Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ugliest school uniforms in all the land...

• 25-04-2008 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

Who would you give your vote to?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Well, not to any school in particular for many schools have similiar looking uniforms. The one I'd give my money to would be the faeces coloured brown jumper/black trousers type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i seen a pic once of a school with tartan trousers :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Anything brown.

There was one uniform that I used to see in town a lot, it was a navy skirt with a vibrant pink jumper, I loved it but most people hated it.

But, all in all, (apart from brown ones), Ireland has it pretty good:

_38601027_021217burka150aa.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

All the school uniforms in Limerick have ankle length skirts, they look terrible imo, especially the check ones. After that it would be anything brown or green. I hate shirts that aren't white or blue too. I seen a girl the other day wearing a creamy-beigey coloured shirt, I couldn't tell whether it was manky dirty or if it was the actual colour of the shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

I'm pretty lucky with my uniform, the senior one is just all black with a white shirt and school tie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

All the school uniforms in Limerick have ankle length skirts, they look terrible imo, especially the check ones.

True, they look horrific no matter what shoes are worn with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

When I first went to college in Limerick, I just couldn't get over how they all had long skirts to their ankles..never seen the like before. I'v always been used to short skirts. Three years later, after seeing them everyday Im used to them!:eek: As for footwear, they all wear decks and they look fine under them, couldnt wear anything else in fairness.

Munt Anville *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The old uniform for the Lake primary school was a scuttery brown kinda mixed with baby sh!t green uniform with a beige shirt. They changed it a few years ago to turquoise and grey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    As for footwear, they all wear decks and they look fine under them, couldnt wear anything else in fairness.

I disagree - they are fugly!

I really hate these school uniforms they have in Ireland. They are so unflattering and are possibly partly to blame for the sloppiness of so many people in this country in terms of appearance. They encourage you to think that clothes are just something you throw on without a thought.

Japanese uniforms, from what I've seen, seem to be much better cut and more flattering although I don't like the Lolita-ish ones. Twould still be better to have a dress code rather than a uniform in schools, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

My secondary school uniform was jeans and a sweater :D We had it so easy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

ours is petrol blue coloured jumpers and grey trousers/skirts...i wear dubarry shoes.

they are now bringing in a pe uniform because this year pe for some classes have been split between break and lunch so people have been wearing better clothes just so they can be seen and stuff, haha sluts. its navy o'neills and this disgusting jacket type thing which is also navy but with like a maroon stripe on the arms ughhh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

http://i1.bebo.com/015b/14/large/2006/08/13/22/291480866a1691174762b547430180l.jpg
    I didn't mind mine at all, some people's skirts/kilts were ankle length but most weren't. The junior school green jumper sucked though.

I hate all the maroon uniforms around town, they're so samey, and maroon skirts are horrible. Loreto on the Green is one..
    Also any brown one, ughh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

My school uniform was brown but it was a very dark brown so I don't think it was too bad. Depends on the shade I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

http://i1.bebo.com/015b/14/large/2006/08/13/22/291480866a1691174762b547430180l.jpg
    I didn't mind mine at all, some people's skirts/kilts were ankle length but most weren't. The junior school green jumper sucked though.

I hate all the maroon uniforms around town, they're so samey, and maroon skirts are horrible. Loreto on the Green is one..
    Also any brown one, ughh.

That was my one too :D
    I had the same skirt from 1st-5th year.
    By 5th year I was a good few inches taller and the skirt was just below my knees. Principal accused me of rolling up my skirt to nake it shorter! pfft! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

bronte wrote: »
    That was my one too :D
    I had the same skirt from 1st-5th year.
    By 5th year I was a good few inches taller and the skirt was just below my knees. Principal accused me of rolling up my skirt to nake it shorter! pfft! :p
    Haha same uniform here too. Had the kilt from 1st to 6th year, god be with the days when my waistband was so constant. I just got taller.

Felt so good to get rid of the tie for senior cycle.

The navy jumper also looks a lot better than the green. However, it is still a very unflattering uniform, it doesn't give any shape whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Phantasm

Limerick, definately.

My current one is nice enough. Plain navy.
    Next year it won't be quite so nice, though =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

Phantasm wrote: »
    Limerick, definately.]

+1 for the Limerick skirts!

Still can't get my head around why the so long! It's like the longer the better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I went to school in Limerick and the shortest a skirt could be in my school was knee length. Teaching now I can see why they were long, most girls in the school I work in spend their time rolling up the waistbands of their skirts to make them as short as possible. It doesn't leave much to the imagination and has led to one or two boys trying to take photos of girls while walking up the stairs in the school.

It's not possible to make an ankle length pleated skirt look anyway slutty! Much warmer in winter too!

having said that Presentation, Limerick had a horrendous brown tartan skirt. Don't know if they still have that uniform

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Shelli wrote: »
    There was one uniform that I used to see in town a lot, it was a navy skirt with a vibrant pink jumper, I loved it but most people hated it.

That's St. Dominic's in Cabra. Strawberry pink jumper and navy skirt 1st - 3rd year and the opposite way around 4th - 6th.

Ahhh the memories...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Theres a school uniform that I see sometimes around north inner city Dublin which is a blue tracksuit and yellow stripes on the arms (I think) Its possibly the ugliest uniform Ive seen. Anyone know the one Im on about? Mine was green jumper grey trousers black shoes (and not dubes). Not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

heh, I've got it easy :D

Navy trousers
    White shirt
    Blue/Navy jumper
    Black shoes
    annmarie.jpg

Some schools have to wear blazers.. BLAZERS FOR CHRISTS SAKE! I must say I lol'd when i saw such uniforms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I actually know the reason the skirts are so long in Limerick as I've met the person who designed them for one of the first schools to use them.

Her reasoning is that it's the fairest uniform for unattractive girls as it prevents the very attractive girls from showing off their legs and making less attractive girls concious of being unattractive. She thinks there's enough peer pressure on young girls without having to subject them to uniforms that make every day into a fashion parade.

She also pointed out that short skirts look great on a small percentage of people, and horrible on most girls, she felt it wasn't fair to put more pressure on young girls to always be judged on their looks no matter what they wear.

Least, thats what she told me anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

wixfjord wrote: »
    Theres a school uniform that I see sometimes around north inner city Dublin which is a blue tracksuit and yellow stripes on the arms (I think) Its possibly the ugliest uniform Ive seen. Anyone know the one Im on about? Mine was green jumper grey trousers black shoes (and not dubes). Not too bad.

as far as i know thats larkin community collage.

mines a grey jumper,a long grey pleated skirt,a lime mint green shirt,a really dark green huge jacket and grey or whit socks and black shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

My uniform was one of those disgusting coloured brown ones. However, even though they were extremely ugly, they were a great leveller. The well off girls and the poorer girls looked the same. For that reason the uniform was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Mine was disgusting...

Grey skirt (shorter the better) and jumper,
    BRIGHT YELLOW shirt
    Black & yellow stripy tie
    Black blazer (bought in 1st yr, by 5th your arms stuck straight out from your sides when you put it on & the sleeves ended halfway up your arm). This had a yellow crest on the pocket designed by a teacher. Only in 5th year did we discover it was an abstract representation of the sacred heart...which finally put an end to wondering WTF our school crest was a teddy bear on stilts (has to be seen to be believed).

This delightful combination was rounded off by white fooball socks pushed down so they wrinkled- if you were cool you wore a few pairs to get that extra bulkiness into the wrinkles, and either big knacker runners or black shoes.

I shudder at the memory...

thats my school uniform for special occasions lol.

http://www.forumoneurope.ie/uploadedfiles/heywood%20small.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

aliqueenb wrote: »
    thats my school uniform for special occasions lol.

http://www.forumoneurope.ie/uploadedfiles/heywood%20small.jpg

Really? Poor you. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

.. BLAZERS FOR CHRISTS SAKE! I must say I lol'd when i saw such uniforms.
    Yup I had to wear a blazer but was only for special occasions like prize giving etc. Your uniform was not as bad as ours take a look :eek: home%20page%20photo%20July%2006.gif thank god im not there anymore
    i wonder who gets the bright task of desifning these horrible uniforms which most of us wear or have had to wear in the past

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ours was quite nice actually: Blue skirt (supposed to be knee-length), blue v-necked jumper, white open-necked shirt with narrow blue stripes. No tie or anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?MemberId=447938376&PhotoAlbumId=500132279&PhotoId=553844377

I was quite fond of mine, when I see what else is out there, the Mercy uniform (green n yellow) and the Loretta uniform (brown n yellow). then I moved to Dublin and realised how easy we had it....there's a school somewhere around like stillorgan/donnybrook sorta area, and it's baby pink, hot pink and navy check....it's one of the most awful uniforms ever, and I love the colour pink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

as far as i know thats larkin community collage.

mines a grey jumper,a long grey pleated skirt,a lime mint green shirt,a really dark green huge jacket and grey or whit socks and black shoes.

Sounds like St. Marys to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Munt Anville *shudder*
    they make up for it by having by the far the hottest girls.

my sister hates hers in loretto foxrock, a nice dull brown.

Sangre wrote: »
    they make up for it by having by the far the hottest girls.

my sister hates hers in loretto foxrock, a nice dull brown.

Yeah, that's pretty awful. It's a kind of rusty brown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

OLP wrote: »
    Sounds like St. Marys to me

that would be because it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

More pics please :pac:

kaimera wrote: »
    More pics please :pac:
    Ah so that's the reason you were sent out of the country!!:eek:
    On 'business' pffft!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    Ah so that's the reason you were sent out of the country!!:eek:
    On 'business' pffft!!:p
    Why whatever do you mean ma'dear?

No need to sugarcoat it..spit it out!

Now now..lets not get off topic here!:D

Back in the day I was in secondary school I loved my uniform, consisted of: wine/burdendy straight short skirt and jumper, white shirt and grey and wine stripped tie (but we never wore that!) We had the option of wearing black pants if we wanted aswell, which was great in the Winter weather!
    Would post pics but Kairmera is about!:p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

snot green with a horrible tartan long skirt, with a big nappy pin in the front.. Was really lovely :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Regina Mundi in Cork ftw. Such a vision of electric purple....gives me chills, of the barf variety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Ours was grand, navy v-neck jumper, white shirt, navy skirt to the knee with one pleat at the front and navy tights.

The year before I left they changed the uniform (luckily only for the years coming in) and it was DIRE! A grey pinafore of very unflattering length with a black cardigan with the 'new' school colour in a band on the arm.

The hottest girls looked mank in it :D

ugggggggh why did they change it to such a disgusting thing?

xzanti wrote: »
    snot green with a horrible tartan long skirt, with a big nappy pin in the front.. Was really lovely :rolleyes:

Colaiste Iosgain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

what is up with the skirts that are so long you can't see the girl's feet? saw some of these recently and thought wtf? seriously though, wtf? they look ridiculous, they're going to soak up all the water on a wet day, they're going to get all dirty from the ground, they make short people look like stumpy barrels and they're just plain fugly. WTF? :eek::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

what is up with the skirts that are so long you can't see the girl's feet? saw some of these recently and thought wtf? seriously though, wtf? they look ridiculous, they're going to soak up all the water on a wet day, they're going to get all dirty from the ground, they make short people look like stumpy barrels and they're just plain fugly. WTF? :eek::mad:

That's the point, at least it was when i was in school, regardless of what type of skirt it is, it wasn't cool to wear it at the correct length, so the girls with short skirts make them even shorter by rolling them up at the waist and us Limerick people, well we didn't have that option so easier to let them be as long as possible and let them drag along the ground. It also covered shoes that weren't allowed. I had Doc Marten boots for the whole of leaving cert and they were never questioned.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Pythia wrote: »
    Colaiste Iosgain?

No St. Peter's College Dunboyne..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

don't most schools outside dublin have wellies as part of the uniform?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Tech in Athenry. I think it's the tech, maybe it's the Pres. But they have a yellow shirt with an aqua jumper...I swear whoever designed it must have been using Braille.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

OMG I went to Mater Christies, Finglas... well let me tell ya, Do you remember when all the schools had tight knee lenght skirts? Well it was a brown skirt, brown jumper, brown socks, yellow shirt and red tie.. I always said we looked like Mr Hanky the Christmas Poop from South Park.. It was awful awful... like terrible... I must say their new uniform is a huge improvement..

anybody know why all the schools done away with those tighter knee high skirts? Every school seems to have them longer pleated skirts now..

• Advertisement
Advertisement