wear converse on a night out. There is no decent clubs in Limerick really. Trinity rooms and Icon best of a bad lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

yea there's not much of a choice in limerick which is a shame..i have high hopes for the market when it reopens hopefully that'll be a good place when it reopens cause it was just a disaster before like..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Harpy wrote: »
    yea there's not much of a choice in limerick which is a shame..i have high hopes for the market when it reopens hopefully that'll be a good place when it reopens cause it was just a disaster before like..

at least it'll be someplace the scum can go back to and stop clogging up the other clubs, was in Mojo last night, grand place during the week for a few quiet drinks but at the weekend forget it, if you're not wearing a baby blue striped jumper and white runners with a gold chain bearing a boxing glove/horseshoe/ak47 pendant its not gonna be your type of place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

Give me Costelloes over any other "nightclub" in Limk anyday. Fair enough, the decor isn't good, but the music and people are, no f**king posing twats up there in their BT attire. I would usually go to Costelloes, but recently went to the Sin Bin. A dump, an absolute f**king kip of a place, with plenty of people in there with notions about themselves (not all, but a fair few!). Trinity rooms, the same. "yeah, go to the trinity rooms etc etc other nightclubs to be "seen" and get your face in the limk post and pretend your a "socialite". Costelloes, to me anyways, has, and always had FAR better music. It has still stayed open while trendy places downtown close after a few years. It's always packed at the weekends, and it's only a 5€ in the door, and free in if you;re in early enough. 5€ is great value, and I'd rather go to "dingy" costelloes with the "dregs of society" than to a hole full of posers talking boll*x downtown, paying 15€ in...
    There are and have been many interesting and successful people going into Costelloes, who would be millionaires some of them, and they don't need to drink cocktails and **** around in a VIP area downtown for recognition or validation, just cos they don't "look" like something in Hello magazine, doesn't mean they are dirty or dingy people. Most of the people who give out about costelloes have never been there. They say stuff like "what, you can get in with trainers on?? ugggghhh" . So, at least you have well dressed scumbags in the nightclubs downtown. Keep them down there...

just my opinion like...

BarryCreed wrote: »
    Give me Costelloes over any other "nightclub" in Limk anyday. Fair enough, the decor isn't good, but the music and people are, no f**king posing twats up there in their BT attire. I would usually go to Costelloes, but recently went to the Sin Bin. A dump, an absolute f**king kip of a place, with plenty of people in there with notions about themselves (not all, but a fair few!). Trinity rooms, the same. "yeah, go to the trinity rooms etc etc other nightclubs to be "seen" and get your face in the limk post and pretend your a "socialite". Costelloes, to me anyways, has, and always had FAR better music. It has still stayed open while trendy places downtown close after a few years. It's always packed at the weekends, and it's only a 5€ in the door, and free in if you;re in early enough. 5€ is great value, and I'd rather go to "dingy" costelloes with the "dregs of society" than to a hole full of posers talking boll*x downtown, paying 15€ in...
    There are and have been many interesting and successful people going into Costelloes, who would be millionaires some of them, and they don't need to drink cocktails and **** around in a VIP area downtown for recognition or validation, just cos they don't "look" like something in Hello magazine, doesn't mean they are dirty or dingy people. Most of the people who give out about costelloes have never been there. They say stuff like "what, you can get in with trainers on?? ugggghhh" . So, at least you have well dressed scumbags in the nightclubs downtown. Keep them down there...

just my opinion like...

i agree with you but that being said there are more than a few twats who populate costellos, pretentious art college types and girls who think they're deep because their bebo pages are full of black and white photographs they took of benches and trees, plus they do play the same 20 or so songs EVERY weekend in mostly the same order, although id still rather pay a fiver to listen to rage against the machine than 15 quid to listen to whats played in trinity and icon

krudler wrote: »
    i agree with you but that being said there are more than a few twats who populate costellos, pretentious art college types and girls who think they're deep because their bebo pages are full of black and white photographs they took of benches and trees, plus they do play the same 20 or so songs EVERY weekend in mostly the same order, although id still rather pay a fiver to listen to rage against the machine than 15 quid to listen to whats played in trinity and icon

Yup, on second thoughts, I'd have to agree with you there on the arty farty types, but they would always be good for a pi*s take or two. Dunno, I think the music is pretty good. They could play Interpol followed by ac/dc you shook me all night long!! how bad!! the sticky carpet upstairs is good too.
    I'd rather a few arty pretentious heads than stuck with a crowd quaffing flutes of champagne looking down at you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

"Costelloes, to me anyways, has, and always had FAR better music."

Might be better but they play the same stuff all the time. You can predict what songs will be played up there and it is an awful dump. i get (literally) dragged there regualrly and hate giving them my money.They make a fortune there so a bit of paint wouldnt kill them. I've seen nicer squats.
    I suppose its whatever you're into but to me the places with any hint of half decent music are generally complete dives and the nice places have generally pretty awful music..

vkid wrote: »

Might be better but they play the same stuff all the time. You can predict what songs will be played up there and it is an awful dump. i get (literally) dragged there regualrly and hate giving them my money.They make a fortune there so a bit of paint wouldnt kill them. I've seen nicer squats.
    I suppose its whatever you're into but to me the places with any hint of half decent music are generally complete dives and the nice places have generally pretty awful music..

lol, true, im usually a bit oiled going in there, but i dont really care about the decor at all tbh. just some late beer, that wont cost you an arm and a leg to get in, and you dont feel "under dressed" in there...
    I like to look smart as much as the next bloke, just seems to be completely image orientated in the bigger clubs downtown. Now, thats just me, and i know lots of sound people who do go to the cheesey clubs, they're not for me though, or id have to be trolleyed drunk to go in, and when i do, i end up standing at the bar, cos the music is crap, so i figure, ill just go to costelloes, stand at the bar, and then tip away home...

true about the clubs and pubs down town , i got stopped going into Pier 1 of all places saturday night as i was wearing what the bouncer called "tackies" now its news to me that a €100 pair of suede kickers shoes are now known as tackies in this town, i asked him did he see Nike written down the side and looked at me as if i asked him the tenth digit of pi

does anyone else think that the smoking area of costellos looks like it should be somewhere where travellers fight each other for their families honour? whats with the no lights and cage?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

I remember getting pints of Bass in Costelloes for 1.50 back in the ol' college days! :D Must go back there again some night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

vkid wrote: »

Whats wrong with costelloes?Would you rather go to icon where all the women look like they belong in a ad for tango?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

krudler wrote: »
    true about the clubs and pubs down town , i got stopped going into Pier 1 of all places saturday night as i was wearing what the bouncer called "tackies" now its news to me that a €100 pair of suede kickers shoes are now known as tackies in this town, i asked him did he see Nike written down the side and looked at me as if i asked him the tenth digit of pi

does anyone else think that the smoking area of costellos looks like it should be somewhere where travellers fight each other for their families honour? whats with the no lights and cage?

The smoking area is clearly based on the Tunderdome in Mad Max two.

You're own fault for going to Pier One btw, just not a nice pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

jackncoke wrote: »
    Whats wrong with costelloes?Would you rather go to icon where all the women look like they belong in a ad for tango?

Reminds me of a letter published in the Irish Times on April 17th:
    Mná na hÉireann

Madam, - With respect, does anyone happen to know what Irish women looked like prior to fake tan and blonde hair-dye? I forget. - Yours, etc,

IAN DOYLE, Co Dublin.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Out of interest, has anybody here been to that new place off Mallow Street? Think it's called Vice, or something along those lines. I know two of my friends went there the night it opened but weren't able to judge it properly as it was so empty that night!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

An Fhile wrote: »
    Out of interest, has anybody here been to that new place off Mallow Street? Think it's called Vice, or something along those lines. I know two of my friends went there the night it opened but weren't able to judge it properly as it was so empty that night!

It's Rogue Traders by another name, overhead the Bank bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

does that mean the green room thing is finished??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Anonymossy

i'd definately agree with yer basics of a night. i like to wear shoes i'm comortable in when headin out. i've been to costelloe's, i like the place. i've been to the trinity rooms molly's and icon and my impression of it though is that the arty farty types in costelloes look at you just as funny as the BT mannequins further down the town. i do not wish to stereotype against either as i probably fall into some form of click myself but i have to disagree with ya on one thing. molly's is free, trinity rooms is €8 on friday, 10 on sat so 15 is unfair to say? granted icon is 10 and €12 but further down the town isn't all that bad. you say limerick needs a new bar? limerick has a great nightlife, it's just no1 makes use of it cos they're all drinkin at home! there's no1 in pubs anymore! at least drinking in a pub is a bit social and at least if anything goes wrong there's some1 nearby to help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I'd rather pay 10 euro into Trinity rooms than go to Costelloes. I mean jesus christ, from the money they make out of the place, could they not do it up a bit? The toilets are the most disgusting experience ever, the music is repeated every weekend (and its not that great to begin with) and to be honest, I've encountered more dickheads in there than any time I've been in trinity or Icon. I don't know what it is, but it always seems to be filled with prententious twats. Granted you can safely say the same about trinity or icon or any other club but its truly a different type of twat that frequents costelloes.

Personally, I still prefer a good house party to any nightclub or pub in Limerick. Costs less, better laugh than any pub and no waiting hours for a taxi at the end of the night!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Gambra

Costellos is an absolute hovel of a "club" (seriously if thats yer standard of a club, you guys are missing out on something) and the DJ plays the same mix CDr over and over again. However it is the better option to Trinity Rooms or whatever. The Underground in Baker Place is a absolute savage place to go but since they stopped letting us use it for gigs and only for electronic acts starting at 11pm no one knows about, it's being criminally underused. There's not enough places for live music in this city by far. And don't say Dolan's as that's not what I mean at all. I mean the kind of music venue (NOT bar with a stage but a proper venue) where you can see some random metal/punk/indie band

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

DarkJager wrote: »
    I'd rather pay 10 euro into Trinity rooms than go to Costelloes. I mean jesus christ, from the money they make out of the place, could they not do it up a bit?

I'm a pretty easy going person when it comes to where I go for a night out. I've had good nights in both places mainly due to the company rather than the venue itself. Although I can't really remember the last night I was in Costelloes....over indulgence is a terrible thing. Granted it's been many months since I've been down in Limerick and things may have changed since then. Costelloes could probably do with a clean up alright but then again it's dinginess may be part of the attraction for some people.
    DarkJager wrote: »
    I've encountered more dickheads in there than any time I've been in trinity or Icon. I don't know what it is, but it always seems to be filled with prententious twats. Granted you can safely say the same about trinity or icon or any other club but its truly a different type of twat that frequents costelloes.

I must be lucky in that I rarely encounter dick heads, granted you could encounter them anywhere. I think one of the few times I encountered a gob****e was when I was in Trinity Rooms and some fella thought I was after his bird because she asked me for a lighter and I obliged....the mind boggles at time :/

Advertisement