Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reversing into a parking space

Options
  • 25-04-2008 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Do you think it would be more beneficial (in real life driving terms) to reverse into a park space as a compulsory thing to do for the driving test. I see it as a more common Manouver in everyday driving than reversing around a corner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Do you think it would be more beneficial (in real life driving terms) to reverse into a park space as a compulsory thing to do for the driving test. I see it as a more common Manouver in everyday driving than reversing around a corner.

I was asked to do this on the ignition course but never on the test, but yes I suppose it would be good think to have in the test. but saying that if you can reverse around a corner competently then I think this would show that you can reverse into a space.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

slightly off topic (or maybe completely!) i always find it hilarious in a super market carpark, someone returning to there car with a big trolley of shopping finding they cant get to the boot because they've reveresed in to much. In reality there isn't really much benifit in reversing into a space really besides being able to drive off 10secs quicker. Also, if someone parks normally next to you theres a good chance their passenger door can give your wing mirror a knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I'd put parallel parking as a more important skill to test than either of the two, to be honest.

Having said that, all three are on the Swiss test, as well as driving nose-in to a parking space and reversing out.

[/quote]In reality there isn't really much benifit in reversing into a space really besides being able to drive off 10secs quicker[/quote]
    Depending on the space, it can be impossible to do one but not the other....or it can be far easier to be able to do one instead of the other....what with the turning wheels being either at the "front" or the "back" relative to the spot. Not only that, but in most cars, you sit closer to the front than to the back. This can mean that your visibility is better driving out facing forwards.
    Also, if someone parks normally next to you
    Interesting that you define "nose in" as "normal".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

bonkey wrote: »
    I'd put parallel parking as a more important skill to test than either of the two, to be honest.

+1, if you can figure out your road postioning, you should have no problem reversing into a parking space. Parallel parking on the other hand, is inherently more difficult.
    In reality there isn't really much benifit in reversing into a space really besides being able to drive off 10secs quicker.

I have to disagree, if you're in a packed car park, with people are walking around with no regard for drivers, i always find it's easier to reverse into a spot and drive straight out than visa versa. And generally when parking conditions aren't great, ie a driveway with poor visibility, reversing in and driving straight out would be the safest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

[/quote]Interesting that you define "nose in" as "normal".[/QUOTE]

okay its not that interesting really, but i'll change it 'standard' or 'taditional' or any other suggestions.

i agree in sometimes it might be neccesary to park one way or the other, but not often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Well put it this way, its illegal to revers onto a main road but not to revers off a main road into a parking space so there is reason to revers into a parking space. Its always much safer to reverse in if you can. You can see traffice coming easier when reverseing onto a parking space then when reversing out since you are parralel with the road rather then perpindicular especially if there are cars parked either side of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

If your test centre has bay parking, you should reverse into the space before your test, then drive back in forwards when you return. The idea is to keep the moves as simple as possible while the tester is riding with you. Unless the tester instructs you otherwise, of course, but I've never heard of that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

its illegal to revers onto a main road but not to revers off a main road into a parking space
    The strange thing about that is that, in some streets with perpendicular parking, the spaces are angled to drive forward into. Reversing into them is more difficult.

The west side of the Main Street in Swords is an example of this.

Advertisement