Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surly Steamroller Complete Bike or a Langster

Options
  • 25-04-2008 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Im looking to get my first fixie, i know theres a million and one 'help me decide threads' but please help me decide. Should i get a Surly Steamroller Complete Bike or a langster. Im leaning towards the surly. And please tell me if theres any other bike that im missing out on, ive about 800 quid max to spend. Ive seen the langster for 600, and i reckon i can get it for about 550, is the surly worth the extra?

Thanks

Andrew

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭dmigsy

I've been checking out the options for a fixed gear too. Leaning towards getting a pearson touche . All the reviews I've seen have been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Its lovely in the charcoal with the courior hande bar option. Very Very nice. Im going to give myself a week or so to decide but this is lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Steamroller absolutely 100% no questions asked wham bam thank you ma'am!

Oh the joys of getting a new bike, my klien pulse pro has lasted me nearly ten years, i hope its gonna enjoy its new buddy. Its decision time though, i have a cheuqe in the bank and once that goes through it bike time. Quick question though, not sure on the size, im 5ft 11'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Have a read of the Cycling Plus article on the Pearson site - lots of detail on the steamroller:
    http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/images/CYP188.bs_bike1.pdf
    It'll come down to what you want from the bike in the end.

• Advertisement

great link, cheers mate

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I don't have either myself (or even a fixie at all) but for me it would be no question the Surly; although I would prefer the brake setup on the Langster. If you know anyone that has bought a lot of stuff from Wiggle recently they can get you 10% off the Surly BTW (bringing it down to £539.99.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

I ride an 07 Langster, and while it is a thing of joy and I love it, I would pick the surly if I had to choose between the two. The Touche looks nice too, though very similar to the Langster. Little to choose between them and a Kona paddywagon, but I think the surly clinches it for classical styling.

Every time I post on a thread like this I realise that what I really want is a bike shed with room for a fleet of at least six bikes. Three fixies (Langster, Surly and Pista), A specialized tri-cross, some kind of ultegra geared carbon roadie and a classic dutch bike.

A boy can dream can't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

unionman wrote: »
    Every time I post on a thread like this I realise that what I really want is a bike shed with room for a fleet of at least six bikes. Three fixies (Langster, Surly and Pista), A specialized tri-cross, some kind of ultegra geared carbon roadie and a classic dutch bike.
    You forgot the beater hybrid you can actually cycle into the city without fearing it's going to be nicked ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

As cool as the Surly looks, I don't see why you would pay 800 euro for a steel framed fixie, when a DIY conversion would surely end up cheaper and more unique. Just my opinion, I know not everyone has the time or inclination.

With the other options, going for factory-built appears to have more obvious benefits.

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    You forgot the beater hybrid you can actually cycle into the city without fearing it's going to be nicked ;-)

I think the dutch has that covered;) Anyway, divorce lawyers are expensive too if you get my drift!

I just ordered the steamroller, i cat wait for it to arrive. Hopefully ill have it before the weekend. Just got to figure out what peddels to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

As cool as the Surly looks, I don't see why you would pay 800 euro for a steel framed fixie, when a DIY conversion would surely end up cheaper and more unique. Just my opinion, I know not everyone has the time or inclination.

With the other options, going for factory-built appears to have more obvious benefits.

Frames suitable for single-speed conversion are getting pretty expensive on ebay. Unless you have one lying around at home, chances are that once you get everything you need, you won't end up too far off the 800 euro that Sulry want for the Steamroller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

penexpers wrote: »
    Frames suitable for single-speed conversion are getting pretty expensive on ebay.

I dont think its that bad, unless you're buying something really top of the range. Depends what you're after I guess. My self-build doesnt really look all that hot, but it runs like a dream, and I feel comfortable enough at this stage with locking it up in town.

If you put in a bit of time and dont get irritated with losing auctions, you can pick one up for around €50 (I got two frames this way) maybe a bit more with P+P from the UK, and it'll usually either have some bits left in it too like a headset or a bottom bracket, which do cost 15-20 euro if you're buying them new...

Here's some:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/E-G-BATES-531-FRAMESET_W0QQitemZ140227454789QQihZ004QQcategoryZ56197QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Large-70s-80s-F-W-Evans-frame-Fixed-single-speed-531_W0QQitemZ190217398073QQihZ009QQcategoryZ22679QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/B-S-A-tour-de-france-21-special-edition-cycle-frame_W0QQitemZ300220268839QQihZ020QQcategoryZ22679QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENTS-ARMSTRONG-FRAME-1960S-531-TUBING-EXC-ORIG-COND_W0QQitemZ220228681456QQihZ012QQcategoryZ56197QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hmmm, I like a couple of them actually. Maybe I shouldnt be posting up about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

flickerx wrote: »
    I dont think its that bad, unless you're buying something really top of the range. Depends what you're after I guess. My self-build doesnt really look all that hot, but it runs like a dream, and I feel comfortable enough at this stage with locking it up in town.

I didn't see you cycling in to town this morning on the n4 did I?... can't be many fixies around now :D

Some nice ones there, I particularly like the Armstrong, love that racing green. Shame I'm too short.

I still have that lever seal for you flickerx.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I reckon if I was to ever buy a new - complete fixie, no doubt, it'd be the Bianchi Pista, the chrome plated one!

Proper fixie! Either that or the Surly, both lovely!

http://www.bianchiusa.com/06_pista.html (insert drool emoticon here..)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Just me or are there more and more fixies around town. I see one on nearly every bike rack now... Several floating around in DCU.

Yeah they're gaining in popularity alright! No bad thing really, soon the bike shops will realise that there is this untapped niche marked and start having some decent fixed/singlespeed stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

You have a pm fish-head

• Advertisement

Ooops! Sorry for the delay man.

Well the bike finally arrived. I went for the steamroller, and man, its amazing. Started of fine, managed to even stick on my spd's today. I have been all over the place on it. I have to say, im suprised at how easy it is, and how fast i can go on it. Even hills are easier on it. I am in love

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

Stick up a pic or two man, lovely bike, what gearing have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Daveskig

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Im looking to get my first fixie, i know theres a million and one 'help me decide threads' but please help me decide. Should i get a Surly Steamroller Complete Bike or a langster. Im leaning towards the surly. And please tell me if theres any other bike that im missing out on, ive about 800 quid max to spend. Ive seen the langster for 600, and i reckon i can get it for about 550, is the surly worth the extra?

Thanks

Andrew
    I couldn't tell you of Surly or Langster is better. But there is a Langster 07, 56cm on Sale at £319..... http://www.shorter-rochford.co.uk/08/docs/offers08.shtml#9. They'll post to Ireland. I would snap it up myself but the size is wrong for me.

Advertisement