Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Govt. closing "Early Houses"

• 25-04-2008 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

Big brother really coming down on us now,so there's a problem with kids drinking,and what do they do?? Close down the early houses.

Where can a person go now for a drink after a hard nights work.

Disgraceful I say. Don't let them away with it,it's not part of the problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

More drink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

My localest early house is only used by smelly old fishermen. Thats really unfair for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The government don't really have a clue how to deal with problem drinking. Measures like this and reducing offie opening hours aint gonna do squat except piss responsible drinkers off. Kids need access to non-booze oriented activities and social outlets, adults who drink too much, start fights, drink drive, beat their wives etc need to cop the f*ck on and be dealt with by the law. Some retarted half-ass measure like making shops sell booze from behind a counter aint gonna achieve anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

how the hell am i gonna continue binge drinking into the early hours with no early houses!?!?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

king-stew wrote: »
    how the hell am i gonna continue binge drinking into the early hours with no early houses!?!?

Easy, just buy twice as much from the off license before 10 pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

cornbb wrote: »
    The government don't really have a clue how to deal with problem drinking.
    qft

fucking gobshites grasping at straws as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Big brother really coming down on us now,so there's a problem with kids drinking,and what do they do?? Close down the early houses.

Where can a person go now for a drink after a hard nights work.

Disgraceful I say. Don't let them away with it,it's not part of the problem.

That really is f*cking incredible ... They just don't have a notion what they are at. It's extremely unfair for those working folk you mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

They really do have no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

SDooM wrote: »
    Easy, just buy twice as much from the off license before 10 pm.

10pm? Most offies open 'til 11. Don't tell me they're changing that too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

The are indeed, pain in the hole as the off liscence across the road forom me opens till 12.30 on the weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

10pm? Most offies open 'til 11. Don't tell me they're changing that too?

that and then some

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Good this country is rife with alcohol related issues and trying to educate the public will do no good, so in that light reducing opening business hours is the only way forward.

Sure it is hard on some but its for the good of the majority

Lets just bring in prohibition. It always seemed like so much fun in the movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Said it before, say it again: this is a societal problem, that society doesn't care enough about to want to change. Nothing to do with the govenment: when they take bad measures, we moan. When they take good measures, they moan. When they do nothing, we moan.

We like our teenages to be pissed and violent, amen.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Rob_l wrote: »
    Good this country is rife with alcohol related issues and trying to educate the public will do no good, so in that light reducing opening business hours is the only way forward.

Reducing opening hours ISN'T the way forward. I drink perhaps once a month and I can't tell you the last time I was drunk it was so long ago. When I do like a drink it's usually late in the evening or at night. I want a late opening off licence for when I feel in the mood.

The government's actions are all wrong, they have completely the wrong approach to dealing with alcohol. We need a more european, liberal way of dealing with the issue. Making alcohol seem 'tainted' or 'forbidden' only makes it more attractive to some. If we had 24 hour pubs (instead of everywhere shutting at the same time), freely available alcohol and a no-nonsense police force who take a zero tolerance attitude to drink on the streets I don't believe that we'd have the problems we do.

Let people access alcohol when and where they want and any mystery to it will soon disappear.

Lets just bring in prohibition. It always seemed like so much fun in the movies.

...the best damn pet shop in town!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

The government don't really have a clue how to deal with problem drinking. Measures like this and reducing offie opening hours aint gonna do squat except piss responsible drinkers off. Kids need access to non-booze oriented activities and social outlets, adults who drink too much, start fights, drink drive, beat their wives etc need to cop the f*ck on and be dealt with by the law. Some retarted half-ass measure like making shops sell booze from behind a counter aint gonna achieve anything.

ah but you see there are two problems there:
    1. it makes sense, therefore the government won't do it

2. it costs money. the government wants to do everything they can for every problem as long as it doesn't cost them any money

i have the perfect solution to underage drinking. stay with me here, it's a radical idea.

1. you introduce a law which says that a person cannot drink if they are below a certain age

2. you introduce some form of identity card, complete with a photo, which clearly indicates the age of a person.

3. you introduce a law that says that sellers of alcohol must ask people to produce this identification at the point of purchase in order to prove their age.

4. this is the really revolutionary part: you enforce those laws!!!

cue people calling me a mad man for suggesting something so mind blowingly original

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

They should ban drink.

For the craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

They are headin that way:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

All the kids are at home in their beds pissed by 10pm so I don't think it'll make a difference.

I think this move is more to do with the government bending over and inserting KY for their buddies in the LVA by trying to restrict supermarkets and garages selling alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I think this is typical of FF. Don't solve the problem, just be damn sure you are seen to be trying to. How many kids do you see in early houses at 7 a.m.?

Another example, banning 10 packs of cigarettes. I don't have any stats to back up what I'm saying but I seriously doubt that the lack of 10 packs has stopped a single person from smoking. If anything, it has probably led to an increase in consumption. Just a bull**** measure for show.

This makes me sad. I like alcohol. In fact I think I'll go to the pub...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Fu(k Ireland

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Fu(k Ireland

There's an idea. Beats doing stupid sponsored walks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, more half-assedness.

The 10pm closing for off licences is a good example of not thinking it through. At the moment, people will have a few drinks and if they feel they need more, they'll head down to the off licence. As I'm sure most of us have discovered, by the time you get to the point where you shouldn't drink any more, but really need to get some, the offie is already closed.

Now people will just buy twice as much before 10pm and get completely ****ed.

When I was a kid, I bought all of my drink before 8pm. They can change opening and closing hours of pubs and off licences all they like, but it'll just make people determined to drink more before/after the cut-off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

It's the usual thing. Hit the s**t out of the majority for the sins of the minority because you can't sit in a quiet corner and think out a real answer. It's only a matter of time before the solution to the problem becomes a substantial increase on tax and duty on booze. Our elected representatives have already half killed off the pub trade with smoking bans and whatever, so soon we will be in the happy position where the only determined drinkers are wealthy people who can buy their whisky by the case and get stoned at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Rob_l wrote: »

No it's not, cos it will make no f*cking difference
    The government don't really have a clue how to deal with problem drinking.

QFT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

This makes me sad. I like alcohol. In fact I think I'll go to the pub...

Don't do it, thats just what they want you to do:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

This isn't going to cost the government much money to do, but how much will be lost on lack of alcohol sales?

How many licensed sellers will go out of business because of this?

In the long run, this will cost them more than it would to enforce the laws we already have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

The vast majority of people do not drink in moderation. They can't stop after 1 or 2. They want to keep drinking until they get tired or the pubs close.

Have you ever been in an early house? They're not full of fishermen or miners coming home from work. They're full of freaks and alcos.

I used to believe in the idea of "let people do whatever they want" and "tackle the root cause of the problem", but I have accepted -

1. Most people are stupid and selfish so will do whatever they want anyway.
    2. Restrictions are a good idea while you are attempting to tackle the root of the problem. The Government are planning to tackle the root of our alcohol problem. In the meantime, they want to do the second best thing which is to restrict alcohol consumption.

The reality is excessive alcohol consumption is a serious problem in this country, and no one is going to stop doing it by asking them nicely. Restrictions are the only option at the moment.

In the UK, they introduced 24 hour pubs - that has been a total disaster: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/03/nbooze103.xml

The reality is we are not too culturally dissimilar to the Brits, so it makes sense that if we have shorter off licence and pub opening hours, we'll have less problems.

I am not a retard, so I am able to go to the off licence before 10 pm, and most people would agree drinking at 8 in the morning is not healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

For f*ck sake, will they ever just enforce the laws they already have in place, at this rate Ireland will turn into America, ie: flooding south (or in this case north) of the border whenever they want a drink, maybe aer lingus did have the right idea...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Meh.......A Scandinavian solution for a not too Scandinavian population.

I really don't give a **** for booze, what gets me is just the general attitude that wee willy winkie tells us it's time for bed........

But I don't care all that much anymore seeing as house partys and small festivals are where it's at now, I only use the pub for the Guinness ;)

Although I'm living in Korea atm where you can get booze 24/7, what happens generally is that the pubs close when they feel like, and that you just reach a point where you have to go home.

In any case it's not a regulatory issue, but a societal issue, and that takes a generation to change. If theres a smoking ban like solution, it's yet to be found, and we have a population that will not accept a Norwegian type solution, so the government can fúck round all they want......but it won't make much of a difference.

dublindude wrote: »
    The reality is excessive alcohol consumption is a serious problem in this country, and no one is going to stop doing it by asking them nicely. Restrictions are the only option at the moment.

In the UK, they introduced 24 hour pubs - that has been a total disaster: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/03/nbooze103.xml

The reality is we are not too culturally dissimilar to the Brits, so it makes sense that if we have shorter off licence and pub opening hours, we'll have less problems.

I am not a retard, so I am able to go to the off licence before 10 pm, and most people would agree drinking at 8 in the morning is not healthy.

no, drinking at 8 in the morning is not healthy but i'm a grown man and if i want to drink until 8 in the morninig, i'll drink until 8 in the morning. it's not brian cowen's job to lecture me on what i should and shouldn't do with my spare time. it's not his place to ground me so i can't get drink after ten o clock.

The vast majority of people do not drink in moderation. They can't stop after 1 or 2. They want to keep drinking until they get tired or the pubs close.

Have you ever been in an early house? They're not full of fishermen or miners coming home from work. They're full of freaks and alcos.

I used to believe in the idea of "let people do whatever they want" and "tackle the root cause of the problem", but I have accepted -

1. Most people are stupid and selfish so will do whatever they want anyway.
    2. Restrictions are a good idea while you are attempting to tackle the root of the problem. The Government are planning to tackle the root of our alcohol problem. In the meantime, they want to do the second best thing which is to restrict alcohol consumption.

what that means is that you used to believe in democracy, where people can choose to do what they want but now you believe in dictatorship, where the government knows best and should make it illegal to do anything they think you shouldn't be doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Maximilian wrote: »

Another example, banning 10 packs of cigarettes. I don't have any stats to back up what I'm saying but I seriously doubt that the lack of 10 packs has stopped a single person from smoking. If anything, it has probably led to an increase in consumption. Just a bull**** measure for show.

Remember reading some of the studies at the time. And it is a surprisingly good idea according to the research. Of course i can't find any of it now :) [i'm a smoker]

Fu(k Ireland
    There's an idea. Beats doing stupid sponsored walks anyway.

can you sponser me? i'm going to shag YOR MA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I dont think this will have any affect on the problem we have.

How many 14 year olds go to early houses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

can you sponser me? i'm going to shag YOR MA

*reaches deep into pocket*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

snyper wrote: »

How many 14 year olds go to early houses?

not enough, and its depressing having to chat up the auld wans [would nearly turn a soul to drink]

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    no, drinking at 8 in the morning is not healthy but i'm a grown man and if i want to drink until 8 in the morninig, i'll drink until 8 in the morning. it's not brian cowen's job to lecture me on what i should and shouldn't do with my spare time. it's not his place to ground me so i can't get drink after ten o clock.

I agree with you completely, unfortunately the majority are messing it up for people like you.

The plan (AFAIK) is to tighten the drink rules while they work on the root problem. To me, this is acceptable. They have to do *something*. Tackling the root problem will probably take generations.
    what that means is that you used to believe in democracy, where people can choose to do what they want but now you believe in dictatorship, where the government knows best and should make it illegal to do anything they think you shouldn't be doing

No, it doesn't mean that at all. It's not a black and white situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Bravo to our wonderful government. Another pointless exercise.

The problem with the governments proposed curbing of drinking is that the only people it will affect are those who can legally drink. Closing off licenses at 10pm is only going to mean that people buy their drink earlier in the day. Ergo we can look forward to seeing 12-18 years olds pissed out of their heads in the early evening from now on.

• Advertisement

I agree with you completely, unfortunately the majority are messing it up for people like you.
    you see that's the problem with every law like this. some people have no self control so those with self control suffer.
    The plan (AFAIK) is to tighten the drink rules while they work on the root problem. To me, this is acceptable. They have to do *something*. Tackling the root problem will probably take generations.
    tbh, that's probably exactly the thinking that came up with this plan. they have no idea what to do but they have to do something so they do something that will inconvenience thousands of people and not help the problem in any way.
    No, it doesn't mean that at all. It's not a black and white situation.

it kind of does tbh. as far as i'm concerned, people can do whatever they want as long as what they're doing doesn't affect others. it's the beauty of a democratic country.

and when the government starts legislating what people can do with their free time because they think it's unhealthy for them and they know better, then you don't have a democracy anymore

what other social problems can we tackle while we're at it? eating fatty foods causes heart disease. let's restrict the opening hours of fast food places. lack of sleep is bad for you. let's make it illegal to be out of bed after 12. etc etc etc etc

they have no idea what to do but they have to do something so they do something that will inconvenience thousands of people and not help the problem in any way.

Not totally true. Restricting the supply of drink will reduce the amount of drinking.

Apart from the long term strategy of tackling the root cause of the problem, what do you think they should be doing in the meantime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I think this is typical of FF. Don't solve the problem, just be damn sure you are seen to be trying to. How many kids do you see in early houses at 7 a.m.?

This isn't sabout kids, it's about everybody. The statistics (somewhere, I can't be arsed finding them again) show that binge drinking is a greater problem in the 35-49 age group than the 16-24 age group. Bet you didn't see that one coming.

For Christ's sake, if you want to drink when "the mood takes you" have a stock at home like any normal person!

The problem with the governments proposed curbing of drinking is that the only people it will affect are those who can legally drink. Closing off licenses at 10pm is only going to mean that people buy their drink earlier in the day. Ergo we can look forward to seeing 12-18 years olds pissed out of their heads in the early evening from now on.

Since when have we been forced to consume everything we buy at the time of purchase...when I was younger I didn't exactly get someone to head up for drink after 10 at night, doesn't mean I started drinking before 10:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

But what's their problem with drinking at 8am., what if you work nightshifts? How many fights on the street/vandalism/other drink related crime/etc do you see at 9am-10am when these people are leaving the early houses? wtf like whats the point of this did they actually give a valid reason? :confused:

But what's their problem with drinking at 8am., what if you work nightshifts? How many fights on the street/vandalism/other drink related crime/etc do you see at 9am-10am when these people are leaving the early houses? wtf like whats the point of this did they actually give a valid reason? :confused:

I would imagine, though I don't know, that it has a lot to do with chronic alcoholism on that side of things. Again, cut availability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

ninty9er wrote: »
    This isn't sabout kids, it's about everybody. The statistics (somewhere, I can't be arsed finding them again) show that binge drinking is a greater problem in the 35-49 age group than the 16-24 age group. Bet you didn't see that one coming.

The problem here is that the drikning culture starts when you 16, sometimes younger. You promote good habits in younger years, your problems are sorted. As someone said, a lineral, more continental approach is needed.

The problem is that to our govenremnt, liberalism is a dirty word. The approach seems to be to BAN BAN BAN and keep BANNING until the problem goes away.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

whats an "early house"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

What irritates me is that this os one of those moves that people can't really fight, because it will make them look bad. It's just like trying to get the good Friday drinking law repealed.

I suggest we chain ourselves to the dail and get boozed up in protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

OK it's now just after 2am and I'm just finished work. hmmm I fancy a pint what do I do?

Better not be seen going to a club or an early house because then I'd be a chronic alcoholic right? I'd probably start a fight or 2 on the way as well.

If only I had thought of going to the offie earlier.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement