Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Food labeling: Ingredients

• 25-04-2008 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Does a manufacturer have to include all ingredients that go into the making of food if they would of been already present in smaller amounts?

eg: In making guiness a uniform taste, there's 20 different esters that have to be in the right amounts for all batches to taste the same, but obviously there's differences between batches so they add the appropriate quanity to make up the right combinations.

I know alcohol doesn't need igredient listing but am wondering if that is allowed happen with normal food?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

There is still a bit of difference in food labeling, some types of food have different regulations, but in general, all foods should name anything present in significant amounts. In addition, it's normal practice to name anything which might cause allergic reactions if they were present when the food was being prepared, even if they are not officially an ingredient.

However, some companies are very precise about nutritional information, and others only give the basics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_labeling_regulations

I have been reading labels since I was around 10, and know all the tricks. I can spot mistakes on some, basically typos. I must email some companies sometimes, might get a freebie.

Tesco brand alcohol have ingredients and calorific values, just compare like with like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

AFAIK, food labels represent the average content for a batch of the food. If you were to take a portion and test it, there can be some leeway between what is described on the label, and the actual content. (ie it says 20g of fat per 100g, but actually is 25g per 100g).

The difference allowed is controlled by law however.

Advertisement