Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightlife Limerick

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Gambra wrote: »
    Costellos is an absolute hovel of a "club" (seriously if thats yer standard of a club, you guys are missing out on something) and the DJ plays the same mix CDr over and over again. However it is the better option to Trinity Rooms or whatever. The Underground in Baker Place is a absolute savage place to go but since they stopped letting us use it for gigs and only for electronic acts starting at 11pm no one knows about, it's being criminally underused. There's not enough places for live music in this city by far. And don't say Dolan's as that's not what I mean at all. I mean the kind of music venue (NOT bar with a stage but a proper venue) where you can see some random metal/punk/indie band

No offence but calling Costelloes a hovel and Bakers an absolute savage place to go is ridiculous. Both are as big as hovels as each other...Bakers is a dirty hole imo (the music is good sometimes)
    Trinity Rooms is a very very nice place but awful music. A couple of decent acts every now and again wont change that...the music is pants every other night. It would be nice if this Angels place got the balance between good music and a nice place right.. i wont hold my breath tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Gambra

vkid wrote: »
    No offence but calling Costelloes a hovel and Bakers an absolute savage place to go is ridiculous. Both are as big as hovels as each other...Bakers is a dirty hole imo (the music is good sometimes)

I suppose I shouldn't have said savage but Bakers is actually spending a bit of money into keeping the place clean/doing it up where as Costellos hasn't been done up or cleaned since 1986.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

vkid wrote: »
    Trinity Rooms is a very very nice place but awful music. A couple of decent acts every now and again wont change that...the music is pants every other night. It would be nice if this Angels place got the balance between good music and a nice place right.. i wont hold my breath tho

What type of music would you like to hear out in a club?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

Gambra wrote: »
    I suppose I shouldn't have said savage but Bakers is actually spending a bit of money into keeping the place clean/doing it up where as Costellos hasn't been done up or cleaned since 1986.

agreed, but whats dirty about bakers. the whole complex (chicken, underground bakers) is pretty cool. a bit of graffiti on the jacks but thats it..

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Trinity Rooms is a very very nice place but awful music.

The odd thing about music in clubs is that the DJs tend to play what gets the dance floor filled. Thats their job. Now the thing about this is that its the girlies that head to the dance floor first while the lads get tanked. The girlies tend to go for chart music more than the lads and so the music in clubs for the most of the night tends to be sh1te.
    Now if they started to play some of what you would call ''daycent chunes', the floor would be emptied in seconds, because the girlies aren't into it and the lads are getting the beers in. However when a named DJ pops up in a club, the crowd will dance to anything 'daycent' because the audience expects to hear something different.
    A good DJ, will read the audience and play to the common denominator, while dropping in some 'daycent' ones to test the water so to speak. Large nightclubs are a business and their objective is to attract a percentage of the customer base. If the customer base is big enough then the club can attract a sufficient number of people who are into a particular form of music and cater for them. If the customer base isn't big enough, then the club has to go mainstream. So basically the music in a club is about demographics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

What type of music would you like to hear out in a club?

Put it this way..if someone played like Mr Scruff did a few weeks ago in a nice place i'd be there. Nothing very heavy, nothing cheesy or that I hear on the radio every day and he had the crowd loving it. Was a great mix of loads of stuff that I never heard before. I know its impossible please everyone but he made a great job of it

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Xennon wrote: »
    The odd thing about music in clubs is that the DJs tend to play what gets the dance floor filled. Thats their job. Now the thing about this is that its the girlies that head to the dance floor first while the lads get tanked. The girlies tend to go for chart music more than the lads and so the music in clubs for the most of the night tends to be sh1te.
    Now if they started to play some of what you would call ''daycent chunes', the floor would be emptied in seconds, because the girlies aren't into it and the lads are getting the beers in. However when a named DJ pops up in a club, the crowd will dance to anything 'daycent' because the audience expects to hear something different.
    A good DJ, will read the audience and play to the common denominator, while dropping in some 'daycent' ones to test the water so to speak. Large nightclubs are a business and their objective is to attract a percentage of the customer base. If the customer base is big enough then the club can attract a sufficient number of people who are into a particular form of music and cater for them. If the customer base isn't big enough, then the club has to go mainstream. So basically the music in a club is about demographics.

Well said,

I have some friends who play in Trinity so I may be a little biased as I know how much they love their music but no way would I go and say the music is awfull in there plus one of its managers was responsible for bringing international djs to Limerick back in the day when it was a crime to listen to house and techno in a club so he has his finger on the pulse but Limerick isn`t big enough to have a Cream or Ministry of Sound so you get a bit of choice in there.

It caters for a mixed crowd while not going all out like the ICON etc.
    Constant chart but thats their thing so fair play, I know people who love both places.

Horses for courses.....

Advertisement