Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

biocycle or hillmaster

• 25-04-2008 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get some opinions on this. I have a small site and am just beginning plans at the moment, so am having to decide what type of sewage system I will have. One option is a biocycle, the site is small but it will fit, percolation is ok etc. The cost is big though, around 12grand for the whole thing.

There is mains sewage 50 feet away from the site, but it is above the site level (5 foot). So another option is to use an anti gravity sewage system like the klargester hillmaster. It works out much cheaper but I am hung up on the idea of a pumped system, because I don't know much about them and have horror stories in my head.

Anyway I would love to hear what people think about this, and if people have used either system and what they thought etc.

Thanks,
    zenzen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

zenzen wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get some opinions on this. I have a small site and am just beginning plans at the moment, so am having to decide what type of sewage system I will have. One option is a biocycle, the site is small but it will fit, percolation is ok etc. The cost is big though, around 12grand for the whole thing.

There is mains sewage 50 feet away from the site, but it is above the site level (5 foot). So another option is to use an anti gravity sewage system like the klargester hillmaster. It works out much cheaper but I am hung up on the idea of a pumped system, because I don't know much about them and have horror stories in my head.

Anyway I would love to hear what people think about this, and if people have used either system and what they thought etc.

Thanks,
    zenzen

You dont say what the lower number is but one way of looking at it to do the math on the difference. say the lower cost is 7k and I assume this includes connecting to the sewer.
    Now do you pay an annual charge for using the sewage system?
    What will the annual running cost of the pumping be?
    Are there annual service charges/maintenance contract on either system?
    What is the expected life of the pump?
    What is the service call charge out?
    what will a new pump cost?

once you figure out all the costs then do a simple payback on the 5k

The other consideration, is you site well drained, are u on a hill/hollow or in a valley.?
    How is the groundwater level?

My instinct would have been to say go pumped as u have small site so get it off your site once and for all.

However just read an article on sustainability and their vote would be the biocycle as it reduces the enviro impact so I think stick with biocycle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

Hi

If there is a public sewer so close you are very unlikely to get planning for a biocycle unit, regardless of the added disadvantage of the small site. Regardless you would be much better off with the pumped system. If you are afraid of pump breakdown just pay a bit extra to have a spare pump on hand. An overflow could be provided to a soakpit for prolonged breakdowns / power cuts. Alternatively you could specify that the unit will allow for the connection of a generator, which could be put on for a few minutes just to empty the pump sump.

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭zenzen

thanks so much for the responses. all the questions are very handy, i will have to research it more now and find out all of that. thanks again!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if you are going with the 'pumped to sewer' option then the la may request you incorporate an attenuation tank for say 4 or 48 hrs in case of breakdown etc.... piping to a soakaway should not be entertained as an option.
    my la have started to request individual pumping stations lately instead of communal ones as they dont want the hassle or cost of maintaining them....

if going for a treatment system, check out EPS cork.. they are extremely competitive cost wise..... a hell of a lot better than what youve quoted....

Advertisement