Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steps to selling own music ourselves -

Options
  • 25-04-2008 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Hi -
    So, am looking for any ideas/ helpful info on selling own music ourselves.
    Naturally after the music is finished, Mastered. But i'm looking for advice on covering all areas.

1)record the music
    2)get mastered properly
    3)get x amount of copies (or do them up ourselves which is possible)
    4) copyright everything

so after that im not 100%
    5) register with imro?

any help will be much appreciated -

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

Check out these guys as well: http://www.ppiltd.com/index2.htm
    5) register with imro?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

thanks guys - apreciate that ... any further ideas please let me know! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

http://www.inzu.net/web/index.html - lets you sell digital media easily and cost effectively

screw the imro - release your music under the creative commons licence

maintain an email list of everyone who turns up to your gigs - give them promotional codes and access to your music in advance of release / special live recordings etc etc - give them enough stuff to make them really want to stay in touch with you and in return notify them when you have new material to sell - use your fanbase as a publicity tool - a "street team" - give them half price admission to your gigs if they turn up with five paying punters for example, stuff like that

use myspace / bebo / virb.com / soundclick etc - anything at all to get your stuff heard

labels are a thing of the past, to hell with middle men trying to take a slice of your cheese - do it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

Dunno that Id necessarily agree with some of the comments above.
    I wouldnt dismiss Imro or a decent record label out of hand without investigating what they have to say.
    Personally if I got a decent offer from a respected label Id bite the hands off the *****! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

http://www.inzu.net/web/index.html - lets you sell digital media easily and cost effectively

screw the imro - release your music under the creative commons licence

maintain an email list of everyone who turns up to your gigs - give them promotional codes and access to your music in advance of release / special live recordings etc etc - give them enough stuff to make them really want to stay in touch with you and in return notify them when you have new material to sell - use your fanbase as a publicity tool - a "street team" - give them half price admission to your gigs if they turn up with five paying punters for example, stuff like that

use myspace / bebo / virb.com / soundclick etc - anything at all to get your stuff heard

labels are a thing of the past, to hell with middle men trying to take a slice of your cheese - do it yourself.

Thanks for that - well i plan on doing this myself, well between ourselves - i guess i just want to cover all steps when we have an EP toghether, and its coming on nicely..
    Appreciate the words...
    Guess im looking for as much info with this one as possible. Not too bothered about labels, propbably set one up ourselves so we are totallty in charge and go that way.
    Any more ideas please shout... thank you all very much,

Advertisement