Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Vista really THAT bad?

2»

Comments

I still can't get my head round Vista. I don't like the interface and find myself having to think about stuff rather than just knowing it. I still feel like the file copying is slower even in SP1, faster than RTM but still slower than any XP release.

When you think about it, the fundamentals in XP really haven't changed much since Windows 95. If you so please you can modify the XP interface to look almost identical to 95, more so than 2000 or 98. Was there this much resistance to 95 when it was out?

I myself did have trouble getting to grips with XP but by SP1 I had sorted them all out and decided I'd never go back. Still don't feel the same about Vista and neither have any of my friends or family members... well except one friend who says "your pc isn't designed for it :p" Eh, I've a dual core with 4 gigs of RAM.
    Hobbes wrote: »
    So if you have WPA-TKIP then your going to a good chance of serious issues. Best thread I found on it, but I am not convinced it is solved.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=481371&SiteID=17
    Yep, I came across this a few times with the work router on Vista (an AVM Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7140). I had to switch it to WEP 128-bit to get round it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

When it doesn't crash and the network eventually works it is quite nice. UAC isn't that annoying if configured correctly.

But compared to W2K8 its a pile of shoite. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You can not compare to Windows 2008 as its a Server OS. Just like you can not compare XP to server 2003.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Saruman wrote: »
    You can not compare to Windows 2008 as its a Server OS. Just like you can not compare XP to server 2003.

Well running it as a desktop and its incredibly stable and fast compared to Vista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't think these OS'es are all that different to be honest. Often its just different "versions" so MS can hit different price points. They add/remove a few services and bolt on some feature, thats about it. I tried Server 2008 for a day, and it was light years faster than default Vista 32/64. Unfortunately I couldn't get a driver that worked properly with my laptops gfx. Otherwise I'd still be using it. I gave up on Vista X64 last night, too many niggles and went back to XP on my main machine. Can't get over how much faster and easier XP is over Vista.

• Advertisement
Advertisement