Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seuxal Harrassment - steps to take

Options
  • 25-04-2008 12:06pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Despite my years in managment ive never had to directly (thankfully) deal with a case like this. Im looking for some words of guidance from someone, be it a manager or an individual who has gone through it rather than run of the mill advice please.

My friend (we dont work together) was recently sexuall assaulted at a conference she attended. She was her company representative at the conference, and its a regular event.

It wasnt attempted rape of anything like that but it was an indecent act. The ins and outs arent relevent now for the purposes of this query.

Anyway, the event organisers picked up that something was not right and after checking with my friend, they asked the individual in question to leave.

After a bit of persuasion, my friend made a formal complaint through her HR team. Long story short, there has been some pushback as you might expect from the individuals company and his HR person now wants to meet my friend who will be accompanied by her HR person.

This is where i have the problem. from what she has told me, the other company arent being very open to her complaint. Im debating whether my friend should have a solicitor present, but maybe im being over protective.

While no harm came to my friend as a result of the event, this bloke cant be allowed get away scott free to do it again, or worse.

So has anyone been in a similar situation that can advise on best course of action?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

faceman wrote: »
    his HR person
    Read: his solicitor. Tell your friend to bring their solicitor along.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

Definitely tell your friend to bring her solicitor. The HR reps will be there to look after the companies interests and not your friends. Even if she decides not to use a solicitor she would be well advised to seek a legal opinion before the meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

faceman - She should definitely have a solicitor present. The issue has become clouded by the fact that the assault happened at a function where both companies were represented.

However, the crux of the matter is that it is not an assault by one company employee on another company employee. This was an assault by one individual upon another individual.

At the end of the day your friend's HR representative will be there to protect the company's interests. While this may also be the same interests as your friend - that is not guaranteed. You friend really should have an independent legal advisor present to look out for her interests alone.

BTW - I hope she's OK.

Advertisement