Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax

• 25-04-2008 8:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

Due to the recent activities by the Revenue to get everyone paying their taxes and celebrity Wesley Snipes being sentenced to 3yrs for tax evasion what are your thoughts?
    I for one have been thinking; children should be taught more on how to file their taxes. I still don’t know much about the whole tax system and I am not really bothered but the Revenue is sending out a message and are we listening?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Why do you have the text set to black? Not all of us are using a white background

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Why do you have the text set to black? Not all of us are using a white background
    Amen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

this is being discussed in a few places

Aaron Russo raised some interesting points about this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/31/mo...=2&oref=slogin
    this is sort of a rebuttal, but it still dosent answer the questions, more sticks to the position of the other guy in the clip,

'you have to pay your taxes'
    'Why?'
    'Because you do!'
    'why?'
    'Because we say so!'
    'Why -ad nauseum....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Basic tax maths should be done is secondry school.
    But if you own a business you will probably employ someone to handle it for you.

By the way.... you post makes the cloud skin cry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Only the little people pay taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Dwarf tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Hello Original Poster. i believe the opinions you hold and have expressed in this thread would not go down too well with certain members of Fianna Fail. You see the party has a history of its members being tax dodgers. in fact several of their number have been prosecuted for tax evasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Hey OP if you happen to be a member of Fianna Fail i'd keep quite with these kind of opinions!
    Quite what?

Amended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

How did a sh*t "actor" like Snipes have so much money?:confused:

• Advertisement

Demolition Man was ahead of its time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Yeah and drop zone :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Yes, I feel the same way about Blade.

*Ahead of it's time in that, the time when DVDs and videos and cinema reels of sh*t films are thrown on bonfires, hasn't arrived yet...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Well it correctly predicted arnold going into politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Mr.S wrote: »
    It is.

It was taught in primary school in the 80s. As we don't need to file tax returns as a general employee I don't see the problem. Only people who aren't employees need file returns.

People seem to often confuse what they see on American TV shows as applying here.

A lot of people who pay no tax in this country are also generally contributing vast amounts of money that generate further revenue. The average Joe doesn't know/understand this and sees it as unfair.

In basic terms if I invest €500K in a company that employs people who pay tax and company pays tax I may increase my tax free allowance by my investment amount. If I earn €500k I pay no tax.

Now if the laws were changed so I couldn't write off investment and pay tax on my income why would I invest my money in this country? Ultimately the government would lose money and employment

Tax exiles are a little unfair IMHO but if somebody isn't a resident here I don't see how they can be charged tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The average employee knows nothing about their taxes until they get a P60/P35.

The Wealthy get others to do it for them, so P35 and P30 tax assessment means little to them. There is assistance out there for small business owners who need to know this stuff.

It's not all that complicated anyway.

Advertisement