Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

fiat punto

Options
  • 25-04-2008 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

what up with my wipers...
    ..apart from being broke. driving home and they stopped working well the right one to be exact so I pulled over to investagate and there seems to be no resistance when manually operated(which is no good cause i need two hands to drive) then the left one stops would it be the fuze or the motor.....Im over a barrel as I needs this car for work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

One stops working and then later the second one stops?

Sounds like your linkage. If so, I don't think it's a massive job and shouldn't cost a lot - give your local garage a shout, they'll be able to advise you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Keep the wipers, replace the car! :D;):p

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

esel wrote: »
    Keep the wipers, replace the car! :D;):p
    good one and if I was sober i'd probably say something smart...but seriously ....help:)

As land9 said, it might be the linkage. Look under the bonnet and you may spot the problem. The wipers are usually operated by a single motor, with a rod (the linkage) going to the far wiper. I have no direct experience of Fiats (apart from Papal ones, that is) :D, but the above is worth investigating. The wiper nearest the motor may either be driven directly by the motor, or by a shorter linkage.

Have a sniff around anyway. If you can see what the problem is, and can't sort it out yourself (may just need to be reconnected) at least you can pinpoint the problem to your mechanic and stand less chance of being ripped off.

[disclaimer]I mean no offence to mechanics, who, imo, are a noble, much-maligned breed. Any mechanic who feels aggrieved by the above, please join the disorderly queue outside my Inbox! I charge 'the going rate' (including waiting time) for submitting to verbal abuse. Physical abuse - ymmv.[/disclaimer]

Not your ornery onager

no mate my mechanic is a good guy i was wondering if it was a diy ....yer no yerself

• Advertisement

Aha, OK, hope you have another look when you wake up, it might make more sense then!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Have you replaced the head gasket yet?, maybe it is steam & condensation spitting up from the rad on to your windscreen that requires you to need your wipers more regularly :eek:

I can't remember what kinda setup the punto's are - if you can see the linkage with the bonnet open, you could chance it yourself. Reinstalling the whole lot and setting up the wiper arms is fun, no matter how many times you've done it!
    Sometimes, corrosion will cause the wipers to stick to the linkage - this is where your mechanic friend would be best trained!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭thesoulfulldude

3 friends have puntos, within 3months the cars have pretty much fallen apart! change the car!!

yea it's the linkage arm on the drivers side....it's broke/snapped
    Im off to the breakers yard tomorrow for a replacement part
    Do I need to get the whole system from the moter to the wipers or just the arm on the driver's side
    I've tried getting the broken arm out but it's provin to be a ball beaker any suggestions?
    Cheers

• Advertisement

WD40 and don't be shy with it! Leave it to do it's magic and then spray some more!

You'll need the whole linkage assembly, I don't think they'll take one apart for you.

Cheers lads

Advertisement