Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband options for two laptops users on the move?

Options
  • 25-04-2008 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

Looking for help with choosing a broadband - we are now moving out from our house leaving our eircom broadband behind and will be living in Dublin 8 for 6 months then move out again so probably mobile broadbands would be best!

We have thought of O2 modems (if we both use net constantly we'd need two, right? or do you split the signal somehow), does their offer make sense? We are now both on Meteor prepay but considering moving to good pay monthly (any) so maybe there are some combined offers somewhere? Any other recommended broadbands with good data limits? We don't DL full movies or such but I DL loads of graphics and bf watches music clips.

Any caveats/suggestion will be really welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

herya wrote: »
    Looking for help with choosing a broadband - we are now moving out from our house leaving our eircom broadband behind and will be living in Dublin 8 for 6 months then move out again so probably mobile broadbands would be best!

We have thought of O2 modems (if we both use net constantly we'd need two, right? or do you split the signal somehow), does their offer make sense? We are now both on Meteor prepay but considering moving to good pay monthly (any) so maybe there are some combined offers somewhere? Any other recommended broadbands with good data limits? We don't DL full movies or such but I DL loads of graphics and bf watches music clips.

Any caveats/suggestion will be really welcome.

Eircom offer a six month contract so if the place you are moving to has a phone line you do have that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Unfortunately it doesn't :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sharing 3G would not be recommended either, speeds vary wildly, can often by very low, limits are low too. Having 2 3G modems is a bit of a waste if you're in the same location, unless both are from different operators. If you're both using the same 3G service, then you'll be sharing the single 3.6Mbps available in that sector, so you'll instantly be halving the possible download speed. More users in the sector and things get bad.

Maybe give Ripwave a look, though that can be as bad as the 3G too, but it is cheap.

Thanks for the Ripwave tip, just checked their website, we could split and no download limit sounds nice, with all the heavy graphics I receive and send 10GB is not much! We're not so much concerned with the actual speed (we were fine splitting 2MB) as long as it stays over 512 and doesn't break completely, do you think it's realistic with Ripwave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Only way to tell really is to get the Ripwave and trial it out. To be honest, it's pretty dreadful most of the time but it might suit your needs whereas for most others it wouldn't.

IBB have been grand with accepting back units and canceling contracts with them if the ripwave you get from them just doesn't meet your expectations.

Get it for a month and try it out yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ripwave is similar speed to heavy loaded 3G/HSDPA.
    It doesn't NEED a cap.

Just to clarify, I meant Breeze actually.. took me a while to distinguish between them, for some reason I thout they are all called Ripwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Breeze is fine. completely different tech,

Thanks guys, looks like we're sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

herya wrote: »
    Thanks guys, looks like we're sorted!

A happy camper in the Broadband forum, wow. Got to bookmark this thread. Glad you're sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement