Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL sever questions

Options
  • 25-04-2008 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hoping to find somebody with some SQL Server experience who might be able to help me out.

Came across this code in work and cant figure out what it tells me:mad:

select sysobjects.name, sysobjects.type from syspermissions, sysobjects where syspermissions.id =

sysobjects.id AND syspermissions.grantee = 0

It then spits out a load of things (objects, permission, not actually sure)

Eg sysobjects Type S

plus about 800 others things (with types P, U,FN,X)

cant figure out what the types mean either!:confused:

Can anybody shed any light? :D

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hoping to find somebody with some SQL Server experience who might be able to help me out.

Came across this code in work and cant figure out what it tells me:mad:

select sysobjects.name, sysobjects.type from syspermissions, sysobjects where syspermissions.id =

sysobjects.id AND syspermissions.grantee = 0

It then spits out a load of things (objects, permission, not actually sure)

Eg sysobjects Type S

plus about 800 others things (with types P, U,FN,X)

cant figure out what the types mean either!:confused:

Can anybody shed any light? :D

I presume that is is an internal sql server table use for keeping track of permissions granted to users or soemthing like that. If this is the case you are probably not supposed to know or care what all the stuff in there means.

**EDIT ** This should answer all your questions ;)

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa260604(SQL.80).aspx

Knock yourself out man :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Google can.

A google on sysobjects will give you the following as your second hit :

msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa260447(SQL.80).aspx

The first hit is also quite useful.

I'm going to out on a limb and guess that if I googled syspermissions I'd find something similar.

I'm not trying to be smart, but if that stuff doesn't asnwer your question, then you're not asking what it is you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

look at books online
    the sys tables are not guaranteed to exist in same format for every version of MS SQL

look at SCHEMA_INFO in MS SQL2000 and I think management views in MS SQL 2005

Advertisement