Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games that haven't aged well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I played the original Wing Commander recently for the first time in years and I came away quite disappointed. Time has certainly not been kind to the rotated/scaled bitmap graphics and the controls were far more sluggish that I remember. I guess the bar for space-based gaming wasn't quite as high in 1990 (no X-Wing, no TIE Fighter, no Freespace) :).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

FEAR. I remember when it came out and the graphics were quite good (although repetitive ;)), well looking at FEAR now or even the expansions and Condemned 2 show this engine really doesnt cut it too much these days in the graphics dept.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I loved FEAR when it first came out, scared the pants off me. I played through a second time recently and hated it, all the surprises are gone and what's left is just a fairly decent shooter with sometimes cunning AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

chin_grin wrote: »
    The original DooM series. Fantastic games, but now dated compared to the moist-trouser inducing Doom 3
    Blasphemy. I'd sooner play Doom 1/2 today than I would Doom3.

And Quake2 multiplayer is still a fine game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Streets of Rage

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Connect 2.

Sequels were a bit better, I'll admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Way of the Exploding Fist on the Commodore 64.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

carmageddon really looks crap now, don't know how i ever played it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Because it's a great game maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Destruction Derby

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Because it's a great game maybe?

yea it's a great game alright, just a bit surprised by how it looks, I remember it being good graphically though i suppose it was in it's day, will have to dig it out and give it a go, probably won't work on vista though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

The Twisted Metal games on the PSone. Not as much fun as I remember.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

grandia on the ps1 has'nt aged very well :-/,pity too,tis such a great game :).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

grandia on the ps1 has'nt aged very well :-/,pity too,tis such a great game :).

Still looks gorgeous on the saturn, all the textures and 2D sprites are much higher res.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Glydeside white

The age of empire games, on the p.c, they look awful now, compared to when i used to play them for hours on end!! the new ones are ****e, give me rise of nations anyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

IceHawk wrote: »
    Half Life. After playing HL2 I went back for a replay, but my god, it looks crap. Can't wait for Black Mesa: Source
    People are going to kill me for this, but Final Fantasy 7 and 8 look terrible after playing 10 and 12

I strongly disagree, I think Half Life has aged extremely well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, original half life still looks and plays excellent.

well it plays excellent anyway, excellent might be a bit much after having played crysis or cod4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭iPoker

not really into games, but would love to play "rockstar ate my hamster"...anyone remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

iPoker wrote: »
    not really into games, but would love to play "rockstar ate my hamster"...anyone remember?

... but you are into visting forums dedicated to to stuff you're not into.... that makes my feet happy!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Still think Half-Life 1 looks quite nice. Yes the engine has dated incredibly badly but it really did create a fantastic world around it that looked lived in. It also did it in a unique setting unlike most other FPS games that are still using the old sci-fi/WW2/rmodern cliche settings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭rferguson

Streets of Rage

I was just thinking the same thing!!!

oh and "golden axe "for the megadrive

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Crowman

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Still looks gorgeous on the saturn, all the textures and 2D sprites are much higher res.

Yeah it does, but Grandia on the Saturn is all Japanese text!
    (Thank God for Gamefaq.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

rferguson wrote: »
    oh and "golden axe "for the megadrive

Yeah, definitely. Played it a while back. Awful. I still think Streets of Rage isn't too bad though. Excellent music.

Like the intro: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/sega/genesis/sor1.mid

Baldur's Gate 1 has aged very poorly I think. Went to play it recently. Not a great experience. Although its more a case of a sequel improving on the original in almost every aspect. That makes it look very dated.

Also, its suffers from an early case of San Andreas Syndrome - Lots of open space but not a whole lot of content.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Neverwinter nights.
    I remember seeing vids of it when i was playing baldurs gate etc and thought wow BG in actual 3D, but now BG looks better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Double Dragon..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

House of the Dead series, even worse now that they have been released for the Wii.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭chris d

I wonder how many hours i spent waiting for spectrum games to load when i was younger... www.zxspectrum.net Most of those have wilted a bit.

it's weird having one button for 'fire'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

hmmm tokyo extreme racer serise on dreamcast was and still is the bees-knees, as is the later versions on ps2 ( kiado racer )

gta III never actually got old for me and since my new graphics card the entire hl/ counter striek serise is Re-born.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

The original Doom has aged badly. It's a a blurry blood mess now and you can't look up or down! Also Crysis is looking a little rough around the edges ;)

• Advertisement

silvine wrote: »
    The original Doom has aged badly. It's a a blurry blood mess now and you can't look up or down!

It might look crap but it's still an excellent game to play especially if you use the mods that allow you to look up and down and use mouse look controls.

Advertisement