Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

driving abroad on provisional license

Options
  • 25-04-2008 10:48am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

can anyone tell me if i can drive in wales on an irish provisional? iv checked and im insured with hibernian to do it but will my license cover me? (its possible i may have my full license by the time i need to go abroad in july but just wanna be sure

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

splinter wrote: »
    can anyone tell me if i can drive in wales on an irish provisional? iv checked and im insured with hibernian to do it but will my license cover me? (its possible i may have my full license by the time i need to go abroad in july but just wanna be sure

thanks
    Absolutely not.
    Do so, get caught and you could face having your car seized on the spot. According to paper similar happened to Robbie Keane recently caught driving on expired licence, car siezed, Robbie left calling for lift.

A provisional licence is not considered a real licence in any sense of the word, simply a permit to learn and that is strictly enforced and generally adhered to in the UK. A foreign issued permit has no validity in another EU country.

Most rental companies wont hire a car to you until you have a licence for a few years (usually 3) or are over 24 or some to over 21.

I am not aware of any country that will accept a learner permit as a valid licence to drive in their country. I am surprised your insurance company didnt tell you this, their information leaves a lot to be desired.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

thanks for the replies folks :) but fingers crossed ill have my full licence by then. im also over 24 so rental shouldnt be an issue :) thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

splinter wrote: »
    thanks for the replies folks :) but fingers crossed ill have my full licence by then. im also over 24 so rental shouldnt be an issue :) thanks for the help
    A rental will be a problem, unless you have a time machine. You will need a full licence for at least a year before you will get a company to rent you a car....

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Also, the minimum age for a lot of rental companies is 25.

You'll be perfectly entitled to bring you own car over once you have a full license though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement