Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ugliest school uniforms in all the land...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

Sangre wrote: »
    don't most schools outside dublin have wellies as part of the uniform?
    lol,
    no laois and i wear my dubes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭shazpunk

That big school in Cork with thoes tight, ass-lenght, grey skirts, with grey baggy shirts and bottle green jumpers, black tights/gry socks are UGLY!!! only about 4 girls in the whole school can pul it off!!!

I don't have a uniform for 5th/6th year which I think is wonderfull, but it wasnt that bad to start with, Navy just above the knee skirt with two box pleats, fitted white shirt, and a navey jumper, navy knee high socks...its quite nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

Faith wrote: »
    Ours was quite nice actually: Blue skirt (supposed to be knee-length), blue v-necked jumper, white open-necked shirt with narrow blue stripes. No tie or anything like that.

Think I may have gone to the same school as you......unless you went in Edinburgh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Up until 3rd year we had a grey jumper, light grey shirt, grey skirt and a grey, red and green tie. It wasn't bad actually.

Towards the end of 3rd year they decided to change the uniform for the following year so they chose a few colours and asked some of the classes to vote. We ended up with a grey skirt or pants, black jumper and a red blouse. The boys still had to wear ties. I thought it was really nice. (As nice as a uniform can be!) The red and black were lovely together.

I had the honour of being the first girl to walk into the school wearing the new pants. The principal thought it was funny because it was a mild day, but the pants were better because I could hop over tables easily and I was actually comfortable.

Oh and Regina Mundy in Cork does have an awful uniform!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Abdiel

Hi,
    I think a lot of the uniforms in Dublin have changed for the worst.
    I dont like the trend of doing away with girl's ties, I am sure the girls will argue otherwise, but I've always thought they looked good, more so when worn properly. I think the new blouse that Loretto on the Green have is like a pyjama top stufffed under a jumper. I think in their case, the beige blouse and tie was much better!
    Even from some of the comments here, it seems girls dont like the ties much :( Maybe you girls forget some times that boys shirts are measured by neck size, so are generally much tighter in that area than girls!

My favorite girls uniform has always been Maryfield College (I grew up nearby and went to Joey's in fairview, so I used to see them a lot!) They used to have these awful blazers up until the mid 90s I think though - thick royal and light blue stripes! Pitty they all wear the ties so sloppily now though. Some girls uniforms without ties are ok too though, I think Muckross - the green one! - even looks nice, St Andrews in Booterstown has nice girls uniforms too - something about their skirts make them look better than most uniforms. Maybe not ankle length for starters! I am not particularly fond of the Holy Faith Killester uniform, I knew a lot of people who went there, the grey skirt, grey jumper and green revere collar blouse, I dont know it just always seem too dull and grey.
    I hate all these polo shirt uniforms that seem to come in a lot more too, they always just look so scruffy and raggy, I just dont think that sort of t-shirt can take every day wear.
    Also seems interesting if you watch that school choir of the year thing at all the up the North or Ireland, the uniforms still seem much stricter in general - blazers, ties for girls - always done up! (Yay! :) ) I guess I am just a uniform purist! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I have yet to come across a uniform that tops the abomination that they make the girls wear in Pres. Tralee.

Foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I used to always see this pug-fugly uniform when I was on my way to school but I dunno where it's from:

Royal blue jumper and ankle length skirt with a light blue shirt and royal blue tie :eek:

They looked like the cookie monster! Also they all wore brown dubes, which looked dreadful with it

My uniform was grand, navy jumper, white shirt and navy/dark green tartan kilt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭GLUEY

Ankle length skirts. *shudders*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Yeah I think the best uniforms are from Maryfield :) The colour isn't that bad(maybe even nice) and the length of the skirt is just right! I'd consider myself pretty lucky uniform wise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 red glitter

Abdiel wrote: »
    My favorite girls uniform has always been Maryfield College
    Yeah I think the best uniforms are from Maryfield :)

woop! :) i agree my school has the best uniform! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

I always liked my uniform, we had tartan skirts with white shirts, green ties and navy jumpers! if anyone watched the "all island school choir" final I went to Presentation Kilkenny!:D
    http://www.preskilkenny.com/leaving%20cert%202009.htm

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I had one god awful and one lovely uniform. 1st one was brown skirt, brown jumper and cream open neck shirt. Bllleuuchh. 2nd one was nice, royal blue skirt, darker blue jumper pale blue shirt, blue and yellow tie, and I much preferred the striped blazer to the awful blue gabardine coat. :D

Just after we left they got rid of the bum skimming PE kit for a more sensible tracksuit..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Whats with 'all Irish school girls' wearing the same make of shoes, with open laces :confused: flip flop, flip flop, flip flop . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

Camelot wrote: »
    Whats with 'all Irish school girls' wearing the same make of shoes, with open laces :confused: flip flop, flip flop, flip flop . . . .

They are indestuctable! I had mine for three years ha!

Everyone in my school wore flimsy little ballet flats, which were useless on a rainy day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I went to school in Limerick and the shortest a skirt could be in my school was knee length. Teaching now I can see why they were long, most girls in the school I work in spend their time rolling up the waistbands of their skirts to make them as short as possible. It doesn't leave much to the imagination and has led to one or two boys trying to take photos of girls while walking up the stairs in the school.

It's not possible to make an ankle length pleated skirt look anyway slutty! Much warmer in winter too!

having said that Presentation, Limerick had a horrendous brown tartan skirt. Don't know if they still have that uniform

I had to pop into this thread to see if my alma mater made the list - yay! ;-)

I never really noticed long skirt-length being specific to Limerick, I have to say. Most of us wore them long, but I did start rolling it up a bit in 5th year to show off the ankles :D
    I think we were advised to buy long to allow for growth spurts, so you'd get more wear out of it :-)

I had to wear the brown tartan skirt, for my sins, but they introduced in a navy blue uniform in 1992.:)

Now, the Laurel Hill uniform - they had white socks for the Gaelscoil and purple for the C school. And of course the Gaelscoil daltaí made damn sure their white socks were pulled up at all times! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

nicola09 wrote: »
    They are indestuctable! I had mine for three years ha!

Its really the open laces that I don't get :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

mine was a grey skirt, white shirt, grey jumper wit a red stripe round the neck, grey and red tie and black/grey socks, then in 6th yr the jumper was black wit a red stripe and the tie was red and black.

always managed to make you look sick even if you werent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I can't stand mine, but it doesn't seem too bad compared to others.
    Junior uniform is maroon jumper and skirt and fawn (awful colour) shirt. Used to have a maroon tie but they got rid of it when I was in second year. White or fawn socks.
    Senior uniform is blue jumper and skirt and blue and white stripey shirt. No tie. Grey or white socks.

Utterly useless at keeping in and letting out heat. I go around freezing for most of the year, even though I wear a long sleeved top and 3/4 length leggins tucked into my socks. Still so cold :(

I hate the awful quality of the uniform. They fall apart after a year and a half and very few people make them last the three years. They also look really awful second hand. Nothing against second hand clothes, half my uniform is second hand, but it's falling apart and there is no way it'll last until I'm in sixth year.

I don't understand floor lenth skirts. They look awful and I can't imagine them being in anyway clean. The seem to drag off the floor and I'd hate that in wet weather. How to they stop the wet from travelling up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Abdiel

[/LEFT]

I still say it would look better if worn properly instead of all of you trying to hide your ties down below the v-necks. It should be quite easy to fix - tell everybody to tidy up or they are going to bring back the blazer and gaberdine! :) In fact Maryfield must be one of the few all-girls schools that still have ties in Dublin, I cant think of any other one now off the top of my head!

• Advertisement

I hate ties on school uniforms! They're uncomfortable and look sloppy on girls' blouses because the neck is looser. I say just get rid of them! With jumpers they're not needed anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

Mount Anville + Loreto on the green both have mingin uniforms

Also Sion Hill + Colaiste Iosagain are sick!

+ Teresians + Alexandra tracksuit is revolting! yuck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭jenny2hat

[/left]

You're in Maryfield too? :D
    Yeah ours is alright.

4366572636a11760182303l.jpg
    No, that's not me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭jenny2hat

Abdiel wrote: »
    I still say it would look better if worn properly instead of all of you trying to hide your ties down below the v-necks. It should be quite easy to fix - tell everybody to tidy up or they are going to bring back the blazer and gaberdine! :) In fact Maryfield must be one of the few all-girls schools that still have ties in Dublin, I cant think of any other one now off the top of my head!

:( No blazers would be awful.
    Dominicans just down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

we had chocolate brown skirt, chocolate brown jumper and a yellow/cream shirt - OMG it was absolutely ugly.

As a parent, I have to say I prefer the long Limerick type skirts that the ultra short minis in Ennis. There are few enough girls who actually look good in the short skirts (even knee length ones). The long ones are seen as a right of passage in Limerick from what I can work out from nieces. You can get short ones, and the schools (some of them anyway) don't insist on the long ones - the girls just prefer them. Worn with decks usually.

Do people really expect uniforms to last for 3 years - its something you wear 5 days a week for about 8 hours a day. You wouldn't expect to get that much wear out of any other piece of clothing surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭sogg

phasers wrote: »
    I used to always see this pug-fugly uniform when I was on my way to school but I dunno where it's from:

Royal blue jumper and ankle length skirt with a light blue shirt and royal blue tie :eek:

They looked like the cookie monster! Also they all wore brown dubes, which looked dreadful with it

My uniform was grand, navy jumper, white shirt and navy/dark green tartan kilt

Mount Sackville in Castleknock??

Tis not pretty alright but still think Loreto Foxrock's is worse.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

We had smurf blue jumpers and green ties...

98952.JPG

Nice huh?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

oh well wrote: »
    we had chocolate brown skirt, chocolate brown jumper and a yellow/cream shirt - OMG it was absolutely ugly.

As a parent, I have to say I prefer the long Limerick type skirts that the ultra short minis in Ennis. There are few enough girls who actually look good in the short skirts (even knee length ones). The long ones are seen as a right of passage in Limerick from what I can work out from nieces. You can get short ones, and the schools (some of them anyway) don't insist on the long ones - the girls just prefer them. Worn with decks usually.

Do people really expect uniforms to last for 3 years - its something you wear 5 days a week for about 8 hours a day. You wouldn't expect to get that much wear out of any other piece of clothing surely.

I suppose for things like shirts and jumpers, they'd have to be replaced when the cuffs/collars start to unfray. But luckily for my mother, I stopped growing when I was about 14 :) so I was able to wear the same skirt and blazer (and tie, but that hardly counts!) for the five years, notwithstanding a few hem changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I think I recall Loreto (Girl's school) in Crumlin (Dublin) as being fairly hideous back in the day. May have changed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I like mine, it's pretty plain I guess; navy jumper, blue tie and shirt, but its not like those ones you look at and just want to vomit over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement