Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grants etc..

Options
  • 25-04-2008 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Sorry for starting a new thread about this, but thought it best. I will be returning to full-time education this september as a mature student in NCI. I have been working full time and have a mortgage. I rang the VEC to find out about Grants and was informed that I would only be entitled to the mantinace grant. Surely this can't be right. As I will no longer be working, would I not be entitled to claim the social welfare or something like it? As it seems that if I was un-employed and returning to college, I would get a lot more financial relief.

Comments

Sorry for starting a new thread about this, but thought it best. I will be returning to full-time education this september as a mature student in NCI. I have been working full time and have a mortgage. I rang the VEC to find out about Grants and was informed that I would only be entitled to the mantinace grant. Surely this can't be right. As I will no longer be working, would I not be entitled to claim the social welfare or something like it? As it seems that if I was un-employed and returning to college, I would get a lot more financial relief.

Hi orchidsrpretty,

What you’re saying is correct to the best of my knowledge. There have been a few people on here who have hit the same barrier – that if they were unemployed before it would be been a lot better.

Just one thing to remember when you do get to college – all colleges have a confidential fund for students if they are experiencing hardship. You mightn’t need it, but it is something to keep in mind in case times do get tough.

Sorry that I couldn’t help more.

Dónal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Thanks for the quick reply. Its shocking really how the goverment have these things set up. Im suprised the whole country doesn't just become un-employed, we'd all be better off!

Advertisement