Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary School Teaching Courses

• 25-04-2008 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi,

Im thinking of getting into primary school teaching (I must go back as a mature student and do higher level Irish first though - but I think I can do that in College of Commerce as an evening course), and I was wondering if anyone knows if a promary school teaching course can be done in Cork? I know UCC do the Hdip, but thats for secondary school teaching.

Iv already got a Bachelor of Businnes Studies Degree, but Iv always regretting not getting into teaching.

Any ideas, or advice?:confused:

Thanks
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Hibernia????

It's an online college.
    Google it.
    It's v popular & is what I'm hoping to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭valz_walsh

Thanks

Iv heard about them alright. I might look into them properally.

Is it true that you can be a subsitute teacher without a qualification, so you could work in a school and study at the same time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Only seeing this now.
    Yes, that's true & it's what a lot of people do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 celticvampire

I have been looking into this for a few months now. Hibernian college run the online course but you need to attend the interview which is conducted half Irish, half English. Entry to the October course is full but they are taking applications for the Feb 09 course. I'm just wondering is a BA in English Language & Literature from the Open university UK considered as a primary degree? What are the exact steps to getting a primary teacher qualification i.e BA, Master, PHd etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

I have been looking into this for a few months now. Hibernian college run the online course but you need to attend the interview which is conducted half Irish, half English. Entry to the October course is full but they are taking applications for the Feb 09 course. I'm just wondering is a BA in English Language & Literature from the Open university UK considered as a primary degree? What are the exact steps to getting a primary teacher qualification i.e BA, Master, PHd etc...

You'd have to contact the Open University and ask them if your degree is Level 8. If it is, it is considered a suitable primary degree. Then you are eligible to apply for the postgrad (H.Dip) primary teaching course, as long as you have the honour in Irish from the leaving cert or an equivalent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement